AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   No more tow hitch available for 2014 SQ5? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/no-more-tow-hitch-available-2014-sq5-2849192/)

larryV 06-17-2013 10:29 AM

No more tow hitch available for 2014 SQ5?

I just noticed this change on the most recent (6/10/14) revision of the order guide that Mark P posted.

The port-installed two hitch options 5TH and ATH are now gone!

wtf?! I'm guessing this may be because Audi has yet to make a version of the SQ5 bumper with a cut-out panel for US-spec tow hitches?

Oh well, I wasn't really planning on towing with the SQ5 anyway... just thought it might come in handy one day for a bike mount or something like that.

larryV 06-17-2013 02:06 PM

Update: Dealer just confirmed that currently, SQ5 cannot be ordered with port-installed tow hitches (5TH or ATH). He has 2 other available allocations for SQ5 and tried to build one with the tow hitch but the ordering system was no longer showing it as an option on the SQ5 anymore.

He did say that my order that was entered into the system months ago and already pulled for production end of May still has option 5TH tow hitch listed. He has made an inquiry with Audi as to what will happen and currently awaiting reply. For now he doesn't believe it will delay production of my SQ5 and said that worse case scenario, the car will be built, shipped, then if it happens to arrive and the port doesn't have the parts needed for an SQ5 hitch install because Audi decided to can it for the model, then my order would just get a credit for the missing tow hitch and the msrp adjusted accordingly.

Mark P 06-17-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by larryV (Post 24455625)
Update: Dealer just confirmed that currently, SQ5 cannot be ordered with port-installed tow hitches (5TH or ATH). He has 2 other available allocations for SQ5 and tried to build one with the tow hitch but the ordering system was no longer showing it as an option on the SQ5 anymore.

He did say that my order that was entered into the system months ago and already pulled for production end of May still has option 5TH tow hitch listed. He has made an inquiry with Audi as to what will happen and currently awaiting reply. For now he doesn't believe it will delay production of my SQ5 and said that worse case scenario, the car will be built, shipped, then if it happens to arrive and the port doesn't have the parts needed for an SQ5 hitch install because Audi decided to can it for the model, then my order would just get a credit for the missing tow hitch and the msrp adjusted accordingly.

I guess that means the same is true for the Hybrid - I had previously noted it was not listed in there either.

Reggie 06-17-2013 06:34 PM

Perhaps they will be installed at the factory now

Mark P 06-17-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 24455721)
Perhaps they will be installed at the factory now

But they're not in the Order Guide anymore. Unless you mean they'll be standard on all SQ5s?

Reggie 06-17-2013 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mark P (Post 24455727)
But they're not in the Order Guide anymore. Unless you mean they'll be standard on all SQ5s?

I would not be surprised if that were the case.

Mark P 06-18-2013 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 24455737)
I would not be surprised if that were the case.

Doubtful. I can't imagine they'd make a hitch standard on a "sensitive" Hybrid or a "sporty" SQ5, while making it optional on the "standard" gas engine models or the "beefy" TDI offering. Seems much more likely it's not available at all on the sensitive and sporty models.

larryV 06-19-2013 03:08 PM

My dealer just got a response from a regional manager who went up the chain at AoA.

Initial SQ5 orders with 5TH and ATH will be built with a tow hitch but any new orders will not. No delays expected on existing SQ5 orders specified with tow hitches. Regular Q5 can still be be ordered with tow hitches (so there doesn't seem to be a parts shortage)

No reason was given.

*shrug*

I'm glad my order still has it but heads up to those ordering now... of you want a factory/port-installed tow hitch, don't order an SQ5.

Mark P 06-19-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by larryV (Post 24456620)
My dealer just got a response from a regional manager who went up the chain at AoA.

Initial SQ5 orders with 5TH and ATH will be built with a tow hitch but any new orders will not. No delays expected on existing SQ5 orders specified with tow hitches. Regular Q5 can still be be ordered with tow hitches (so there doesn't seem to be a parts shortage)

No reason was given.

*shrug*

I'm glad my order still has it but heads up to those ordering now... of you want a factory/port-installed tow hitch, don't order an SQ5.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing

MP4.2+6.0 06-19-2013 08:19 PM

Speculating, but still could be a (bit) parts shortage; plus, the Hybrid angle

But rather than the core hitch or its harness (for side assist or not) as far as parts shortages, think about the little bit stuff like wire harness clips and other things that can vary slightly in the rear area with either different bumper covers or a hybrid battery pack. German precision stereotypes would probably freak at the prospect of a few zip ties any of us who have installed hitches and wiring as a DIY would frequently use.

I'm also watching this some from the Hybrid perspective--I have mine included w/ my 2013 for Euro delivery next month and then subsequent port install. Buried in the maintenance specs for the Hybrid is a tranny fluid change every 30K miles. The Hybrid is the 8 speed ZF like most other newer Audi designs with the AT but puts the hybrid electric power unit into the torque converter location. Wouldn't surprise me with the peak torque if it is the 3.0T or TDI level AT spec, since they sized the brakes up similarly. It leaves me thinking that without the conventional torque converter to absorb some of the drivetrain sudden forces, particularly when it is not in the lock up converter mode, somebody decided a periodic fluid change here was in order--uniquely to the Hybrid among all Audi's using the ZF 8AT AFAIK. We'll see if it's the more typical Audi early order material typos or parts teething pains, or something more than that on the Hybrid.