Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New B&O System Controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New B&O System Controls

I noticed that the new B&O system in my 2016 3.0T doesn't have as many control options as the system in my 2013 had. Besides the balance/fader & surround focus and level the only 2 things you can adjust are bass and treble. I know my old system had a mid-range (or something like that) control and I think there was a subwoofer adjustment as well. Does anyone know if there is a VCDS or hidden menu tweak to get more controls to show or did they just strip them in the new system version? I can't seem to get this system to sound as good as my old one with only bass & treble adjustments. Not impressed so far.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow. Our 2016 A3 with B&O has the mid control and no sub-woofer control. Our 2011 Q5 no B&O and has the mid control and no sub-woofer control. Wonder if it is something that can be coded VCDS?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Wow. Our 2016 A3 with B&O has the mid control and no sub-woofer control. Our 2011 Q5 no B&O and has the mid control and no sub-woofer control. Wonder if it is something that can be coded VCDS?
Found this on page 29 of the MMI Nav Plus operating manual clearly showing a subwoofer control and "settings depend on vehicle equipment." Well I have a subwoofer so I wonder what other equipment I need for that control to be available? It's probably in the program somewhere but not active as with so many other features that need VCDS. It says on the next page that #4 "HÖHEN" means treble. Still no mid control which kinda sucks. Looks like back to the dealer to try and figure this out. Now that the only way to get the B&O system is to buy the not so cheap Nav package, one would think that all available controls should be there.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Neither my 2009 A4 and 2013 A6, both with B&O, did/do not have a mid range control, just bass, treble, DSP and fader settings as shown in the last post photo. I believe only the Bose system had mid range and/or sub woofer controls.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Neither my 2009 A4 and 2013 A6, both with B&O, did/do not have a mid range control, just bass, treble, DSP and fader settings as shown in the last post photo. I believe only the Bose system had mid range and/or sub woofer controls.
Does either/both cars have Nav? I went back to my sales guy today to ask about this. First I went to the 2013 I just traded which has B&O but no Nav to see if my memory was still intact. It does have a mid range control but no subwoofer ****.

2013 3.0T w/o Nav Display

I showed the sales guy the picture in the manual from my 2016 with the subwoofer control. He correctly pointed out that the picture in the book does not say B&O above the DSP control. We looked at the display on my 2016 and it does say B&O above the DSP so as you mentioned, the manual is showing the Bose system setup. There was still the question of why the 2013 w/ B&O has a mid range control and the 2016 doesn't. The only thing he could think of is that the new one has Nav and the old one doesn't so apparently the software is different. That's why I asked you about the Nav on yours. Other than that he didn't know why they took the mid range control out with the Nav systems and suggested I call AoA to see if there was any way to program it back in or if it was scrubbed altogether. I played around a little with the available controls on the 16 and was able to improve it a little. Will be contacting AoA to ask about it but I'm not expecting much help there.

Thanks for your help Snagit
Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I'm not sure why the non-nav would have mid control since typically that's just effectively like turning the volume up and both treble and bass down. Without the separate mid setting, you're controlling treble and bass relative to the mids, so in your sample of the non-nav MMI, it looks like you'd probably do something like -3 treble and -1 bass to get the same effect.

Most likely it's just a matter of a basic list being able to be as long as necessary while with the preferred "round" display for the higher-level MMI's UI you run out of realistic space quickly so they cut out the things that weren't completely necessary.

Still odd that there's a difference depending on the version of the MMI, though, as you'd think the lower-level MMI would simply have the "basic"-style list of the exact same options.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my experience with various Audi loaners, only non B&O systems have a separate subwoofer control. I don't know Audi's reasoning behind this but yours is as I would expect. This is the case for both my cars with B&O and my previous S4.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Perhaps the $5900 2013 A6 B&O Prestige system is different than B8 models like the Q5 with B&O. My '09 A4 was a much simpler B&O system but as I mentioned, neither had mid range or sub control. Both models have had nav with the digital MOST transport system though. It could be it's something to do with non-nav B&O being different because it does not employ the MOST system.

I agree, from an EQ perspective, having a mid range control is really not much different than turning the bass and treble down while increasing the volume or vice versa. In any case, I can't imagine there is any way to change the software even with VCDS.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Honestly I'm not sure why the non-nav would have mid control since typically that's just effectively like turning the volume up and both treble and bass down. Without the separate mid setting, you're controlling treble and bass relative to the mids, so in your sample of the non-nav MMI, it looks like you'd probably do something like -3 treble and -1 bass to get the same effect.
UI you run out of realistic space quickly so they cut out the things that
Most likely it's just a matter of a basic list being able to be as long as necessary while with the preferred "round" display for the higher-level MMI's weren't completely necessary.

Still odd that there's a difference depending on the version of the MMI, though, as you'd think the lower-level MMI would simply have the "basic"-style list of the exact same options.
Originally Posted by snagitseven
Perhaps the $5900 2013 A6 B&O Prestige system is different than B8 models like the Q5 with B&O. My '09 A4 was a much simpler B&O system but as I mentioned, neither had mid range or sub control. Both models have had nav with the digital MOST transport system though. It could be it's something to do with non-nav B&O being different because it does not employ the MOST system.

I agree, from an EQ perspective, having a mid range control is really not much different than turning the bass and treble down while increasing the volume or vice versa. In any case, I can't imagine there is any way to change the software even with VCDS.
Thanks guys for the suggestion. It does sound better (to me) that way, still not as good as my old one. Sound system preferences are really subjective for the most part, everyone's ears are different. I put a call in to AoA as per suggestion from the sales Rep. The guy at AoA thinks there should be a subwoofer control showing on the display the same as the pic in the manual? He asked me, "Do you have a subwoofer?" - yes And, "Is it plugged in?" - yes. I thought I had accidently contacted an overseas Microsoft help center. He's going to research more and get back with me. When I checked the sub to make sure it was connected, at first I thought it was turned off completely or maybe broken. With the sub removed from the spare wheel, I put on an MP3 from my SD card that has a ton of heavy base on it and cranked it up. I had to hold the sub up to my ear to hear anything and felt only a very slight vibration coming from the box. Either something is screwed up or if not, it's a p-poor system. (insert old guy hearing problem comments here).
Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Lots of folks have upgraded their sub woofer and amp. Do a search.