Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Options for LED foglight replacement?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
I went with the Hoen Xenonmatch. I often drive with fogs on as I live in an area with narrow, curvy, hilly streets and it's nice to throw some light to the sides of the car to help carve a proper line. These work great; however, they're closer to headlight color than LED DRLs, but relatively close to those as well.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog.htm

And, as an aside, I bought some yellow tint film that when it's rainy or I plan to head to the mountains or a potentially foggy area, I just cut out two circles and stick them on, and then just remove when finished. Works like a charm.
I had the Hoen ones on my S5. They we ok. They were not a perfect match and really didn't throw any more light than than the factory ones. I figured I would try something different.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
. That sucks. I still have not installed them. I really don't see that the factory fogs throw that much light either. I basically want them to match. I am not one of those people that roll with their fogs on all the time. I do want to be seem in adverse weather conditions and look cool in the parking lot. Lol.
Here's what they looked like. The light on the right is the CarID LED. The left (passenger's side) is stock.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Rolling on H9s--"go" instead of "show"

I use the H9's in the standard Halogen color. Classic mod that can be used with stock H11 like on the Q5 if you do a search on the web.

Much better for fog than the blue match stuff, which shouldn't matter look wise anyway if they are actually only being used in foul weather. 10 more watts, 50% more lumens, somewhat shorter bulb life (which if run only as fogs shouldn't really matter...).

Requires a slight mod to the bulb side (stock is H11) to cut away a bit of a mating tab into which the vehicle side harness connector fits. Runs on my Q5 fine and have run on Audis plenty and never seen an issue arise, other than meaningfully better lighting. I do only run them in poor weather, so am not out to run off spectrum lights (for fogs) or blind or aggravate others. I also calibrate the throw cut offs using the adjustment screws.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife got me these for Christmas.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q5-Qua...ights/ES11133/

Cost effective replacement and I think they match really, really, really close (if not spot on).

My goal was to get rid of the yellowish dull fog light color and get something that matched my driving LEDS. This was perfect for me. Plug-n-play. took about 10 minutes to install.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info guys.

I've decided to try the CarID product. I have a light meter and I'll try to quantify the output of the stock bulbs against these ones.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
My wife got me these for Christmas.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q5-Qua...ights/ES11133/

Cost effective replacement and I think they match really, really, really close (if not spot on).

My goal was to get rid of the yellowish dull fog light color and get something that matched my driving LEDS. This was perfect for me. Plug-n-play. took about 10 minutes to install.
Nice lights! Plug and play is always good for me
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading through this I'm thinking I may go for the H11 Platinum Whites from ECS.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got mine installed and I am real happy with the way they look. They match real well!!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
After reading through this I'm thinking I may go for the H11 Platinum Whites from ECS.
I wasn't even looking to swap mine out but this price is tiny and has a big payoff. I think I may do the same.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

these look interesting. would the resistors fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-CREE-LED-Headlight-5000k-1800Lumen-1512-Chip-intergrated-55W-Free-Shipping-/200983881181?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecb92a5dd&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Options for LED foglight replacement?