Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Owner - Having Issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Having Issues :(

Hello everyone! New owner here. Was`so excited when I finally got my q5 premium plus. It is certified used. New tires, new fans, new adjustment and rotation before it came off the lot. But! I'm noticing other issues. The service light came on, every now and then a message " turn engine off check coolant levels" has started coming on , but the temp gauge isn't moving ( I'm stopping after work to get coolant) There;s also a clicking sound when I slow down or brake.Is this a common issue? I've contacted the dealership because there is a year warranty. Also, are there any other common issues I should keep an eye out for in the future? I am a single mom so I'm not that familiar with technical car lingo lol

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Please let us know what year and engine type for your Q5. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

q5 3.2 quattro
Old 03-21-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Hello Camelia, none of the issues you describe are "normal", especially the coolant related one, you should bring the car back to the dealer and have them inspect it, and while you are there let them know about your other concerns. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Is the car throwing any codes?
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Camelia
Hello everyone! New owner here. Was`so excited when I finally got my q5 premium plus. It is certified used. New tires, new fans, new adjustment and rotation before it came off the lot. But! I'm noticing other issues. The service light came on, every now and then a message " turn engine off check coolant levels" has started coming on , but the temp gauge isn't moving ( I'm stopping after work to get coolant) There;s also a clicking sound when I slow down or brake.Is this a common issue? I've contacted the dealership because there is a year warranty. Also, are there any other common issues I should keep an eye out for in the future? I am a single mom so I'm not that familiar with technical car lingo lol

Thanks!
https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/
Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2012 Q5

Originally Posted by Camelia

Thanks!
First Did you buy from an AUDI dealer? To my knowledge your 2012 is too old to be Certified from an AUDI dealer. If you did get it from an independent dealer (not Audi) then then thereis no Audi Certification & your only recourse then is what you can get from the selling dealer. Read any Certification info you received@ the time of purchase

Last edited by greasykid; 03-24-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Welcome. Several replies already. As you can tell, we need a little more factual background to try to provide clearer pointers. The things you mention thus far should be fixable and hopefully not a big production. But it's important alongside to try to help you understand what warranty you really have (or not).

Thus, as mentioned, was the selling dealer an actual Audi one--who sells new cars along side--or was it a non Audi or used car dealer? On the warranty, as an FYI I think it it may still possible it could be an Audi CPO one-=-even from a non Audi dealer--but it has to thread a pretty specific needle. That is, the car was already bought used by the prior owner and you picked up the remaining period of maybe the (prior 6yr) CPO warranty from the earlier buyer. Or, it might be a private party one where someone (incorrectly) used the CPO terminology. Or, unfortunately ir might just be dealer "trust us" type talk. W/ somewhat more background on where it was purchased and the name/description type language around the warranty, we can zoom in better.

Please also clarify exactly what light came on. Did it really say "service" as part of the words, like in the center display. Or was it the more common orange light with the lightning bolt look called the "check engine light" (CEL) by most mechanics or enthusiast types? Candidly, I'm suspicious on some of what you describe as unfortunate used car bad stereotype stuff--especially a check engine type light shortly after purchase if it was that. That can arise when someone CONSCIOUSLY goes in and clears (and thus hides) codes and the check engine light issue without fixing the problem. Some issues are such that it takes a few driving cycles for the check engine light to come on again. Not fair and honest play, but let's get more context first. If it was the truly the (10,000 mile) service light, then it does happen every 10K miles or annually, but a car cleaned up for sale like you describe really should have had pending annual maintenance just short miles or a week or two away attended to before sale. W/ warranty coverage meantime, you won't hopefully have to get into the sales related possible questions.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.