AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Are our windshield washer nozzles heated? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/our-windshield-washer-nozzles-heated-2879362/)

Big D *suspended* 02-21-2015 02:46 PM

Are our windshield washer nozzles heated?

Gonna be taking a road trip where we might get into some snow and some light freezing rain. Last car I had did not have heated nozzles and the lines froze. Are ours heated?

A6Gary 02-21-2015 03:14 PM

Don't think so. Evn if the lines were heated, then the fluid would freeze when it hits the windshield. That is why you use washer fluid that rated for below freezing temps.

duffer5 02-21-2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended* (Post 24658566)
Gonna be taking a road trip where we might get into some snow and some light freezing rain. Last car I had did not have heated nozzles and the lines froze. Are ours heated?

Yes, standard on Prestige "S" line. Not sure about others.

"Standard equipment includes automatic headlights, fog lights, LED taillights, power heated side mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, rain-sensing wipers, heated windshield washer nozzles, aluminum roof rails, dark-tinted rear privacy glass, and 18-inch aluminum wheels."

acadianbob 02-21-2015 04:12 PM

I believe they are heated on our 3.0T Premium Plus.

ssteigss 02-21-2015 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended* (Post 24658566)

They are heated across the lineup. All of my vw's had this feature as well. Been 0 degrees here with no issues.

Big D *suspended* 02-21-2015 06:39 PM

Good to know guys, thanks. If I wanted to put the anti freezing fluid into my windshield wiper reservoir, would I have to dump all my old fluid? Or is there just an additive I can put in?

acadianbob 02-21-2015 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended* (Post 24658624)
Good to know guys, thanks. If I wanted to put the anti freezing fluid into my windshield wiper reservoir, would I have to dump all my old fluid? Or is there just an additive I can put in?

There is an additive but it can be hard to find. You will only find it in a "real" autoparts store.

Also, it has been my experience that washer fluid loses its ability to resist freezing if it has been in the reservoir too long.

Redd 02-22-2015 10:45 AM

The "additive" will be mainly concentrated alcohol. Methanol, ethanol, isopropanol, any will do. You want the highest proof (like 151 overproof rum(G) you can find and then you'd have to figure out the freezing point of the new mixture based on the new average proof.

Might be simpler to just dump the old fluid, or add as much of the new highest-proof stuff that you can.

HerrK 02-22-2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended* (Post 24658624)

It's no so much the reservoir you have to worry about freezing it's the small lines especially the one running to the rear washer. You can just add the lower freezing temp WW fluid to your reservoir, better if it is already low. Be sure to run both F&R washers numerous times to flush out the old stuff and top off the reservoir again. The nozzles are heated as this is a chock point in fluid flow, smaller diameter than the lines and more susceptable to freezing.

BlackSVT 02-23-2015 06:16 AM

With as much fluid as the Audi/VW nozzles spray, draining the tank ought to take no more than 30-45 seconds of constant use :rolleyes:

I've never had a car go thru so much fluid in one winter