Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

OEM Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OEM Paint Protection Film

On prior cars, I did my own install of paint protection film (door edges, door handle cups, rear bumper, etc). Is there anything special about the OEM version Audi offers? Just trying to figure out why they say it has to be dealer installed. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

"Has to be dealer installed" or what they'll cry ?
I had mine done by the dealer on delivery and I'm 100% satisfied, but in your area I'm sure there are lots of independents who can do an excellent job and perhaps save you a few $$.Only thing I'd suggest is insist on a good brand like 3M etc.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would it have to be installed by a dealer? So they can over charge you?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Backing up, there is no such thing as OEM paint protection film for a Q5--or other Audis. The only exception are little bit parts they sell for protecting the top of the rear bumper below the hatch; maybe a few others I never noticed in parts catalog too. Having picked up the Q5 in Europe and driven it for weeks with luggage, I actually brought that one with me and did it on day 1 on the street. All it took was the typical hard squeegee and a bit of spray liquid.

Dealers do apply PPF, but it is third party. And on top of that, the service is commonly contracted out, so that is then no different than finding your own place and saving a bunch of money. You want a high quality film, and a guy who installs it day in and day out. If possible, you also want an installer who does only PPF day to day, rather than a mix of PPF and window film. Shop can do both, but the person doing the install is better skilled if he/she does it full time. PPF film is also now usually first cut by machine with standard templates as I understand it. Those templates come from only one of the major suppliers IIRC, even if they install a film from one of the other majors. Some of the tint bits and kits you can find on line get generated from those templates. XPEL, 3M & Suntek are found in a lot of quality installs. Tesla owners in particular spend really big bucks on this stuff. You can find $10,000 full body (clear) PPF and pricy window tint on more than a few, at least here in Telsa Valley.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Backing up, there is no such thing as OEM paint protection film for a Q5--or other Audis. The only exception are little bit parts they sell for protecting the top of the rear bumper below the hatch; maybe a few others I never noticed in parts catalog too. Having picked up the Q5 in Europe and driven it for weeks with luggage, I actually brought that one with me and did it on day 1 on the street. All it took was the typical hard squeegee and a bit of spray liquid.

Dealers do apply PPF, but it is third party. And on top of that, the service is commonly contracted out, so that is then no different than finding your own place and saving a bunch of money. You want a high quality film, and a guy who installs it day in and day out. If possible, you also want an installer who does only PPF day to day, rather than a mix of PPF and window film. Shop can do both, but the person doing the install is better skilled if he/she does it full time. PPF film is also now usually first cut by machine with standard templates as I understand it. Those templates come from only one of the major suppliers IIRC, even if they install a film from one of the other majors. Some of the tint bits and kits you can find on line get generated from those templates. XPEL, 3M & Suntek are found in a lot of quality installs. Tesla owners in particular spend really big bucks on this stuff. You can find $10,000 full body (clear) PPF and pricy window tint on more than a few, at least here in Telsa Valley.
Agree, good advice - so ask around regarding who are the better independent installers. In addition to XPEL, 3M and Suntek the higher end shops are now pushing a relative newcomer, STEK at a significantly higher price.

Would suggest you consider having edges of hood and doors wrapped -- as opposed to using templated pieces. Not only will this protect edges (particularly doors), but it looks infinitely better not to see the film's edges. On a light colored car, dirt will collect at the edge of the film.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

To be clear, I think even on the templated pieces they can program it to overcut on the sides for things like wrapping leading or trailing edges of things like hood, fenders, etc. There are also full wraps of given body areas and then partial wraps focusing on high wear areas.