Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

No oil?

Old 11-03-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yeah, they probably re-filled with 5 qts. Doesn't the diesel hold 7 qts or more??
Yes, 7 qts.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

we had the same issue last year, add oil each time it complained of too little oil
took it to a dealer when on vacation and they reported that the car had too much oil
they took out the oil and replaced a few sensors. they said to state it to the local dealer on the next service.

there is some audi bulletin about a faulty sensor that causes users to add too much oil

both too little and too much oil can be an issue

everyone, should ask their dealer to check for and replace faulty oil sensors
Old 11-03-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by waninae39
we had the same issue last year, add oil each time it complained of too little oil
took it to a dealer when on vacation and they reported that the car had too much oil
they took out the oil and replaced a few sensors. they said to state it to the local dealer on the next service.

there is some audi bulletin about a faulty sensor that causes users to add too much oil

both too little and too much oil can be an issue

everyone, should ask their dealer to check for and replace faulty oil sensors
This is why many of us on this forum bought an oil dipstick and use it!

The dealer is suppose to use a dipstick when they change your oil, but most don't.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
This is why many of us on this forum bought an oil dipstick and use it!

The dealer is suppose to use a dipstick when they change your oil, but most don't.
+1 for the trusty dipstick!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Reminds me of the winter (too much snow on the ground too long) that I took my last car into a chain to get the oil changed. I figured hey, clean and dry, beats me laying in the snow. Nope. I had to show the greasemonkey WHERE the oil filter was (it was literally tucked out of sight) and THEN I had to lend him the end-cap wrench which was the only way to access it.

Yeah, easier sometimes to just DIY. Too easy for a shop with a 100-gallon oil tank and a hose to just "dial in" the wrong amount for a given fill. And with no dipstick, well..."Sir, we'll need to keep your car overnight so the oil level computer has time to reset and show us the new level".

Uh, "Homey don't think so!"
Old 11-05-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I've just performed my 14th oil change this weekend.(14 Tdi) The ultrasonic level sensor has been spot on even though I was sceptical from the outset.I am of the opinion that the brand of oil you use is critical.I've seen lots of level sensors that fail due to a buildup of a brown/orange film on the surface that messes with their effectiveness.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked for an aftermarket dipstick. The only one I found was for the earlier tdi engine & not the 2014. Normally I do all of the work on my cars, from rebuilding to painting. Ms Ducati drives this one, and for whatever reason on her stuff I let the dealer deal with it. I guess I need to start doing this as well.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:11 AM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, this is what happens when you take your car into the dealer to get serviced, and they forget to put the "fake dipstick" plug back on where the dipstick should be. Your engine takes an oil bath and it smells terrible.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

joe-
I'd try calling ecstuning.com and asking them for the correct part. They tend to carry all these things and while they're often not the cheapest source, their customer service is supposed to be worth it.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Redd I agree they don't tend to give "off the cuff" answers to important questions.They do their research.
What concerns me about them is a trend away from OEM parts to other sources, probably related to Audi making Q5s in China - not for our market but...they used to offer a wide range of European sourced parts that were generally good.Not so much today.I'm not going to spend my hard earned $ on stuff from 034Motorsport. Sorry but !
My goodness just ran across this from Jalopnik.Somewhat disconcerting.
https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-emplo...g-a-1827474482
In fact it's so negative that I wonder if it's not some nefarious effort by Jalopnik to stear business away and towards some other entity ? Hope not I've always trusted Jalopnik for info.

Last edited by MurrayA4; 11-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No oil?