Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: 2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs 2018 SQ5 (Redesign)
2017 SQ5 (Final Edition)
60.00%
2018 SQ5 (Redesign)
40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

MY2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs MY2018 SQ5 (Redesign)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs MY2018 SQ5 (Redesign)

I thought it would be a great idea to create a poll based on folks thoughts on getting a final edition MY2017 SQ5 or wait for a MY2018 SQ5 redesign.

Overall when I look at pros & cons for both. I would say for 2017 while a final year model, less issues since the majority of things would be ironed out by now. Still built in Germany. Some individuals prefer the older style cabin vs the new cabin. Where as the new one will have new technology, most likely much more fuel efficient, but built in a brand new plant in Mexico - dealing with a new supply chain.

Looking forward to seeing the poll results!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget there's no guarantee that they'll introduce the SQ5 right away with the redesigned Q5. Could be a year later.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vancouver85
I thought it would be a great idea to create a poll based on folks thoughts on getting a final edition MY2017 SQ5 or wait for a MY2018 SQ5 redesign.

Overall when I look at pros & cons for both. I would say for 2017 while a final year model, less issues since the majority of things would be ironed out by now. Still built in Germany. Some individuals prefer the older style cabin vs the new cabin. Where as the new one will have new technology, most likely much more fuel efficient, but built in a brand new plant in Mexico - dealing with a new supply chain.

Looking forward to seeing the poll results!
By the time the SQ5 goes into production in the new Mexican factory, the teething problems concerning production will already be ironed out. However, SQ5 having a different engine and tranny compared to the Q5 will most likely go through some issues related to early production models.

Personally, if it were me choosing between the '17 SQ5 and '19 SQ5, I would go for the '17 SQ5 in a heartbeat. My reasons would be the same as yours:
1. Still made in Germany
2. Proven tech. Most headaches solved.

I would like to add that the '17 SQ5 will have less tech but that does not bother me. I find that a lot of tech in a car distracts me from enjoying the drive.

I also like to mention that I find the current B8.5 interior to be uniquely Audi. The B9's dash and interior design reminds me of BMW. Audi, it seems to me, has taken styling cues from the BMW design book. An perfect example of manufacturing cost-cutting is when car manufacturers decide that a stuck-on tablet will do. Hey, Mercedes and BMW are doing it, why don't we do it as well. It does not retract but you get a bigger screen. SOLD! Not to me. I do not see and cannot find Audi in the current interior design of the B9 series. The allure is gone.

Good luck with your decision making!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Actually...

If it is typical Audi, there won't be any SQ in 2018. Or, whenever the intro is, if that shifts out another year or whatever. So the poll is comparing apples to make believe. Still relevant to test tried and true vs. new and shiny concepts I suppose.

Product marketing and launch is easily predictable for Audi (and many manufacturers): First they will try to get you to buy "all new" with the base motor, or maybe one up. Then after that is done with in 1-2 years, presto SQ or just the second motor (now 3.0T). "Because vee had to work on it so hardt and it took all zat extra time to... [mold the plastic and fit the motor from the parts bin and the front brakes from base D4/5]" As in, skim the market and price curve. Already following same strategy w/ Q7--one motor only for USA--and it has been done repeatedly in past. And likewise, they are already leaking info about possible upmarket Q7 motor. Would have been two to start presumably, but TDI remains in EPA proctology purgatory.

Thus true poll for back to back availability is current SQ vs. at best the successor to std. 3.0T with a new turbo design. Might get to same power as current SQ I suppose. Maybe as likely, there basically is no 3.0T step like now and SQ is merged down into it. 4 banger is Q5 and whatever the V6 is is broadly labeled "S." Or, MY 2017 as a last hoorah of current vs. (calendar) 2019 or even 2020 for SQ to SQ.

If you want another twist not mentioned on board that I know of so far, imagine a Classic Coke strategy. New one intro'ed from Mexico while current one soldiers on for a while to help maintain supply, smooth out new model wrinkles, more shelf space product marketing theories, etc. Audi has done that in past with Avants on things like A6. They may not have as many Euro these days either for a big plant switchover in Germany when current one is already their #1 seller, and labor unions may have job security worries.

Finally, to both this "Classic Coke" and my Q7 analogies, notice the Audi USA web site right now for the brand new A4. You can look at the "2017" A4 in three trim levels up to Prestige, ALL with same 252HP tweaked 2.0T, or you can look at the "2016" S4. Hmmm.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-31-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

2017 model works for me. As others have said, the bugs should have been worked out after all these years, the exterior design is subdued, classy and timeless, and I can't stand the BMW-esque horizontal dash and video game display between the gages in the upcoming model. Lastly, the current SQ has all the technology I need.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

virtual cockpit is sexy as heck though!
Old 04-01-2016, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

New model for sure.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redesign all the way (I've made that clear in other threads) and have already put a deposit down on one. If by chance the SQ5 is significantly delayed, I might consider switching to the Q6 etron... which is tempting and more expensive. Regardless, more info will be out when it comes time to order one.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I would go for redesign for the refresh and technology update. Given it is a first year model, I would definitely lease.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some interesting points were made and nice to see everyone's responses. It boils down to also need and the earliest I'm hoping to have my new vehicle is early fall, but no later than early winter. At the end of the day even though this product is at the end of its life cycle. It appears that the majority of you recommend to go ahead and order the SQ5. I'm going to head out to test drive one more time and most likely proceed to place my order.

Quick Reply: MY2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs MY2018 SQ5 (Redesign)