Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
There's a reason why VW put in the "defeat device", and I strongly suspect it's a serious performance issue, both in terms of vehicle drivability and MPG. When the vehicles get recalled and their software revised to remove the defeat device, owners will likely be very unhappy with the result. They have to make up for a factor of 40 in emissions.

We'll have to see if Q5 TDIs will be impacted.

The lawyers are licking their lips.
Can you imagine the fallout? If they lower my MPG & HP they better write me a check for the TDI and take it away. How this is handed with determine if I purchase another VW product or not
Old 09-20-2015, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
The key words there are "for now"; recalls tend to have a habbit of expanding. You can bet that someone right now is checking the 3.0 TDI.

Very upset with VW/Audi for doing this. It's unethical behavior of the highest norm, and while I'm not a fan of frivolous law suits, or an overzealous legal system, if the allegations are true, they deserve everything that gets thrown at them. If I bought a 2.0 TDI, and the recall zaps the performance, I'd basically be wanting a refund in full.

I'm also watching them very closely to see how they react.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
Can you imagine the fallout? If they lower my MPG & HP they better write me a check for the TDI and take it away. How this is handed with determine if I purchase another VW product or not
We'll see. I suspect they'll do their hardest to limit damage to US Market. I think the CEO will survive, but I'd be stunned if senior heads did not roll in US.

I suspect there might be a longer term issue if the diesels will survive in the US market. Paris looks like banning them from 2020, and London is considering it. This dents the US market, and we may see a pull back from the TDIs.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is an interesting read. They hypothesize that DEF/Bluetec is at the heart of the issue:>

EPA says VW running massive Clean Air scam via Jettas, Audis, Passats : Biofuels Digest
Old 09-21-2015, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the issues is, the 2.0's do not use DEF or have an SCR system like the 3.0 engines have. Therefore they have higher NoX output. VW didn't want to add a DEF/SCR solution to the small engine therefore they just fooled the system. The 3.0 engines should be fine.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Audi will still be replacing the engine on my Q5 for the oil consumption issue. They might not be able to afford it now.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I think the reason the 2.0 is nicked is because of the lack of DEF.. The bigger cars use DEF, and I think it's easier to get them to make good power cleanly.

The SQ5 TDI issue is because that car does not have a DEF system, but it will soon. Then, maybe, just maybe..
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Yes the issues is, the 2.0's do not use DEF or have an SCR system like the 3.0 engines have. Therefore they have higher NoX output. VW didn't want to add a DEF/SCR solution to the small engine therefore they just fooled the system. The 3.0 engines should be fine.
I expected it was due to lack of DEF as well, but the Passat had already been using DEF and the latest-gen Golfs (so presumably Jettas as well) have started (I was surprised to see the fill cap when we were looking at a Mk7 TDI for my wife), yet 2015s are included in the "affected" statement so I'm a little confused as I would've expected just the DEF-less model years to potentially be affected as it would've been a "transition" period where VW wasn't quite meeting EPA emissions but wasn't set with the changes to make it back into compliance.

Regardless, it's only the transverse 2.0 TDIs that are affected. All the 3.0 TDIs (which weren't advertising anywhere near the level of fuel consumption the 2.0s were) shouldn't have the defeat unit as the selling point isn't "huge MPG" so the exact number they can get isn't quite as important, and they've just recently been introduced (other than the Touareg/Q7), while the 2.0s have been around for decades and VW couldn't just drop them from the lineup without affecting sales a lot. So we shouldn't really have any need of worrying.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

For now there is a possibility of 18 billion dollars in fines - we'll see what the final fine is. A disaster for VW/Audi's reputation in America and worldwide.

I find it very interesting that GM KILLED 124 people and injured 275 others and gets fined 900 million. VW puts some additional NoX in the air and gets fined 18 times the amount GM was fined and didn't kill anyone.

Pretty clear that the EPA cares more about air pollution than peoples lives when they are directly being killed by the actions of automotive companies. Anyone that doesn't think GM gets a "pass" from this administration is fooling themselves. 40 Billion dollars in unpaid loans forgiven and now this...

(Meanwhile China dumps more crap in the air than anyone on the planet, by a large margin)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
I expected it was due to lack of DEF as well, but the Passat had already been using DEF and the latest-gen Golfs (so presumably Jettas as well) have started (I was surprised to see the fill cap when we were looking at a Mk7 TDI for my wife), yet 2015s are included in the "affected" statement so I'm a little confused as I would've expected just the DEF-less model years to potentially be affected as it would've been a "transition" period where VW wasn't quite meeting EPA emissions but wasn't set with the changes to make it back into compliance.

Regardless, it's only the transverse 2.0 TDIs that are affected. All the 3.0 TDIs (which weren't advertising anywhere near the level of fuel consumption the 2.0s were) shouldn't have the defeat unit as the selling point isn't "huge MPG" so the exact number they can get isn't quite as important, and they've just recently been introduced (other than the Touareg/Q7), while the 2.0s have been around for decades and VW couldn't just drop them from the lineup without affecting sales a lot. So we shouldn't really have any need of worrying.
Yup, the Mk7 Gold has it now. Here is a good article on the whole thing for those of you confused.

Your Guide To Dieselgate: Volkswagen's Diesel Cheating Catastrophe
Old 09-21-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Yup, the Mk7 Gold has it now. Here is a good article on the whole thing for those of you confused.

Your Guide To Dieselgate: Volkswagen's Diesel Cheating Catastrophe*
Doesn't help my confusion since the Mk7s are included as being affected yet they've got DEF now (unless it's simply a matter of the software not having the emissions check removed -- it'd be pretty bad if they still couldn't meet emissions even with DEF), as well as the Passat which I believe always had DEF due to the size. Unless VW went really crazy and used the DEF to push performance up while emissions stayed the same overall or something like that (in which case that's much worse than the sympathetic cause of "the EPA's really dropped the acceptable amount of NOx and we need to do a redesign to meet it").

That being said, it at least seems like Jalopnik's got a fairly even take on it, not falling on either end of fanatical, which is good to see. Hopefully it's handled with a minimum of headaches for owners and VW can start working on repairing its reputation. They shouldn't've broken the law, but I know the EPA's extremely hard on diesels so I can sympathize with manufacturers trying to meet the requirements that sometimes change dramatically. (If the Mk7s are truly in the same boat despite having DEF, though, that's just unacceptable.)

Quick Reply: NY Times: VW Is Said to Cheat on Diesel Emissions; U.S. Orders Big Recall