Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Official Audi world Q5/SQ5 Photo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2golf
Yes, the handles have the chrome tops. My salesman was surprised by this change (also has a chrome strip at the bottom lip of the rear hatch). These are changes to the Canadian Sline that did not exist in 2014. It seems that I would have had to have ordered the Black Optics package in order to have the body coloured handles. Given that it was a dealer issue they are investigating ordering new body coloured handles and doing the replacement at no charge. Since this is my second Q5 from the same salesman and dealership, they are doing whatever is required to keep me satisfied with my purchase.
@luv2golf: Please update us on what happens with this! I did not learn about the chrome on the top of the door handles or on the lip of the liftgate until well after I placed my order. One thing I absolutely did NOT want on a car was chrome door handles and I excluded other vehicles I was considering solely on that basis -- they had chrome door handles. (No offense to anyone who digs chrome door handles.)

What's really frustrating , besides the fact that Audi would just seemingly randomly make a change like this in the last year of this gen model, is that nowhere does this show up . . . not on the AudiUSA.com build page photos, and even when you download the 2015 Audi brochure (from the build page on audiusa.com), the Q5s pictured do not have chrome (that I can see) on the door handles, even the TDI which is what I ordered. Feels like a bait-and-switch! UGH. So disappointing.

I'm trying to keep a semi-open mind, hoping maybe I won't hate it as much as I think I will, but if I do, I'd like to know if ordering door handles without the chrome tops (I believe that the 2015 Premium models do not have the chrome on the top of the door handles) and having the chrome-domes replaced is a viable option . . . though I have some concern about replacing the door handles and if that might screw with the advanced key system, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by metta; 10-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by metta
@luv2golf: Please update us on what happens with this! I did not learn about the chrome on the top of the door handles or on the lip of the liftgate until well after I placed my order. One thing I absolutely did NOT want on a car was chrome door handles and I excluded other vehicles I was considering solely on that basis -- they had chrome door handles. (No offense to anyone who digs chrome door handles.)

What's really frustrating , besides the fact that Audi would just seemingly randomly make a change like this in the last year of this gen model, is that nowhere does this show up . . . not on the AudiUSA.com build page photos, and even when you download the 2015 Audi brochure (from the build page on audiusa.com), the Q5s pictured do not have chrome (that I can see) on the door handles, even the TDI which is what I ordered. Feels like a bait-and-switch! UGH. So disappointing.

I'm trying to keep a semi-open mind, hoping maybe I won't hate it as much as I think I will, but if I do, I'd like to know if ordering door handles without the chrome tops (I believe that the 2015 Premium models do not have the chrome on the top of the door handles) and having the chrome-domes replaced is a viable option . . . though I have some concern about replacing the door handles and if that might screw with the advanced key system, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Mysti,

Yes, the handles have the chrome tops. My salesman was surprised by this change (also has a chrome strip at the bottom lip of the rear hatch). These are changes to the Canadian Sline that did not exist in 2014. It seems that I would have had to have ordered the Black Optics package in order to have the body coloured handles. Given that it was a dealer issue they are investigating ordering new body coloured handles and doing the replacement at no charge. Since this is my second Q5 from the same salesman and dealership, they are doing whatever is required to keep me satisfied with my purchase.
The Black Optics package does not remove the chrome top door handles per Audi USA. If it's different for the Canadian models, that's news. How did your salesperson confirm that the Black Optics package in Canada changes it back to body colored door handles?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snig
Huh? What? Have I been snigged?! Love me some When Harry Met Sally, but am missing the reference to my post? Shrug.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ND40oz
The Black Optics package does not remove the chrome top door handles per Audi USA. If it's different for the Canadian models, that's news. How did your salesperson confirm that the Black Optics package in Canada changes it back to body colored door handles?
Five or six Q5's (including mine) arrived at my dealer at the same time last Saturday. While my salesman was busy with another client, I looked at all of them and all but two had chrome handles and the chrome strip on the bottom hatch lip (applies to both Sline and non Sline models) the two that did not, had the $700 Black Optics option. When my salesman was finished with his other client we discussed these "unannounced" changes (chrome handle tops and chrome hatch lip strip) for 2015. In summary, confirmation was done on the lot comparing 6 new Q5s that were shipped together (i.e. similar production dates).

Chrome strip on 2015 Q5 Sline hatch lip (still has blue protective tape on)

Last edited by luv2golf; 10-02-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Five or six Q5's (including mine) arrived at my dealer at the same time last Saturday. While my salesman was busy with another client, I looked at all of them and all but two had chrome handles and the chrome strip on the bottom hatch lip (applies to both Sline and non Sline models) the two that did not, had the $700 Black Optics option. When my salesman was finished with his other client we discussed these "unannounced" changes (chrome handle tops and chrome hatch lip strip) for 2015. In summary, confirmation was done on the lot comparing 6 new Q5s that were shipped together (i.e. similar production dates).

Chrome strip on 2015 Q5 Sline hatch lip (still has blue protective tape on)
Were there any SQ5's without the chrome top door handles?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ND40oz
Were there any SQ5's without the chrome top door handles?
I did not specifically look for SQ5s and am not sure if there were any on the lot. I have a call into my salesman and will ask if there are any new SQ5s on the lot without the black optics and whether they have the chrome handle tops.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think there is any SQ5s with black optics in the US yet. I'm still waiting for mine 😃

Dealer says my vehicle should be here end of October.

Black optics SQ5 became available to order at the end of July.

Last edited by andrios; 10-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by andrios
I don't think there is any SQ5s with black optics in the US yet. I'm still waiting for mine 😃

Dealer says my vehicle should be here end of October.

Black optics SQ5 became available to order at the end of July.
just saw one that came in today when I picked up mine...made me think maybe I should have waited as it was orderd 3 weeks after mine...came in the same time
This was the first one they have seen
Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sciond
just saw one that came in today when I picked up mine...made me think maybe I should have waited as it was orderd 3 weeks after mine...came in the same time
This was the first one they have seen
Wow please post pics ASAP!!

Quick Reply: Official Audi world Q5/SQ5 Photo Thread