Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

No sorry that doesn't make any sense.If you're leaking transmission fluid that has nothing to do with the engine.They're separate entities.Hi compression in the engine ( we all wish) has zero relationship with a tranny leak - sorry eh !
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
No sorry that doesn't make any sense.If you're leaking transmission fluid that has nothing to do with the engine.They're separate entities.Hi compression in the engine ( we all wish) has zero relationship with a tranny leak - sorry eh !
They are talking about the rear crankshaft seal, not a transmission seal. You have to pull the trans to replace the seal.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by jiggysmb
I could be wrong but I thought this was a common issue on higher mileage audis. I would guess the increased pressure the new rings are making blew out your rear main seal. Happened to me. They charged $600 to drop the tranny and replace a $20 seal.
It's usually the other way around. When you have cylinder combustion pressure leaking pass the worn defective oil and compression rings, the crankcase pressure increases and blows the rear seal.

The only way new rings would do this is if the cylinder walls were so worn that the new rings didn't seat quickly and allowed even more combustion pressure to blow by. It would only require a very short time to blow a seal.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I picked up on this statement about a dealer diagnosis:

"The bad news is that when it came back after a week the transmission is leaking. The service advisor says he has never seen such a complication"

and apparently I mistakenly applied this to suggestion that the rear main seal was blowing out.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBS
thanks, Jiggysmb. That's a reasonable explanation. Any research available on this? my service advisor says he's never heard of such a consequence, and he's "seen thousands of piston replacements."

JBS
Sorry for the confusion, I assumed you meant there was a leak near the transmission. There is no logical way that engine work could cause your transmission to leak.

With that said, while our A4 was in for one of the stages of the oil consumption problem we had the transmission fluid changed and they cracked the fitting that the filter attached to and we leaked transmission fluid pretty badly until they somewhat took responsibility and repair at no charge.

With the long list of Audi problems, I am starting to see a common response from Service Reps, "We have never seen that before". When we brought our Q5 in for burning oil, they said the same thing and I was like really because you just replaced the rings on our A4 a little over a year ago. Then my wife's A3 TDI had glitter in the fuel filter housing and I mentioned the well documented fuel pump problem and again "We have never seen that before". It must be a scripted blanket response.

Back on topic here, our 2012 Q5 has the CAEB engine and burns maybe a quart every 10,000 miles. We had some bad readings using the electronic oil meter, and then some inconsistencies whether the car head in or back in the garage but at 50,000 miles we are well below the quart every 600 miles to get them to do anything about it.

From talking to a company in NJ that has done hundreds of these, and a few other sources, I have come to the conclusion that it is very rare for a 2012 2.0T to have the excessive oil burn. The CAEB engine modifications (piston rings & timing chain tensioner) began to be implemented in mid 2011 and had been "fixed" as of mid 2012. Luckily our Q5 (engine date May 2012) had a revised chain tensioner so I am hoping that means we have the proper rings. Time will tell.

Last edited by jiggysmb; 09-18-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:04 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

2012MY 2.0T with an Oct/2011 build date burning lotso oil - unlucky me apparently.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rez
2012MY 2.0T with an Oct/2011 build date burning lotso oil - unlucky me apparently.
At just under 80,000 miles, mine is down to 400 miles per quart of oil. And Audi has declined to offer any assistance.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by atc98092
At just under 80,000 miles, mine is down to 400 miles per quart of oil. And Audi has declined to offer any assistance.
Very sad indeed! For very **** poor Audi engineering!!!!! Odd that there isn't a second class action law suit started for all the 2012, 2.0T's that are failing.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Very sad indeed! For very **** poor Audi engineering!!!!! Odd that there isn't a second class action law suit started for all the 2012, 2.0T's that are failing.
And most 2013 (upto 46 week of 2013)

Last edited by apoelistas; 09-26-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Yeah, they gave me the song and dance about having a dealer run a consumption test, but if they won't commit to offering a repair if confirmed doesn't make it worth the difficulty of getting to a dealer every time the oil alert appears. The closest dealer isn't that convenient. Not going to drive a half hour or more every time it dings. There's a total of four dealers in the Seattle area, and the other three are far more inconvenient than the closest. Plus, I am now in Washington DC on a year long job detail, and there's no way I would ask my wife to go to a dealer when the alert appears. She has my permission to trade it in if it continues to degrade.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps