Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 horn swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q5 horn swap?

We have discovered the 2012 Q5 horn is a bot wimpy compared to my 2006 A4 which is probably one of the loudest horns I have heard. The part numbers are almost identical, 8E0951223D/8T0951223, but the plug is the same on both. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? The aftermarket horns all require some modification, hacking off the cars plugs is not something I wanted to get into.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A louder horn almost always means a horn that is using more power. So just dropping in a louder horn COULD blow the horn fuse, burn up the horn wiring, or burn out the horn relay, if there is one. Not a good idea unless you can confirm the new horn doesn't take excess power.

The good news is that you can remove ANY horn and replace it with a horn relay, if the car doesn't have one. Or upsize your horn relay if the car does have one. And then you can add in any horn and relay that you please, properly wired and sized to carry the new load.

When my last car was stolen, they stripped the horn, which was mounted under the bumper/front end. I never liked that horn and when I found out the replacement price, I went with twin FIAMM's mounted front and center behind the grill. (And a relay, yes.) Incredibly louder, very easy job.

Just was wondering the other day, "Is my Q5 SO QUIET?! Or is this damned horn too civil?" History may need to repeat itself.(G)
Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggysmb
We have discovered the 2012 Q5 horn is a bot wimpy compared to my 2006 A4 which is probably one of the loudest horns I have heard. The part numbers are almost identical, 8E0951223D/8T0951223, but the plug is the same on both. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable? The aftermarket horns all require some modification, hacking off the cars plugs is not something I wanted to get into.
Current horn is on a 15 Amp circuit and runs through a relay located under the hood. The older A4 OEM horn probably runs on a 20-25A circuit. Unless you're laying on the horn for minutes at a time a direct swap will do no damage. Maybe bump up the fuse to that which matches the A4 circuit.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Current horn is on a 15 Amp circuit and runs through a relay located under the hood. The older A4 OEM horn probably runs on a 20-25A circuit. Unless you're laying on the horn for minutes at a time a direct swap will do no damage. Maybe bump up the fuse to that which matches the A4 circuit.
Thanks Dudealicious
Old 09-27-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Maybe bump up the fuse"
No, that's a way to start fires. Either the existing fuse is adequate (they don't blow immediately) or it is there to prevent the wiring from overheating, and that's much worse. There is also the matter of voltage drop in the wiring, and if the original wiring was sized to present an acceptable voltage for a 15A horn, then it will present an unacceptable voltage loss when a 25A horn is used. New wiring, or an adequate size, along with a proper fuse and relay, is the way to go. For safety and performance, since inadequate voltage will just make the new horn quieter than it could be.
Running a wire from the battery to a fuse, relay, and horn, ain't rocket science. Clean easy job.

The slightly different part numbers would indicate different parts, i.e. a revision. That they both fit in the same plug, is probably an intentional thing done so that the matching harness doesn't have to be changed by folks buying the horns. Or, a convention that the horn maker simply uses that one connection on all or many of their products. Not unusual that way. It does NOT mean the parts are all interchangeable without limits or issues.

Last edited by Redd; 09-27-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
"Maybe bump up the fuse"
No, that's a way to start fires. Either the existing fuse is adequate (they don't blow immediately) or it is there to prevent the wiring from overheating, and that's much worse. There is also the matter of voltage drop in the wiring, and if the original wiring was sized to present an acceptable voltage for a 15A horn, then it will present an unacceptable voltage loss when a 25A horn is used. New wiring, or an adequate size, along with a proper fuse and relay, is the way to go. For safety and performance, since inadequate voltage will just make the new horn quieter than it could be.
Running a wire from the battery to a fuse, relay, and horn, ain't rocket science. Clean easy job.

The slightly different part numbers would indicate different parts, i.e. a revision. That they both fit in the same plug, is probably an intentional thing done so that the matching harness doesn't have to be changed by folks buying the horns. Or, a convention that the horn maker simply uses that one connection on all or many of their products. Not unusual that way. It does NOT mean the parts are all interchangeable without limits or issues.
thanks Redd. Not sure how I missed your original post but I think we are going to stay with the stock horn. Wife says I’m the only one that uses it anyway...