Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Petty problem – aftermarket wiper replacement at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petty problem – aftermarket wiper replacement at dealer

Its Friday so here is my whine.

Dropped car off at dealer for the fuel pump recall and they called out a few other things for some extra cash, one was replacing the wipers. I agreed figuring they were 1.5 years old and performed well.

They don’t walk through the service items when you pickup. Instead you are sent to a cashier and they call for the car. Shame on me for not forcing the explanation.
Here is the real petty part – they replaced the wipers with aftermarket. I could have done that! I agreed based on using OEMs, always had it that way before with dealers. Contacted them and they say the trash has been picked up and offered the OEM part number.

Further dealer incentives:
I turned down the re-balancing of the tires. I mean come-on.
I turned down the fuel treatment additive. “

They decided on their own it was time for a brake flush under Audi Care. The vehicle has 19k on it by the way. I’ll have to look up when that was really due.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's shameful of them to use aftermarket parts...especially if they charged you Audi prices!

IF they charged you just what aftermarket parts cost...then I don't have as much of a problem.

But still...

Jason
New York
Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonJ
I think it's shameful of them to use aftermarket parts...especially if they charged you Audi prices!

IF they charged you just what aftermarket parts cost...then I don't have as much of a problem.

But still...

Jason
New York
Hi Jason,
Ya, its the "but still" part that gets me.
They charged ~$20 x 2 for the front.
The wipers are ok, just sit-up a bit more then the OEM version.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dret
Hi Jason,
Ya, its the "but still" part that gets me.
They charged ~$20 x 2 for the front.
The wipers are ok, just sit-up a bit more then the OEM version.
What aftermarket brand did they use?

Can you post a photo of them.

The only ones that I know that fit the arms are Bosch and Valeo, which are the usual suppliers of the OEM wipers.

You can get the 2 OEM blades at Amazon for $25 for the pair. With free shipping if you add some low cost $1 filler item.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

The Audi maintenance schedule calls for brake fluid change every 2 years. It is included in AudiCare. You should go over with the service advisor when making the appointment or arriving what is to be done. Maybe they did it early. Don't know from your post whether you drive low or high mileage. You should review the maintenance and AudiCare schedules.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty insane that they would place aftermarket wipers on your car. Even when i worked at "lesser" brands(I was at a jeep/dodge/ram dealer for 2 years) we would never ever put aftermarket on. Even on used cars of our own brand.

Honestly, if the dealer isnt to far out of your way id swing back in and have them swapped.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i went to the dealer for an oil change last week, and they took it upon themselves to charge me for an AdBlue refill.. Granted it was only $25, but i literally just did that myself at home.. mentioned it to them, but I was in a rush after 1.5 hours waiting for the oil change, so I told him it wasn't worth my time. Go back to the car, and suspension is all out of whack. Must not have realized I had adaptive air suspension when putting it on the lift. Took another 20 minutes to reset that issue... could have gotten better service at Jiffy Lube! 2013 Q7 TDI
Old 08-04-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing that you will get an email from Audi asking 'how did we do'.

Let them know! See what happens.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Audi doesn't make wipers, nor brakes nor sensors and on and on.Valeo and Bosch make the Audi wipers, they're certainly classified as " aftermarket and.....
Changing the brake fluid,particularly in your environment, (I don't associate Dallas with high humidity) but then again I'm Canadian that's just them taking advantage of Audi, no cost to you.
Wise choice refusing the "fuel system treatment ".Sorcery at best damaging at worst if you buy the "good stuff "
Old 08-04-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
I am guessing that you will get an email from Audi asking 'how did we do'.

Let them know! See what happens.
Those things are a joke as I learned with ford. Bought a new van in the 80's, sent me a yearly fill this out on how we do. Every year I gave high makes until a problem with service. That next one I got I complained. Never got another one to fill out so they always have a high rating. Joke!

Quick Reply: Petty problem – aftermarket wiper replacement at dealer