Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 2009 2.0T

So I Purchased my first audi last month. It's a 2009 Q5 with 70000 kms on it. It was purchased privatly and the seller tild me there was nothing wrong with the oil consumption. Unfortunately I had started to notice the high oil consumption just after a week of purchase. The oil light comes on every 330 km. I booked an oil consumption test at audi centre sydney as the previous owner serviced the car there. The dealer told me that I would have to pay $608 for the PCV valve/breather and that this was the first stage of the test.

A few days into the first stage my car started shuddering and jerking upon acceleration, took it to audi and they said it needed new spark plugs as the high oil consumption had completely ruined them. Got the all ok from audi but when I drove off the problem was still there took it back immediately and was told that all 4 coils had to be replaced, did that. This fixed the problem.

The car has now failed the oil consumption test and Audi centre has advised to replace the pistons. They have also submitted a goodwill approval to audi australia and have told me I might have to pay 10% of the cost which is 15000.
My question is that is it worth paying that much to repair the engine?Would replacing the pistons even fix the problem? I have already spent 1400 for the sparks, coils and the first stage test. Is there any chance that audi australia will completely cover the cost? Is there any chance of me getting a new engine since the consumption is way out of spec. 1l every 330km!!!!It has full audi service history. And should I wait for the dealer to get a response from audi australia or should I ring audi australia directly.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1317
So I Purchased my first audi last month. It's a 2009 Q5 with 70000 kms on it. It was purchased privatly and the seller tild me there was nothing wrong with the oil consumption. Unfortunately I had started to notice the high oil consumption just after a week of purchase. The oil light comes on every 330 km. I booked an oil consumption test at audi centre sydney as the previous owner serviced the car there. The dealer told me that I would have to pay $608 for the PCV valve/breather and that this was the first stage of the test.

A few days into the first stage my car started shuddering and jerking upon acceleration, took it to audi and they said it needed new spark plugs as the high oil consumption had completely ruined them. Got the all ok from audi but when I drove off the problem was still there took it back immediately and was told that all 4 coils had to be replaced, did that. This fixed the problem.

The car has now failed the oil consumption test and Audi centre has advised to replace the pistons. They have also submitted a goodwill approval to audi australia and have told me I might have to pay 10% of the cost which is 15000.
My question is that is it worth paying that much to repair the engine?Would replacing the pistons even fix the problem? I have already spent 1400 for the sparks, coils and the first stage test. Is there any chance that audi australia will completely cover the cost? Is there any chance of me getting a new engine since the consumption is way out of spec. 1l every 330km!!!!It has full audi service history. And should I wait for the dealer to get a response from audi australia or should I ring audi australia directly.
​​​​​​Stage 1 and 2 are free, stage 3 if stage1 and 2 fail is also free, with your kilometrage / mileage I believe.

15000 for pistons.and.conrods?? Something wrong with the estimate. Even for a new engine block the cost is much lower. Ask for a written quote.

Stage 1 includes PCV (has different colour) seal, and firmware update are free - Not sure if you have to pay for the test.

Stage 2 includes pistons and conrods free

Stage 3 new engine block. free if 1 and 2 fail.

​​​​
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by apoelistas
​​​​​​Stage 1 and 2 are free, stage 3 if stage1 and 2 fail is also free, with your kilometrage / mileage I believe.

15000 for pistons.and.conrods?? Something wrong with the estimate. Even for a new engine block the cost is much lower. Ask for a written quote.

Stage 1 includes PCV (has different colour) seal, and firmware update are free - Not sure if you have to pay for the test.

​​​​
Thanks for the reply. I'm in Sydney Australia and I think over here we need to pay for stage 1, I had to pay $608 ? I am hoping that stage 2 will be fully covered by audi australia. I am out of warranty, so not sure.
And it's 15000 AUD. Is this still expensive or were u referring to another currency?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=apoelistas;25217248]​​​​​​Stage 1 and 2 are free, stage 3 if stage1 and 2 fail is also free, with your kilometrage / mileage I believe.

Stage 3 new engine block. free if 1 and 2

this might sound stupid but will they conduct stage 2 before stage 3 by any chance?
Old 09-29-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by apoelistas

​​​​
t
Old 12-04-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old post, but I found it because I'm having the issue with my 2016 Q5. I took it in and they topped it off for me 1,500 miles ago telling me it was normal and today my "add a quart" light came on again. This is the third time since my last oil change. Seems to be about every 1,500 miles for me.

Originally Posted by AMCBimmer
All,

These steps are important for you to get this issues resolved. I see a lot of oil consumption post so I feel I should explain the necessary steps to get this issue resolved. Audi knows that this issue affects all 2.0t engines up to 2011. The models include A4, A5, and Q5. This does not include the A3. At some point in 2011, Audi fixed the problem so I do not know the cut off point on production to when they fixed the issue. Audi realized they had a manufacturing problem with piston/rings.

Necessary Steps:
1. You must call your Audi Dealership to setup an appointment for an oil consumption test. Do not accept no from the service advisor or appointment center.

2. At the time of drop off do not let them tell you they will top it off and you are good to go. You must get the oil consumption test if the advisor is still giving you excuses please go see the service manager. If he/she does not want to perform it you may want to leave and call Audi Customer Experience Center.

3. If the dealership agrees to perform the Oil Consumption TSB then you will get a new breather valve, crankshaft seal and there will be a software update done. This software update reduces the internal engine pressure so as not to blow out the seal or the breather valve. At this time, the 1st part of the test is being started. The dealership will drain your oil and you must have a factory filter on the vehicle so the results are not blamed on your independent doing the oil change. During this 1st part your oil will be measured by weight then put back in your vehicle.

4. When you recieve the vehicle back you must drive the vehicle like normal. If the oil light comes back on DO NOT ADD oil or you will have to start the test over again.

5. When/If the light comes back on please return to the dealership ASAP. I would recommend you drive it there with the light on and ask for the 2nd part of the oil consumption test to be completed. You will need to drop the vehicle off. Again DO NOT ADD OIL.

6. Your dealer then will contact technical assistance and report the measurements. At this time, Audi technical assistance will decide on if you will be getting pistons or not. If the oil consumption is more than 1/4 a quart in 600 miles or 1 quart in less than 2500 miles this would be abnormal.

The dealer does not make the decision on whether you get pistons. Those of you that get upset with you dealer need to realize they did not make the call. If you have further concerns you should contact Audi Customer Experience to speak to an agent.

Those of you that have 2012 and newer should not have a problem. Although I have read some people on here with 2012 still have the issue. 2013 models definitely will not have the issues as these Q5s all have an updated engine code. Those of you that change your oil like Audi suggests should switch to every 5k miles. I would not recommend Audi's interval. Any other questions please let me know. I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That’s probably within normal range. My consumption was 1qt per 500 miles when I did the change. Many mfg state up to 1 qt every 1000 miles. Which is crazy.

Might check timing chain chain cover or look for
other oil leaks. Maybe a bad PCV valve.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

To put this in perspective my 14 Tdi uses zero oil between changes @ 15K kms/ 10k mls.Uses zero ltrs.My previous A4 3.0L V6 never used more than a 1/4 ltr. between changes at 240k kms/ 265k mls.This is unacceptable,Fight !
Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that it's not good. But I was only saying the full blown "oil consumption issue" was pretty much resolved after 2012 and consumption due to ring issues was dramatically higher.

But it's probably either a major external leak or it's a PCV valve. But it's probably not hte rings.

Keep in mind that all engines consume some oil, but in most cases, the maybe 1-5% they consume gets replaced by fuel or water. On some direct injection turbo engines (honda) the oil levels often increase between changes if it's not used on mostly longer trips and see a lot of cold idling.

Also very clean oil for example might just mean that detergents are ineffective at cleaning internal surfaces and keeping it suspended to be removed by the filter or too fine to cause any issues. Very clean oil may just mean there's sludge in the oil pan or heads where oil pools.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiAudiBangBang

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Data point here: I have a 2011 Audi Q5 2.0t @ less than 90k miles. I first did the test back at approximately 75k miles and it passed. I recently had to go through three top-offs over a span of 3-4k miles, which convinced me to redo the test. Sure enough, my car failed it. The dealership recommended replacement of pistons and rings. Because I was outside the 80k mile warranty, they advised that I call AoA, which I did. Unfortunately for me, AoA rep pretty much said "too bad I'm outside the warranty window."

So now I'm stuck with what to do. Dealership quoted me with $4800 for the repair. I'm looking at other independent shops for quotes. I am also considering selling the car, which would be to Audi's detriment if you think about it because they lose me and my family as long-time customers.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps