Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Petty side assist and sat radio problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Petty side assist and sat radio problems.

2010 q5 3.2, I realize this is a 1st world problem of not much significance, however when your used to the perks they get necessary. My granddaughter's sat radio band and also the blind side assist have gone out. Audi dealer says problem is bad modules on both at $1400 each.

My first thought is had we not had these features before, they would not be missed, especially at about 3 dimes total to get them. My second thought is how hard can replacing a module be? Is this a pull and plug type procedure with parts from e-bay at a fraction of the cost? Or does this involve a software synchronization or calibration after the install for both sat radio and side assist.?

My other problem is lack of trust with Audi dealer. This same thing happened with the sat radio band not showing on the MMI about this time last year and was fixed with a software update. Audi claims that is not the case this time, however without another update, I may never know. Can one get the software updates anywhere other than Audi?

Sorry about so many questions but I wanted to throw them out here in hopes some of the news will be good.
Thanks, Wil
Old 05-15-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Wilson38
Definately this one is worthwhile turning into a project.You can source these modules for far less than that.Information regarding how to find the modules is available on line - what isn't ?
If I was you I'd start this journey by getting a scanning ability - Ross-Tech VCDS is the way to go.Once you have this tool you can confirm that your dealer is being honest or not.Then you can make decisions.All in all the point of this exercise is to impress your grandaughter ain't it !
Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Murry, you are pretty much correct on the granddaughter. She just graduated college and I need to keep her ride in good shape for awhile anyway. Within some financial limits. I think now is time to go that full mile with the Ross-Tech VCDS. I'll need to get my son in law and his mechanic nephew on board and turn the nephew/cousin into her personal mechanic for now and the future. The nephew/cousin is a John Deere diesel mechanic but I'm sure with the Ross Tech he can adapt to Audi.
Wil