Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tosten
I had my water pump and timing chain replaced while the piston work was done. Audi covered my piston work, I had to pay for the other stuff.
What was the cost of those items? The car goes in wed for the oil issues and wondering if I should have it done or sell after they fix it.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A4 2.0 - Sline Oil Consumption

Hello,

Thanks for the information regarding this alarming situation with the A4's.

I am a first time Audi owner as i purchased a 2009 Audi Sline Quattro, 6 speed Manual. When i purchased the car it had 123,000 on it and roughly 2,500 it was completely out of it. It was topped up with fully synthetic oil (best grade on the market) and 950 Km's later i was down to a quarter.

I took it back to the dealer & there mechanic and as such was told to do another 1,000 kms and if it burnt more than a quarter in 1,000 km's the piston rings needed replacing. Having done this i am left with a quarter oil again and it's going down rapidly. I am worried this car is already on its last legs although it did seem to be kept in great condition. To fix this problem does it just involve replacing and putting in new piston rings as it seems the oil testing has already been complete ? Or is a new engine rebuild needed ? I don't want to be stuffed around as i am concerned this issue is a major one.

Any help or guidance would be great and can you please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Roberto.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AMCBimmer
All,

These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Hello,

I am a first time Audi owner as i purchased a 2009 Audi Sline Quattro, 6 speed Manual. When i purchased the car it had 123,000 on it and roughly 2,500 it was completely out of it. It was topped up with fully synthetic oil (best grade on the market) and 950 Km's later i was down to a quarter.

I took it back to the dealer & there mechanic and as such was told to do another 1,000 kms and if it burnt more than a quarter in 1,000 km's the piston rings needed replacing. Having done this i am left with a quarter oil again and it's going down rapidly. I am worried this car is already on its last legs although it did seem to be kept in great condition. To fix this problem does it just involve replacing and putting in new piston rings as it seems the oil testing has already been complete ? Or is a new engine rebuild needed ? I don't want to be stuffed around as i am concerned this issue is a major one.

Thanks,
Roberto.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by roberto89
Hello,

Thanks,
Roberto.
From memory
Stage 1.
revised PCV valve
Revised crank seal
Software update

check oil consumption

Stage 2
Camera (endoscope) inspection of cylinder walls. If walls ok change conrods and pistons with latest revision.

Stage 3 If cylinder walls not ok
Change engine block, comes complete.

Note there is no piston ring change in any stage. Need to check part diagram if revised rings are sold separately. If rings were broken probably pistons would also become damaged??? I will report if there is a ring part made by audi just out of curiosity.

I had stage 1 and stage 2 performed. No oil consumption from block since then (apart from sump pan oil drain plug (cracked thread wall) and turbo oil return hose both leaking which I fixed recently). So inspect these 2 parts too if ok.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Reporting back:
ETKA Audi Diagram has 4 pistons with rings as a package. Rings are also sold separately as a package for the 4 pistons. Price is about 1:4 difference. So if the rings kit is priced 50 the pistons with rings kit is priced 200. Conrods are expensive.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Good luck with your dealer. (if you are under any warranty demand your money back).

Last edited by apoelistas; 10-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi
I have issues with the oil consumption. Audu Q5 2009 petrol Wagon.My local service centre recently serviced and changed oil seperator and Spark plugs, which didint made any deference. When I rang them they said they need few weeks to check what the issue is.
However I saw your advice and rang audi centre to do the oil consuption test, what you think is that the right thing to do. just double checking. Thank you
Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AMCBimmer
All,

These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Hi I have issues with the oil consumption. Audu Q5 2009 petrol Wagon.My local service centre recently serviced and changed oil seperator and Spark plugs, which didint made any deference. When I rang them they said they need few weeks to check what the issue is.
However I saw your advice and rang audi centre to do the oil consuption test, what you think is that the right thing to do. just double checking. Thank you
Old 10-23-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought my 2011 A4 in 2013. It was a CPO car with 31000 miles on it. It really didn't burn much oil at the time. It now has 65000 miles on it and is burning about 1 quart every 400 to 500 miles. Since it is under the 80000 mile and 8 year mark it should be covered. I took it to the dealer for it's scheduled service and mentioned the oil issue. He said they would do the oil consumption test. He called that day and said I had a leak in the main seal (no oil on my garage floor) and that it was probably not the cause of the oil consumption. He said Audi would not do the oil consumption test unless that issue was fixed. The price for that job was estimated to be $2000. I guess I'm stuck.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tae111
I bought my 2011 A4 in 2013. It was a CPO car with 31000 miles on it. It really didn't burn much oil at the time. It now has 65000 miles on it and is burning about 1 quart every 400 to 500 miles. Since it is under the 80000 mile and 8 year mark it should be covered. I took it to the dealer for it's scheduled service and mentioned the oil issue. He said they would do the oil consumption test. He called that day and said I had a leak in the main seal (no oil on my garage floor) and that it was probably not the cause of the oil consumption. He said Audi would not do the oil consumption test unless that issue was fixed. The price for that job was estimated to be $2000. I guess I'm stuck.
The best defense is a good offense. (audi dealer new tactics??).
Old 10-23-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, my wife took the Q5 to our closest dealer to start the consumption test. I'm right around 80,000 miles, so we'll see what AoA says. However, the dealer treated my wife so poorly that she called me when she returned home and told me to sell that car because she never wants to deal with that place again. So I might not even have it long enough to complete the test. She probably isn't driving it much more than 100 miles a week while I'm gone, so it might not need oil added before I go home for Thanksgiving in 4 weeks. Although my last refill was after only 390 miles.

The service adviser did acknowledge that he didn't do his job, and they did the oil change for free. Probably worried about any followup survey!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Should I be worried?

- Does the vehicle still need to be under warranty?

- I’ve owned my vehicle for about a month. Since getting it, I’ve done a stage 1 tune. I got an oil change 5 days ago and my oil light came on these evening. We’re talking less than 200 miles.

I am definitely driving aggressively but is this beyond abnormal oil consumption?

2010 A4

Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps