Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Product improvement from Audi: IC guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Product improvement from Audi: IC guard

I changed the oil on the Q5 (3.0) yesterday and noticed that the intercooler is now behind a guard which protects the fins. The S4 types (pre-'13) have been protecting the IC with a screen. Audi has looked after this for us.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I am very curious about all the Audi engine tech.
I've never owned an Audi, but we're close to pulling the trigger on the Q5 3.0T. With that said, where exactly is the inter-cooler?

My prior experience with forced induction was with a '05 STi, and there was no missing that inter-cooler.

At least on the Audi 2.0T, I was under the impression that the only cooling the intake charge received, was just the cold fuel from the direct injection. But I'm I not understanding Audi engine tech? Is there also an inter-cooler even for the 2.0?

If the new 3.0 has BOTH an inter-cooler and direct injection, that must allow for some pretty decent tuning characteristics.

Is the a place on this forum for just Q5 engine tech?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a front mount ic in front of radiator hidden behind bumper.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the 3.0t motor intercooled? if so it's a water to air intercooler.
the 2.0t is a conventional radiator mounted unit.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. So the 2.0T has both the inter-cooler, and the direct injecting. Does that mean that people can really push the boost, aftermarket, with these things?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any engine can be pushed

just that typically turbo or supercharged engines have a little more room to 'push'....

tuning on a naturally aspirated GAS engine usually gives 5 to 10% hp max...
on a turbo GAS engine you can get 3 to 4 times that...

and on turbo diesel engines an order of magnitude more is possible...

all without any hardware changes, just software...

of course, that assumes that the EPA won't come calling and shut down all the tuning companies like they are starting to...

https://www.google.com/search?q=h%26s+tuning+epa

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-17-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I changed the oil on the Q5 (3.0) yesterday and noticed that the intercooler is now behind a guard which protects the fins. The S4 types (pre-'13) have been protecting the IC with a screen. Audi has looked after this for us.
I saw your mention of the IC radiator guard in another thread and found your original post. I was wondering if it's one of those "not for U.S. markets" things? I don't seem to have one. I'd like to get one if anybody has a part number. Bug screen would probably work but I'd rather have a real one.
Tks
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default As they say, you gotta pay to play

besides the emissions issues, I hope no one really thinks there is quasi "free" power here beyond direct cost of some power upgrade. As you pump up a motor significantly, all the ancillaries need to be up to it, and seldom are. Instead there is often a long trail of broken, blown and earlier wear results. Sure, I like doing it too, but it takes some thought and care, not just a quick flash and dash.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ60
I saw your mention of the IC radiator guard in another thread and found your original post. I was wondering if it's one of those "not for U.S. markets" things? I don't seem to have one. I'd like to get one if anybody has a part number. Bug screen would probably work but I'd rather have a real one.
Tks
Please disregard the last question and comments. Apparently I was looking in the wrong place. I was getting some bugs off the front after a road trip and noticed the small IC radiator (with the guard) below the main radiator and A/C condenser. From the descriptions I found and a schematic from a service training manual, I though it was directly in front of the others and much bigger. When an old guy can learn something new, it's a good day
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the intercooler is at the bottom. It may be small, but it is quite fat (around 3" if I remember correctly). The radiator and condensor are both under 1" thick for comparison.

Is that an aftermarket condenser? The stock one that came off my car was black (aftermarket one that I got is silver with power steering cooler mounts on it - couldn't justify spending $380 for an OEM when the aftermarket cost me $50 including shipping)

Quick Reply: Product improvement from Audi: IC guard