Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New 2016 Q5 TDI Base Audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2016 Q5 TDI Base Audio upgrade

I recently purchased a new 2016 Q5 TDI without the tech package, hence without the B & O audio upgrade.
Within a couple of hours of driving the vehicle, I noted, in my opinion, it sounds excessively boomy and lacks clarity, especially when listening to satellite radio .
I don't believe the boominess is attributed to the stock sub-woofer, as the plastic sub-woofer case appears weightless and is somewhat smothered under the rear cargo floor and the Audi all weather mat.
I believe it's likely due to the surprising absence of front door tweeters in the base audio system (I'm not hearing any sound emanating from the front door tweeter grills)
and the substitution of the two mid-range drivers on either end the dashboard. I would like to replace the door speakers with two sets of Focal separate speakers I've used in
my previous two vehicles. I plan on replacing the front door woofers and dash mid-range speakers with a focal 6" woofer in each door and 1" tweeters in the dash
where the mid-range speakers are located.
The rear door separates will be replaced with identical focal separate speakers. I intend to power the replacement speakers with a Focal four channel 75 watt amp via a LC 6 line-out converter,
both of which are carry-overs previously installed in two earlier vehicles. Since I already own all of the replacement components my only expense will be the installation labor charge and the cost of the wire.
I've read on this forum about various issues members have had upgrading the sub-woofer. Has anyone upgraded the other speakers in the base system or attempted to add additional
amplification via a line-out converter. Thanks.