Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Prepping the Q5 for a baby

Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, while I don't have a seat cover to suggest, I thought I'd offer my experience with outfitting the Q5. We had twins in early 2012 and had a 2012 Q5 3.2. To protect the back seats we got the Summer Infant Duo Mat seat covers. We also got the Graco Snug Ride infant seats. But if I had it to do over i would have gotten the Cybex Anton Seats. They are German designed and to me a better fit for our European ride. I tried both in the Q and the Cybex allowed me to leave the driver seat about 2" further back than the Graco. In the end we went with the Graco as the stroller we had (Bugaboo Donkey) only had attachments for the Graco, not the Cybex (the Cybex was brand new to the US).

Once the kids were old (and big) enough for the convertibles, we looked at the Recaro. I really liked the Recaro due to the excellent reviews, but they are pretty large. We tried them as well as the Peg Prego Primo Viaggio. The Peg Preggo won the day as they were more compact and in the black leather looked much better in the black interior of the Q. Aaaahhh, I was finally able to return my seat to a more comfortable driving position (I'm 6'-2")

As far as the cargo area, the all weather cargo mat from Audi protects the floor really well, but if you will have a lot of "stuff" back there, something to protect the inside of the hatch would be good as it is hard plastic and can get dinged up. If you find yourself needing a double stroller, I highly recommend the Bugaboo Donkey, but it does not fit well in the back of the Q5. We ended up getting a Baby Jogger City Mini to keep in the car. It fits well and there is still room for other stuff, but not a lot. The City Mini takes up about 2/3 of the floor space, but there is still room to put stuff on top, even with the cargo cover in.

Of course these selections are all based on my preferences, but I thought it may help as a starting point for anyone trying to figure out what products work best in the Q5.

The kids are two now and we just got a 2014 3.0T. I haven't changed the setup, except for having a lot more interior wipes in the car. One more essential piece of equipment: Dirt Devil cordless vac for daily clean up of Goldfish and pretzels.

I'd be happy to take and post a few pics if anyone is interested.

Last edited by eppoh7; 04-12-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eppoh7
One more essential piece of equipment: Dirt Devil cordless vac for daily clean up of Goldfish and pretzels.
Lol, got that ready !
Old 04-14-2014, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics will be amazing! Thank you!

Originally Posted by eppoh7
Hi guys, while I don't have a seat cover to suggest, I thought I'd offer my experience with outfitting the Q5. We had twins in early 2012 and had a 2012 Q5 3.2. To protect the back seats we got the Summer Infant Duo Mat seat covers. We also got the Graco Snug Ride infant seats. But if I had it to do over i would have gotten the Cybex Anton Seats. They are German designed and to me a better fit for our European ride. I tried both in the Q and the Cybex allowed me to leave the driver seat about 2" further back than the Graco. In the end we went with the Graco as the stroller we had (Bugaboo Donkey) only had attachments for the Graco, not the Cybex (the Cybex was brand new to the US).

Once the kids were old (and big) enough for the convertibles, we looked at the Recaro. I really liked the Recaro due to the excellent reviews, but they are pretty large. We tried them as well as the Peg Prego Primo Viaggio. The Peg Preggo won the day as they were more compact and in the black leather looked much better in the black interior of the Q. Aaaahhh, I was finally able to return my seat to a more comfortable driving position (I'm 6'-2")

As far as the cargo area, the all weather cargo mat from Audi protects the floor really well, but if you will have a lot of "stuff" back there, something to protect the inside of the hatch would be good as it is hard plastic and can get dinged up. If you find yourself needing a double stroller, I highly recommend the Bugaboo Donkey, but it does not fit well in the back of the Q5. We ended up getting a Baby Jogger City Mini to keep in the car. It fits well and there is still room for other stuff, but not a lot. The City Mini takes up about 2/3 of the floor space, but there is still room to put stuff on top, even with the cargo cover in.

Of course these selections are all based on my preferences, but I thought it may help as a starting point for anyone trying to figure out what products work best in the Q5.

The kids are two now and we just got a 2014 3.0T. I haven't changed the setup, except for having a lot more interior wipes in the car. One more essential piece of equipment: Dirt Devil cordless vac for daily clean up of Goldfish and pretzels.

I'd be happy to take and post a few pics if anyone is interested.