Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Need help to replace parts of my Q5

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to replace parts of my Q5

Hey guys... I own a 2010 Q5 2.0TFSI CDNC which I bought used about 3 years ago.

I just did a general check up on it as it was asking for oil top ups every 300 kms now.

Car needs replacement on several parts which Im gonna buy online because getting them done at the Audi shops here is just too costly.

I need to replace the followings:

1. Engine mounts
2. Pistons, rings, conrods
3. Control arms bushings
4. Brake discs and pads

My questions:

1. Should i get engine mounts with sensors or not? Not sure if the 2010 models come with sensors.
2. Should i replace the conrods as well? Most online sellers only sell the pistons and rings set.
3. Should i replace the whole control arms or just the bushings would be sufficient?

I think that would be my questions for now. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Fun times ahead, 2009 2.0T owner here, went through all those in your list but Control arms. The main issue (oil consumption) is the one to tackle first, you should add a distribution kit and a water pump (metal propeller). Not sure where you are located, but you should be able to contact any reputable parts store with your VIN number and ask for help on OEM parts, there's a lot on your list and again, depending on where you live, just the engine work could cost $3K in parts + labor at an indy shop. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oil Consumption could mean something is leaking as well. Have you checked under the car? I bought a 2010 Q5 3.2 about 2 and a half years ago now and my seals were leaking. I had aftermarket warranty so last year they replaced some seals around the oil filter and somewhere on the back of the motor. The vacuum pump was leaking too and I replaced that on my own for 150ish where Audi wanted $600. Then just recently they replaced my valve cover seals and oil pan seal. They did an inspection on my suspension and told me I need to replace some bushings on the front end too but I will wait on that.

For the control arm bushings it is easier to get it complete with bushings installed unless you can find the bushings separately and have a press to press them out and press them back in...
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sixth
Oil Consumption could mean something is leaking as well. Have you checked under the car? I bought a 2010 Q5 3.2 about 2 and a half years ago now and my seals were leaking. I had aftermarket warranty so last year they replaced some seals around the oil filter and somewhere on the back of the motor. The vacuum pump was leaking too and I replaced that on my own for 150ish where Audi wanted $600. Then just recently they replaced my valve cover seals and oil pan seal. They did an inspection on my suspension and told me I need to replace some bushings on the front end too but I will wait on that.

For the control arm bushings it is easier to get it complete with bushings installed unless you can find the bushings separately and have a press to press them out and press them back in...
It's a 2.0T: "I own a 2010 Q5 2.0TFSI CDNC which I bought used about 3 years ago", I've got the same engine code, worst batch ever, I'm 99% sure he needs new pistons, rings, conrods, distribution kit and water pump. And I forgot to mention the PCV valve, and very likely the RMS, not the best batch that CDNC engine code
Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
It's a 2.0T: "I own a 2010 Q5 2.0TFSI CDNC which I bought used about 3 years ago", I've got the same engine code, worst batch ever, I'm 99% sure he needs new pistons, rings, conrods, distribution kit and water pump. And I forgot to mention the PCV valve, and very likely the RMS, not the best batch that CDNC engine code
Have you tried pushing it to Audi to get it all fixed since its definitely a defect on their side?

Im inclined to just buy the cheaper after market parts and hope it can give me a few more years of usage.

I doubt that its still sellable with the many costly fixes it needs.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by b0urg301s13
Have you tried pushing it to Audi to get it all fixed since its definitely a defect on their side?

Im inclined to just buy the cheaper after market parts and hope it can give me a few more years of usage.

I doubt that its still sellable with the many costly fixes it needs.
Mine was indeed fixed by Audi, most of the issues. It's a problematic batch the 2009-2011 (pre-facelift) but once all issues are fixed it runs pretty good, no oil consumption.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Might consider the timing chain (belt?) while the engine is open, since the Audi engines are "interference fit" and if that chain fails, you're in for a major engine job again. IIRC the spec should be to change it at somewhere between 50-100k miles. If that was never done, might as well do it now.