Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New 2016 Q5. Help picking SD Card

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2016 Q5. Help picking SD Card

Hi All,

New to the Audi family. I just purchased a 2016 Q5 with Premium Plus & Technology.

I want to load up an SD card so I can see album artwork and all that good stuff. I have a LARGE amount of music so was hoping I could use a 64 gb or 128 gb SD card but the manual states 32 gb SDHC. Does anyone know if the system will work with larger cards? I'd prefer to have one 64 gb card loaded up instead of 2 32gb cards. Can this cause any issues with the MMI?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Weird. I saw someone responded via email but I don't see the reply on here.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Search is your friend:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...acity-2886932/

Only it is important that the card is formatted as FAT32

Last edited by spijun; 09-08-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a somewhat related note, has anyone noticed that it takes a fairly long time to access the media? When i press the "Media" button, I get the "media is being loaded..." message that stays on for about 30 seconds before it shows the list of contents and starts playing.

I wonder if this is directly proportionate to the amount of media you have on the card. In my case, I have one 32GB card that's less than 50% full. I guess I need to insert an almost empty card and see if it's any quicker, to verify.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
On a somewhat related note, has anyone noticed that it takes a fairly long time to access the media? When i press the "Media" button, I get the "media is being loaded..." message that stays on for about 30 seconds before it shows the list of contents and starts playing.

I wonder if this is directly proportionate to the amount of media you have on the card. In my case, I have one 32GB card that's less than 50% full. I guess I need to insert an almost empty card and see if it's any quicker, to verify.
I'm new to all of this but could it possibly be an issue with the sd card? Do you have an extra SD card to check with?

My understanding though is that it does have to essentially scan the sd card every time it's initially accessed. Would stand to reason that the more data on the card the longer the delay.

I'm thinking I may just go the same route as you.

If you don't mind, could you tell me if you can play songs in a random order off the sd card? That's one of the features I like most about having so much music at the ready....i keep hearing conflicting reports about how to go about randomizing music off the SD card.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

From the SD card, shuffle works on files within a directory (and only files, no subdirectories). Playlists act as directories as far as the MMI is concerned, so you can organize the MP3s however you like, then create whatever playlists you want pointing to the various files, and be able to randomize within a playlist. Or just have the files lying around loose in a directory, but playlists allow you to control the order whereas loose files will be alphabetical.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah
I'm new to all of this but could it possibly be an issue with the sd card?
Nah, it's not the card. My advice: get used to it: this MMI on Q5 is fairly outdated by today's standards and quite slow overall.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 128GB SD card in my '16. Just make sure you format to FAT32.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

128GB = SDXC, not "SD".

SD=2GB max
SDHC=32GB max
SDXC=something obscene like 2TB, but little equipment supports more than 64GB or 128GB so far, because the host hardware can't count higher numbers.

The MMI does better than the AMI (which pretends any files beyond the first 32GB just aren't there) but there's something to be said for making "mix chips" with just one directory, and simply keeping a half dozen of them in the ash tray to swap out.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Redd
128GB = SDXC, not "SD".
That's like saying Audi Q5 is not an Audi.

SD is a standard that encompassess all of the following:
- SDSC (standard capacity)
- SDHC (high capacity)
- SDXC (extended capacity)

but there's something to be said for making "mix chips" with just one directory, and simply keeping a half dozen of them in the ash tray to swap out.
Alternatively, if you have MMI, just have two cards inserted at all times. One card can have all music neatly cataloged in folders. The other can have everything in a single folder, allowing for random play. But that's probably more work than just auto-creating a single playlist that will cover all the files in all folders. I forget what the limit is on the number of entries in a playlist. There is also a limit on the number of files in a single folder.

Quick Reply: New 2016 Q5. Help picking SD Card