Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

No oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No oil?

I recently had the dealer perform an oil change on a Q5 3.0 tdi. My wife drove it home about 10 miles & it said add one quart. I added the quart. I didn't think much about it & should have checked the oil level when it got hot again. Several days later & about 90 more miles, the display said add one quart. I did it again, only this time I got the display to show the oil level. It did not read anything. I added the second quart & it came up to the minimum level. I called the dealer & they said to drive it in on Monday & then decided it would be best to pick it up now with a flatbed. They said I was probably overfilling it & that a sensor went bad. I think they didn't put any oil in it, but question if it was possible to drive it the 90 miles with just one quart? Anyone ever experienced a oil level sensor going bad at an oil change or any ideas on cya? There are no oil leaks or spots.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Probably but unlikely at any decent dealer, get yourself a dipstick and measure it the old and reliable way, part number should be 06E115611H for the 3.0T.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pressure and/or oil temperature alarms should go off if you didnt have oil in the system.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Nothing went off other than add one quart.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you lose oil pressure the engine should go into limp mode and then promptly shut down. What you likely got was the level warning. Probably 1.5 quarts low at that point. But total fill volume is 5 quarts. (FWIM most cars only have 3-4). so you still have probably 3-3.5. Not good, but still above the pickup unless you are taking a freeway on ramp at high G loads or on a nascar oval.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The dealer claimed the O ring for the filter was crimped and the oil escaped from that point. New O ring & topped it off.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiJoe
The dealer claimed the O ring for the filter was crimped and the oil escaped from that point. New O ring & topped it off.
How much oil did you actually lose?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"The dealer claimed the O ring for the filter was crimped"
And for this you are allowed the privilege of paying, what, $150 an hour for service? (sigh)

These are the reasons why I try to do my own service on things like an oil change. At least I make an ATTEMPT to see that things like the filter o-ring are there and in working condition....

A service writer (and dealership policy) that had half a brain would say "We're really sorry about that, Joe. And by the way, your next oil change IS ON US, FREE, because we really value your business and we want you to come back again. This is not up to our standards."

The small difference between "hero" and "zero".
Old 11-03-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"The dealer claimed the O ring for the filter was crimped"
And for this you are allowed the privilege of paying, what, $150 an hour for service? (sigh)

These are the reasons why I try to do my own service on things like an oil change. At least I make an ATTEMPT to see that things like the filter o-ring are there and in working condition....

A service writer (and dealership policy) that had half a brain would say "We're really sorry about that, Joe. And by the way, your next oil change IS ON US, FREE, because we really value your business and we want you to come back again. This is not up to our standards."

The small difference between "hero" and "zero".
The oil filter on the 3.0 sits high on the engine, it's a permanent canister with a replacement pleated filter inside. If the canister O-ring was damaged and the oil was lost, the engine would be completely covered in oil (surely the owner would have noticed this), and the under engine pan would have been dripping oil at the parking spot. I lean towards the dealer didn't put in the correct amount of oil and was covering this with his bogus O-ring story.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, they probably re-filled with 5 qts. Doesn't the diesel hold 7 qts or more??

Quick Reply: No oil?