Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Passenger airbag on/off switch on Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Passenger airbag on/off switch on Audi Q5

In this thread there are two guides
1. Airbag on off switch retrofit guide
2. Footwell lights retrofit guide

As I was testing the facelift 7" display trim from mmi 3g which comes with piano colour effect and a dual purpose switch, airbag light and hazzard lights button, I decided to retrofit the child airbag on off switch first. Note Audi parts does not give the latest facelift PN which I have tested as compatible though after testing I confirm that it is (another bonus you will not find on part diagrams).

One can observe the 6.5" screen metallic frame using the 7" trim. Screen trim will become a set with my facelift radio concert with piano effect when retrofitted.

I later on retrofitted a 7" multimedia android touch screen used in combination with radio concert.

Since I have installed this trim I have also decided to retrofit the airbag on off switch. Really I will not use it but I believe it will be an easy retrofit and might be an interesting project.

For the purpose of this airbag on off switch retrofit I have purchased the following part numbers:
1. 8R(K)0971679B/C airbag harness (though same PN with different suffix can also be taken into consideration, needs to come with the switch connector.

2. 1k0919237D airbag switch (see above)
3. 8R1(2 for RHD)941509(A/B/C) Hazzard light switch with airbag light. (I purchased the display trim instead which came with the switch)

Not sure if this retrofit kit easy to find. Is it the complete kit?? Read about it .

The most difficult/time consuming will be cutting the glovebox trim for fitting the airbag key switch. Actually it was not. Just patience is needed.

Pin diagram soon (delay because I need to get to my old laptop)

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-21-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is the pin diagram

Left connector, see photo below, should be what you have under glovebox (if you dont have footwell lights pin 2 should be missing). You have to combine the pins on your glovebox connector with the right connector of photo below (airbag on off switch wires)

This is for a footwell light retrofit.
The left connector is T12K from something I purchased. Pin 2 is red grey 0.35 and is used for the footwell light connects to Connector 4B0971832 pin 2. Ground is pin 1 from same connector which connects to (taps to) brown wire on same harness (somewhere in the middle see photo below). We have to also create a new pin to the male connector (of T12K male) red grey and connect wire (tap) to T32a pin 17 of Electrical Control Module J519 (same colour) T32a is grey with purple retainer. Then we will have our footwell light. Led PN 4E0947415A. There is also a retrofit kit for a pair or for 2 pairs.

Codings for enabling footwell ambient light.
09 – Cent. Elect.
Byte 16
Bit 6 - activate coding ‘Footwell lights front installed’

There is a nice pdf guide with more info, in case you want to have a read regarding footwell light retrofit. Not same but useful.

For footwell light

I have done a retrofit solution using used parts. Something to think about. Cost should be less than the retrofit kit. Will check part diagram just to confirm pins.
Would be nice to see light turn on and off when starting car under hazzard light button.

Footwell light Electrical Connection.
J519 is the 09 control module

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-22-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

AIRBAG deactivation switch E224 connect to T12k 12 pin brown connector and that to T17g black connecor at A pillar.
E224 pin 1 to T12k pin 3 purple white to T17g pin 13
E224 pin 2 to T12k pin 6 yellow grey to T17g pin 14
E224 pin 3 to T12k pin 5 brown to T17g pin 12

Wire size 0.35

So above connector photos are correct.

Note the above is a facelift gizmo/tech so will be fun. If something else is needed will post more info when retrofit is perform.
Seems my Q5 is slowly becoming a facelift one. grill/bonnet/fog light trim will be my last retrofit not on my roadmap yet. Actually face off and on is a project not seen on a Q5 apart from facelift HID headlights retrofit.

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-21-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

50% success

More wires needed from T12k to T17g. Dont exist.

The retrofit of other parts is done.

Retrofit kit of others that is sold is not full, additional wires with their pins are needed. Also there is no footwell light expansion included on this harness, which I might as well add to mine, since I will open the passenger and driver front footwell trims again simultaneously and same work is involved.

J234 is airbag control module, so T100 is airbag connector. T17g connector is part of A pillar 6 pin coupling station. We have to guide the 3 wires from T12K male connector to the T17g connector.

will totally freak out if the other wire harness to airbag connector is missing too. Then it means to access the Airbag Control Unit one has to remove the center console.

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-22-2020 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For Male connector 6Q0972726 the 3pins (actually 4, one additional for the footwell in case you want to do the footwell light retrofit same as me). you will need are 000979019EA (gold plated for airbags). (how do I know that ?)

For RHD the wires go to a connector near he bonnet handle A pillar, drivers side, so there are 3 long wires That connector I am not sure yet of its part number or of the pins it comes with. For LHD it is on same side A pillar.

Will add a passenger footwell light while doing this mod. I have cable ready for that well I will use one additional connector wire same as of the pins ordered for the airbag connector T12k. Will inform later how to. Too dark down there .

On order... 2-3 weeks waiting time.

Note no information of T12k location on manual. Ackward. After fiddling around or carefull eye examination, for RHD it is on the glovebox rear side.

I will try to do this work step by step and open the trims as many times I have to. I have no clue regarding the pins of T17g. Hope t'hey are the same as previous pins on order.

BEFORE CARRYING OUT ANY WORK DISCONNECT THE BATTERY

Added the footwell light retrofit in a post above. This completes the guide. When I finish the rest of the retrofit including the footwell light retrofit I will post more photos or info if needed.

Last edited by apoelistas; 07-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Last edited by apoelistas; 06-30-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have added the led oem light 4E09474415A and new harness. I have also the chinese made and may look the same but quality of plastic is not. Try removing the connector from it. It will break. Will post photos later.

I have changed my led harness because my wirings were very thin (8R0971679K) made in 2008. So if you have this harness remove it if you will add leds to it. Brown wire and red/yellow wire basicly are very thin on this harness so useless.

So i have added 8R0971679C (label rear view says made end of 2011) which was twice the thickness.
Also I took the wiring of airbag from harness 8k0971679B obviously made in 2014 because prefacelift did not support airbag. Still wiring from car electrical CU to female connector has 2 small brown and red/yellow wirings.???? Will not redesign the whole car I guess.

As I said there is also a harness for 2 or 4 leds so you have a second design choice.

The final wirings will be added at another day with the airbag wirings. Consider these 2 retrofits, led and airbag, 70% complete.

The plus there is a led spot available on the trim. This hole has now closed with the addition of the led housing.

Slow progress on this one I am afraid.

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-21-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The retrofit guides / electrical diagrams above were revised to include the footwell lights electrical diagram.
Added the radio concert ambient light display control codings, which I have also activated.

For mmi3g to enable Interior footwell light controls you need to activate this with the hidden menu.
This coding remains the same:
09 - Cent. Elect
Byte 16 Bit 6 - Set bit to 1 (active)

weekend will attempt to add the missing wires in order to activate both footwell lights and Airbag passenger on off switch which I have retrofitted in the past but not the additional wiring needed. 4 wires to be added is the last task and both footwell trims need to be removed.

complicated when you mix two retrofit guides I guess. Will avoid this in the future.

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-22-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Airbag Connector pins 12 13 14 on T17g missing. Will have to remove central console in order to complete the retrofit since srs control unit is there.
probably will do half of the work.
postponed

Old 04-25-2020, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Added the 3 airbag switch wires So I dont have to open the passenger side again and completed the footwell light wire Pin 2 of connector to 09 control unit.

Will test shortly footwell ambient light.
Drivers side

passenger side

Last edited by apoelistas; 04-25-2020 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag on/off switch on Audi Q5