Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pinch Weld Protector, aka jacking pad, hockey puck

Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Pinch Weld Protector, aka jacking pad, hockey puck

After hopefully solving my air problems, I figured it was time to get familiar with the oddball jacking on my car. I mean, I have the jack and figured when and if I needed to get my hands dirty, there's the manual, have at it.
But I also do have conventional jacks, and having had a big fat Cutlass fall off a GM bumper jack once...I prefer a scissor jack, not just Audi's "half" of one. So I see that everyone talks about hockey pucks, and how they straddle the pinch weld so a conventional jack can be used. Tonight I go stick my head under the car and...damn, that's not just a pinch weld! I figure it to really be an inch deep and something like 3/8" wide, if you measure the whole thing and really want to put the load on the "chassis" not on the weld.
So what are the wise men using? Even the ECSTuning $40 set has comments that it doesn't fit all models, and judging from the dimensions they give, the "pucks" never reach the underside of the car, they ALL just straddle the pinch weld and leave that to spread the load.
This is OK for such a beefy weld? Any old "universal" slotted hockey puck will do? Any less expensive (I really just want ONE) ones from Amazon that anyone can vouch for?
I see the R8 and others use a jacking point that takes a cylindrical locator bar...Obviously some models got more engineering attention than ours did. :-(
Old 02-12-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
After hopefully solving my air problems, I figured it was time to get familiar with the oddball jacking on my car. I mean, I have the jack and figured when and if I needed to get my hands dirty, there's the manual, have at it.
But I also do have conventional jacks, and having had a big fat Cutlass fall off a GM bumper jack once...I prefer a scissor jack, not just Audi's "half" of one. So I see that everyone talks about hockey pucks, and how they straddle the pinch weld so a conventional jack can be used. Tonight I go stick my head under the car and...damn, that's not just a pinch weld! I figure it to really be an inch deep and something like 3/8" wide, if you measure the whole thing and really want to put the load on the "chassis" not on the weld.
So what are the wise men using? Even the ECSTuning $40 set has comments that it doesn't fit all models, and judging from the dimensions they give, the "pucks" never reach the underside of the car, they ALL just straddle the pinch weld and leave that to spread the load.
This is OK for such a beefy weld? Any old "universal" slotted hockey puck will do? Any less expensive (I really just want ONE) ones from Amazon that anyone can vouch for?
I see the R8 and others use a jacking point that takes a cylindrical locator bar...Obviously some models got more engineering attention than ours did. :-(

I use this one on my Q5, fits just fine............

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Floor-Jack-...item43fc7f80bb

I use it with this jack, you can remove the extension to make it a lower profile performing jack. It lifts to 21 inches which a high lift jack is needed with the Q5.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...erm=floor+jack

I have seen hockey pucks split and that usually wakes you up and bends things.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-12-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=Bob Petruska;25109875]I use this one on my Q5, fits just fine............

The ebay adapter looks like the right solution...but wouldn't fit my scissor jacks. Might fit the bottle jack, I'd have to go dig and measure.
I agree with you about hockey pucks splitting, I'll try the fit of one and if it doesn't reach up to the body, to spread the load nicely, back it will go.

Advance Auto is terribly concerned with getting "my" store right, ergh, wrong, and then it shows me a whole floor jack. Which I'd love, if I owned a garage with room to store one in. I need the freeze-dried model so I can keep it in the glove box.(G)

This may sound too kludgy, and certainly violates Audi Standards...but if the point is to move the stress to either side of the inch weld, up to the body floor above it....Ergh, couldn't I do that by epoxying a 4" length of 1" aluminum or steel box tubing on each side of the pinch rail? Buy two feet of it, chop it up, paint it, voila there will be a 2" x 4" flat jacking point in each of the right places?? Oh, right, that will also make the Audi jack useless. (Aw....) Or take two short pieces of 1" box tubing, glue them to a 1/4" plate, and again...voila, a replacement for a hockey puck?

(I'd say "arc weld" but I don't have a handy place to keep one of those, either.)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=Redd;25109904]
Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I use this one on my Q5, fits just fine............

The ebay adapter looks like the right solution...but wouldn't fit my scissor jacks. Might fit the bottle jack, I'd have to go dig and measure.
I agree with you about hockey pucks splitting, I'll try the fit of one and if it doesn't reach up to the body, to spread the load nicely, back it will go.

Advance Auto is terribly concerned with getting "my" store right, ergh, wrong, and then it shows me a whole floor jack. Which I'd love, if I owned a garage with room to store one in. I need the freeze-dried model so I can keep it in the glove box.(G)

This may sound too kludgy, and certainly violates Audi Standards...but if the point is to move the stress to either side of the inch weld, up to the body floor above it....Ergh, couldn't I do that by epoxying a 4" length of 1" aluminum or steel box tubing on each side of the pinch rail? Buy two feet of it, chop it up, paint it, voila there will be a 2" x 4" flat jacking point in each of the right places?? Oh, right, that will also make the Audi jack useless. (Aw....) Or take two short pieces of 1" box tubing, glue them to a 1/4" plate, and again...voila, a replacement for a hockey puck?

(I'd say "arc weld" but I don't have a handy place to keep one of those, either.)
My link to Advance Auto was for the complete jack. As I stated in my post, the pinch weld adapter fits this AA jack fine and also raises the Q5 to the appropriate height of about 20 inches to remove a tire without putting the jack on something to raise it up.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

20 inches?? You don't mean that I need 20" of lift before the suspension runs out and the wheels come off the ground, do you? (Or at least, the one of them I'm working on at the time.)

I don't think my usual scissor jacks would DO 20"....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
20 inches?? You don't mean that I need 20" of lift before the suspension runs out and the wheels come off the ground, do you? (Or at least, the one of them I'm working on at the time.)

I don't think my usual scissor jacks would DO 20"....
Yes, my floor jack is near its maximum lift (21") when one tire lifts off the ground. I'm only lifting one corner. If you are using a scissor jack with a small base then a good piece of think wood would probably work just fine to increase lift height.
It's hard to maneuver a floor jack on a fairly small piece of wood, safety gets compromised. This is why I bought a high lift floor jack, plus Advance Auto usually has a 30- 40% off coupon on the net with store pickup.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-13-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the puck will easily split, BEWARE
to make it last longer, put a screw type hose clamp around the diameter
also cut a dado on the top of the puck to match the weld and a circular groove underneath so that it does not slide off the jack
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting ideas. I might use filament tape instead of a hose clamp. Or, for that matter, turn to steel box tubing or the machine shop. Or an air lift bag. No one seems to like them in the US.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry filament tape will NOT work
When you lift the car, pressure on the puck pushes outward
on my first puck it split within seconds of the lift.
luckily i was not under the car, as the car did go down as the puck split
wi the [pipe cmap , it keeps the puck intact.

test it for yourself BEFORE you get under the car
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While this is not currently available on Amazon, look for one or something similar. Has done very well in over 2 years of usage. Does require a normal floor jack, though.

Amazon Amazon

Much better than a hockey puck (I've tried). I hate that Audi creates a jack point but doesn't complete the process by making a point that works with anything used outside of their engineering shops. A reinforced flat surface would make some many techs happy....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pinch Weld Protector, aka jacking pad, hockey puck