Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav system

Question #2. What is the overall feeling about the audi NAV system. The Lexus NAV is one of my dissapointments. I'm dissapointed to see that Audi goes the way of the DVD system as well. Expensive to update.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by auditor
Question #2. What is the overall feeling about the audi NAV system. The Lexus NAV is one of my dissapointments. I'm dissapointed to see that Audi goes the way of the DVD system as well. Expensive to update.
The Lexus Navi is actually better than Audi's except for the infamous Lexus Navi lockout. The Navi on the Q5 is hard drive base, not DVD, but it is still expensive to update.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both and I like the Audi one much better. Had to get used to not having a touch screen but you can pretty much do everything with voice commands so really not an issue (my '04 GX also had voice commands but it sucked). I do find it annoying in that it doesn't show a lot of the street names when zoomed in but not a biggie. The audi will give you a warning to not use it when moving but you can still use it. I thought it funny that after Lexus warned you at start up the only way I could use it in motion is either using an override code every single time I started the car or I could use the RES remote which was a pita. Yes Toyota, I know the driver should be focusing on actually driving when the car is in motion but there's no reason why a passenger shouldn't be able to use it. They could have at least had it hooked in to the passenger airbag off/on and recognized if the weight is there to not grey it out.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So no keyboard for entering addresses, just voice recognition?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Audi nav in the Q5 is hard drive based, not DVD. No, there is no keyboard. You can enter by using MMI **** and scrolling through letters, or voice.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So no keyboard for entering addresses, just voice recognition?
Not so much a keyboard like Lexus, but alphabets on a rotary dial. Trust me the Key board is easier to use. Also, on the Lexus Navi, you can enter a voice command for an street address, cant do that with a Audi. The 2011 A8 is suppose to be able to that. Also, the Lexus Navi displays telephone numbers and one can also enter navi destination by telephone number as well, cant do that in the Audi. Finally, the Lexus point of interest has a much bigger data base. The down side for Lexus like I mention b 4 is the motion lockout and all the finger prints on the navi screen
Old 02-18-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I get mine on Saturday, and from what I have read the NAVI in the Q5 is not voice activated (meaning you cannot use voice commands on the Navi, stereo, etc... as it only works for the phone) is that correct? Do voice commands work on the Nav? What about the stereo?

Originally Posted by hmn4858
I've had both and I like the Audi one much better. Had to get used to not having a touch screen but you can pretty much do everything with voice commands so really not an issue (my '04 GX also had voice commands but it sucked). I do find it annoying in that it doesn't show a lot of the street names when zoomed in but not a biggie. The audi will give you a warning to not use it when moving but you can still use it. I thought it funny that after Lexus warned you at start up the only way I could use it in motion is either using an override code every single time I started the car or I could use the RES remote which was a pita. Yes Toyota, I know the driver should be focusing on actually driving when the car is in motion but there's no reason why a passenger shouldn't be able to use it. They could have at least had it hooked in to the passenger airbag off/on and recognized if the weight is there to not grey it out.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GenSpec
I get mine on Saturday, and from what I have read the NAVI in the Q5 is not voice activated (meaning you cannot use voice commands on the Navi, stereo, etc... as it only works for the phone) is that correct? Do voice commands work on the Nav? What about the stereo?
That is incorrect.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes it uses voice commands. As others have pointed out, hard drive based, not DVD. The user interface leaves much to be desired, far behind the ease of a $200 Garmin portable. The screen and graphics are amazing, worth the purchase price alone. The POI database is the worst I've ever experienced, and I've been using ground and aviation based GPS systems for many years. I believe they only purhcase 1.8 million POI's from Navteq versus 8 million or more for other GPS units. Horrible decision on Audi's part.

Even with those negatives, would I get it again? Yep. And I guess that's the biggest review you can give a product.

phxflyboy
Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
cant do that with a Audi. The 2011 A8 is suppose to be able to that. Also, the Lexus Navi displays telephone numbers and one can also enter navi destination by telephone number as well, cant do that in the Audi.
Actually I don't think that's quite correct. The POI database shows phone numbers and if you have locations stored in your directory and/or have a bluetooh phone with address book hooked up to it you can find a destination that way and then tell it to navigate to that entry. Now if you mean can you look up a entry in the POI database by phone you're correct that isn't possible.

Quick Reply: Nav system