Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Dynamic Mode: D or S ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Mode: D or S ???

I have used Dynamic mode for the last couple weeks and I notice something but not sure if it is normal:
When I left the car in Dynamic Mode and shut off and later start again, mode is still show as "Dynamic" but the center console show "D";
If I start the car in either "Auto" or Comfort" mode, then change to "Dynamic" mode, the center console would show "S" which is same as if I tap the shift stick down to "Sport Mode".

Is this normal?

Thanks.
Phil
Old 10-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, can't help. My car seems to revert to Dynamic (which is where I want it) no matter where I have left it when I switch it off. Steve
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by philkkw
Is this normal?

Thanks.
Phil
Yep. If you change into Dynamic mode, it changes to sport-shift for you. If you start out in Dynamic mode, you're in regular drive. I think this makes a lot of sense since you want to warm it up before getting the revs up that high. I prefer it this way.

Last edited by SQive; 10-30-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Yep. If you change into Dynamic mode, it changes to sport-shift for you. If you start out in Dynamic mode, you're in regular drive. I think this makes a lot of since you want to warm it up before getting the revs up that high. I prefer it this way.
Thanks.
Phil
Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, this is normal. Done for fuel efficiency. You are actually not in full Dynamic mode if the transmission is in D. The transmission mode overrides the Engine/Transmission setting in Drive Select. So even though it looks like you are in Dynamic, your engine and transmission are actually in comfort/auto mode if the transmission is in D.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's not completely accurate...the steering will still follow the Drive Select, as will the suspension in those equipped with the adaptive suspension...right?

Last edited by SQive; 10-30-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's not completely accurate...the steering will still follow the Drive Select, as will the suspension in those equipped with the adaptive suspension...right?
Yes. The only difference would be the transmission, not being in Sport mode.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Let me clarify a bit. Even the console says "D" in Dynamic mode, I did feel the car is different than when I had it in Comfort mode, like suspension, steerling, etc...
Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by philkkw
Let me clarify a bit. Even the console says "D" in Dynamic mode, I did feel the car is different than when I had it in Comfort mode, like suspension, steerling, etc...
More clarification...
Audi Drive Select = Comfort, Dynamic, Auto (Economy, Individual, for MMI high)
The ZF8 tranny = Auto-Drive, Auto-Sport, Manual (which is still somewhat automatic)

The Drive Select adjusts throttle response, steering, and adaptive suspension (if equipped). When you change the setting to dynamic, it does you the courtesy of switching the tranny to sport-mode. It may switch it back to drive-mode when you change back to Comfort or Auto, but I don't recall. That's the only correlation between the two. You can have dynamic-drive, dynamic-sport, or dynamic-manual. Likewise, you can also have comfort-drive, comfort-sport, and comfort-manual. You can manually select any shift pattern you want for any Drive Selection.
I know this is just asking for it, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I thought that's what I said. One more time, the transmission mode *only* overrides the engine/transmission Drive Select setting. Everything else stays in Dynamic. If it says D in the DIS, then engine/transmission are in comfort/auto mode, but everything else is in whatever your current Drive Select mode is. If it says S in the DIS, then engine/transmission is in Dynamic mode and everything else is in whatever your current Drive Select mode is. Basically the transmission mode takes precedence over Drive Select for engine/transmission, but everything else follows your current Drive Select setting, Also Comfort and Auto are the same as far as engine/transmission is concerned. There should be a table in your user manual showing the characteristics of each mode.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Mode: D or S ???