Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

All,

These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
The following users liked this post:
Roman NJ (11-23-2019)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post IMO, Going to sticky it for a while to give all concerned a chamce to see it.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post! I hope I do not have to do this for my new car.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2011 Q5 2.0T with the GIAC Stage 1 software. Should I ask my dealer about this or will it affect my tune?
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
I have a 2011 Q5 2.0T with the GIAC Stage 1 software. Should I ask my dealer about this or will it affect my tune?
I do not know if it will affect your tune. If your car is highly modified they might flag TD1. This would be at your own risk. If you are not highly modified you would be taking your chances.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Scheduled an oil consumption test for this Thursday.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Techm8n
Scheduled an oil consumption test for this Thursday.
Please let us know how it goes.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a scheduled oil change (my pay) and requested the oil consumption test for next week. Should they be charging me for the oil change and filter? Is there a specific bulletin number?

Originally Posted by AMCBimmer
All,

These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NickP1969
I have a scheduled oil change (my pay) and requested the oil consumption test for next week. Should they be charging me for the oil change and filter? Is there a specific bulletin number?
When performing a consumption test I believe most dealers drain the old fluid and use new fluid when weighing. I'd check with your dealer. It's not per say an oil change. Most likely a drain weigh and fill.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi drained and weighed my oil and changed my pcv valve. Now they want me to drive 630 miles no more than 1000 miles and go back so they can weigh the oil again. More updates to come.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps