Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Are our windshield washer nozzles heated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Are our windshield washer nozzles heated?

Gonna be taking a road trip where we might get into some snow and some light freezing rain. Last car I had did not have heated nozzles and the lines froze. Are ours heated?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Don't think so. Evn if the lines were heated, then the fluid would freeze when it hits the windshield. That is why you use washer fluid that rated for below freezing temps.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended*
Gonna be taking a road trip where we might get into some snow and some light freezing rain. Last car I had did not have heated nozzles and the lines froze. Are ours heated?
Yes, standard on Prestige "S" line. Not sure about others.

"Standard equipment includes automatic headlights, fog lights, LED taillights, power heated side mirrors with LED turn signal indicators, rain-sensing wipers, heated windshield washer nozzles, aluminum roof rails, dark-tinted rear privacy glass, and 18-inch aluminum wheels."
Old 02-21-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they are heated on our 3.0T Premium Plus.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are heated across the lineup. All of my vw's had this feature as well. Been 0 degrees here with no issues.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to know guys, thanks. If I wanted to put the anti freezing fluid into my windshield wiper reservoir, would I have to dump all my old fluid? Or is there just an additive I can put in?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know guys, thanks. If I wanted to put the anti freezing fluid into my windshield wiper reservoir, would I have to dump all my old fluid? Or is there just an additive I can put in?
There is an additive but it can be hard to find. You will only find it in a "real" autoparts store.

Also, it has been my experience that washer fluid loses its ability to resist freezing if it has been in the reservoir too long.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The "additive" will be mainly concentrated alcohol. Methanol, ethanol, isopropanol, any will do. You want the highest proof (like 151 overproof rum(G) you can find and then you'd have to figure out the freezing point of the new mixture based on the new average proof.

Might be simpler to just dump the old fluid, or add as much of the new highest-proof stuff that you can.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's no so much the reservoir you have to worry about freezing it's the small lines especially the one running to the rear washer. You can just add the lower freezing temp WW fluid to your reservoir, better if it is already low. Be sure to run both F&R washers numerous times to flush out the old stuff and top off the reservoir again. The nozzles are heated as this is a chock point in fluid flow, smaller diameter than the lines and more susceptable to freezing.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With as much fluid as the Audi/VW nozzles spray, draining the tank ought to take no more than 30-45 seconds of constant use

I've never had a car go thru so much fluid in one winter

Quick Reply: Are our windshield washer nozzles heated?