Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Not 2000 miles, scratched! -- Seattle Eastside body shop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not 2000 miles, scratched! -- Seattle Eastside body shop?

Well, the car is not yet 2000 miles, and I found out yesterday that the right front wheel arch was scratched

Problem is, I don't even know how it got there. With a new car, I had been exceedingly careful, I use park assist lavishly, and I am quite sure I haven't heard any scratching sounds. It doesn't look like it is caused by another driver either. If it is caused by someone getting in or out of a parking spot, etc., I would think the damage will be at the corners of the car, not the side. Right?

Anyway, the extent of the damage seems to be beyond help of the Doctor, don't you think? I would appreciate any and all suggestions, in particular body shops in the Seattle Eastside area. TIA!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like house paint. Like someone
Was pushing a dresher past your car and rubbed up on your car.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

1st step - get a polishing compound and give it a good rub into this area. Might be surprised how well it cleans up if the damage is superficial. Looks like there is paint transfer and a compound will remove that. Failing that, as there appears to be no actual dents, a small area repair would possibly be a better option than a body shop that will spray/blend the entire panel.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default That's a classic parking one:

Sorry to see that.

Two possibilities:

1. You hit something, either a garage door frame kind of thing, or when turning sharply to the right.

2. Someone hit you while reversing and turning out of a space; the front bumper cover of another vehicle (probably SUV or large minivan sized given where the marks are) hit yours as it reversed out of a nose in type space. Given how far forward it is, it could have even been another vehicle parked diagonally opposite you and then it got too close somehow, likely still in a turning motion. To me the scraping suggests the other vehicle or object travelled from front to back in the damage area of your Q5.

I've seen both issues over the years. Even if there is no denting/crease in the surfaces, I suspect the scratches are too deep to polish out fully (but see below), particularly the one right behind where the natural crease is in the bumper skin (just about in the center of the pic.), and then maybe the fleck of paint seemingly missing above and toward the wheel right at the seam between the parts.

If you want to go to the shop, there will be the deductible (assuming you have collision that is). If you want to DIY and there is no body scrape/creasing/ding, probably 90-95% of what you see will actually buff out--some polishing compound on a buffing pad done by hand, then some wax. Assuming this is the front bumper, you will probably have more "war damage" over time anyway, so you might want to hold the bumper cover for the "next" one.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by GregH
1st step - get a polishing compound and give it a good rub into this area. Might be surprised how well it cleans up if the damage is superficial. Looks like there is paint transfer and a compound will remove that. Failing that, as there appears to be no actual dents, a small area repair would possibly be a better option than a body shop that will spray/blend the entire panel.

Good luck.
+1. Someone rubbed my wife's Odyssey and left red paint on the fender/rear bumper. It all came off with polishing compound, and there was only a very minor scratch left.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you everybody!

I agree that a full body shop paint job is too much since the bumper will get "war damaged" soon anyways.

It seems best for me to try to polish and retouch as needed. From this forum, it appears that drcolorchip.com is highly regarded. But I am completely at a loss as to what type of polish to use. I did a search, and on top of polish galore--Meguiar's alone has 3 or 4--there are also rubbing compound, scratch remover, clay bar...etc. etc.

Some direction is appreciated! Which product would you recommend?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Griot's Garage #2 polish, and one of their buffers helps. If you're close to Tacoma, go to the main store. I drive down from Seattle to restock my "potions" from there.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

In the Meguiar's range, Ultimate Compound is the one to get. Get yourself a foam hand applicator pad also as this makes for a safe and most effective result.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. I got the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, mainly because I don't want to wait for shipping, and don't have time to make the 2 hour round trip drive to the store. And I am very happy with the result:

Question: As you can see, some faint scratches are still visible, but I am reluctant to continue rubbing in case I take off too much clear coat from the good parts. I am completely new to this. Is this the best I could do using this method?

Since there are 5 spots where the scratch goes all the way to the plastic (?) of the bumper, the next step would be to apply some touch up paint, which I will order tomorrow. Stay tuned
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Yes, as you are realizing, I would not go further...

The stuff that is left would go deep into the paint itself (and not just the clearcoat for that matter) to get out.

If it were mine, I might use touch up paint on the scratch right at the bumper seam in picture #2, but I would use more like Dr. colorchip http://www.drcolorchip.com for what is in the first picture. It's really easy to end up with a acne medicine looking mess with regular touch up paint in tiny spots--worse looking w/ the paint than without.

Quick Reply: Not 2000 miles, scratched! -- Seattle Eastside body shop?