Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Oil overfill, Remove Oil Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil overfill, Remove Oil Warning!

I need the boards help yet again. I had a different shop, that I thought was going to be a great alternative, change the oil and service my granddaughters 2010 Q5 3.2 engine this past Monday. The place I used in the past used 6.6 qts of oil (KENDALL GT-1 EURO 5W40 SYNTHETIC OIL) at change, which I assume is the 7 liters needed. The monitor and dipstick read correctly at the time. The new guy used 7 qts. ( Same type oil), Now I have the Remove Oil notice when I check the oil monitor.

My question, is the approximate 1/2 Qt overfill cause for alarm and immediate action? I will take her car to the Audi dealer for a couple of recalls this coming Monday and can have the half qt removed if necessary. Or can I just leave it in as it burns about a half qt every 5k or 6K miles? Also, does anyone have an amount I should expect to be charged for the removal?

I read this from a post by James R.
"Furthermore, overfilling the engine that grossly can damage the vehicle...the crank can slap at that oil beating it into a froth causing lubrication to be compromised. It can get whipped into the crankcase ventilation system spreading oil all through the intake tract and possibly to such an extent as to damage the three way catalyst or the O2 sensors...

Is he talking about a car grossly overfilled with oil, or do these dangers apply even to a 1/2 qt overfill?

As always, I appreciate any input you may have.
Wil
Old 05-11-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
I need the boards help yet again. I had a different shop, that I thought was going to be a great alternative, change the oil and service my granddaughters 2010 Q5 3.2 engine this past Monday. The place I used in the past used 6.6 qts of oil (KENDALL GT-1 EURO 5W40 SYNTHETIC OIL) at change, which I assume is the 7 liters needed. The monitor and dipstick read correctly at the time. The new guy used 7 qts. ( Same type oil), Now I have the Remove Oil notice when I check the oil monitor.

My question, is the approximate 1/2 Qt overfill cause for alarm and immediate action? I will take her car to the Audi dealer for a couple of recalls this coming Monday and can have the half qt removed if necessary. Or can I just leave it in as it burns about a half qt every 5k or 6K miles? Also, does anyone have an amount I should expect to be charged for the removal?

I read this from a post by James R.
"Furthermore, overfilling the engine that grossly can damage the vehicle...the crank can slap at that oil beating it into a froth causing lubrication to be compromised. It can get whipped into the crankcase ventilation system spreading oil all through the intake tract and possibly to such an extent as to damage the three way catalyst or the O2 sensors...

Is he talking about a car grossly overfilled with oil, or do these dangers apply even to a 1/2 qt overfill?

As always, I appreciate any input you may have.
Wil
First, it takes a few starts/stops/driving distances (up to 30 miles) to average out the oil monitor readings and it may just not register the overfill in a day or two.

Second, if you do the math. One half a quart of oil is approximately 9 cubic inches in volume. Assuming that the oil pan is 10 x10 inches, 100 square inches, probably larger is real life.
Then the overfill oil height increases approximately 0.1 inches, negligible! I personally wouldn't worry about that increased oil level with my Q5 at all. There is no way that the crankshaft would hit the oil and cause foaming.
Oil sumps are designed to handle overfills.

The dealer will do it, most likely over removing the amount of oil, charge you for new oil to refill it to the correct level, charge you labor at $100/hr., shop towels, oil disposal fees, etc..

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 05-11-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

No relax. 1/2 qt.is not going to do any damage.I'm a tech in case you think I'm guessing.
The following users liked this post:
NewOwnerA4Cab2009 (02-23-2021)
Old 05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to you both, Bob and Murry. That tells me all I need to know and is a relief to we who do not know much more than jack about the mechanics of an engine. I don't have the car now but will Sunday and will check the dip stick as well as the monitor. The added dip stick and upper center console tray is the extent of the modifications I have done to her Q5, which tells you about the extent of my expertise.
Wil
Old 01-11-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Another reason to order a dipstick and manually check the oil, especially after the dealer touched the car for any reason!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by numerobis
Another reason to order a dipstick and manually check the oil, especially after the dealer touched the car for any reason!
He said The monitor and dipstick read correctly at the time.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
He said The monitor and dipstick read correctly at the time.
you left out that he dug up an 18 month old thread to make his comment 😂
The following users liked this post:
AudiFahren11 (03-04-2021)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Didn't even notice. HA!
Old 02-23-2021, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a 2013 A5 cabriolet, I over filled it by 1 quart. I have pictures of oil. on aluminum lines next to the oil sensor. As you can imagine, I am stressed, my engine does not start. I drove it for 1 mile. I am wondering if oil screwed up the engine??
Old 03-02-2021, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOwnerA4Cab2009
Hi, I have a 2013 A5 cabriolet, I over filled it by 1 quart. I have pictures of oil. on aluminum lines next to the oil sensor. As you can imagine, I am stressed, my engine does not start. I drove it for 1 mile. I am wondering if oil screwed up the engine??
When you say engine won't start, are you saying that it cranks over and won't start, or won't even crank at all?

Have you tried dropping the oil and refilling back to proper levels to begin with?

Quick Reply: Oil overfill, Remove Oil Warning!