Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0 premium or premium plus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I did as you stated.

Premium with heated seats and Xenons. I don't like sunroofs so special ordered the vehicle.

I also don't need power liftgate, or advanced key.

My special ordered 2014 only cost me $29K including taxes and fees plus my, in a way, worthless 12 year old 2002 A4 and the Audi loyality $1500.

"Looks" just like any other $50K+ Q5 going down the road.

Bob P.
I did the same as well and added the metallic paint (ISM). After several aftermarket modifications in my previous vehicle which was a fully loaded Lexus IS300, including a sunroof, I decided to minimize the "add ons" with the Q5. After test driving a fully loaded P+ with the panoramic sunroof, both my wife and I decided we'd rather go without it along with many other options and bought the standard premium with the aforementioned options. Also, our vehicle "feels" lighter, quicker and more nimble which is maybe due to less weight without the panoramic sunroof that was on the test car(?)-I guess I won't really know unless I track the car and look at the actual numbers. The Audi stereo was more than enough for us; I had an Alpine system custom installed in my Lexus and thought it was overkill (but that bass...).

We also drove cross country for two weeks with well over 350 lbs of cargo from CA to VA and I did not think that the 2.0 was underpowered. If anything, I was pleasantly surprised at the offline and rolling acceleration despite the added weight.

The two things I do miss from my Lexus are the memory seats which can be convenient during the times my wife takes the car and has to make adjustments to the driver's seat in order to accommodate her 5'6" dimensions as opposed to my 6' frame. The other is that I thought the leather was of a higher quality in the Lexus and the seats were noticeable more comfortable despite the after market, stiffer suspension settings in the Lexus.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Correct....

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I think the $29k reflected the trade in plus the loyalty rebate.
they gave me $5K for my A4 and the $1500 Audi loyalty.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

So wait, the premium does not come with memory seat adjustment?
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sid369
So wait, the premium does not come with memory seat adjustment?
I don't think so.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Sid, welcome aboard!

I kind of learned this same lesson when purchasing my A4. Set your expectations as follows:

• Premium in Audi-speak = a base car (missing features that should be on the car given the price point)
  • Premium+ in Audi-speak = a car equipped with the things people would expect given the price point
  • Prestige in Audi-speak = a car fitted with equipment that should have been on the Premium+ car considering its price tag
I was "stunned" to learn my '11 A4 would not have memory seats regardless of the fact it had MSRP > $41k
Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Sid, welcome aboard!

I kind of learned this same lesson when purchasing my A4. Set your expectations as follows:

• Premium in Audi-speak = a base car (missing features that should be on the car given the price point)
  • Premium+ in Audi-speak = a car equipped with the things people would expect given the price point
  • Prestige in Audi-speak = a car fitted with equipment that should have been on the Premium+ car considering its price tag
I was "stunned" to learn my '11 A4 would not have memory seats regardless of the fact it had MSRP > $41k
Its crazy how companies in the shadow of their brand and Luxury can get away with it. The very fact that its luxury it should include all those creature comforts, which you can get in the mass market cars which are significantly lower in price.
I am surprised by us "customers" who also get sold on the idea that we need to keep paying more and more for all the goodies to be had.

I guess they charge for the car engineering ability and R&D cost associated with it. because if they sell at the true cost by including all the features then at $48-$50K many would not buy them, but when you start your price at $37,000 it becomes more affordable.

Anyways, could someone with premium with 2.0 be kind enough to post a pic of the interior.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sucks, but it is what it is. Audi's competing with MB, and this is our first Audi after two generations of Mercedes, so I guess they are doing it right.

We were all but signing for a ED ML350 when a friend recommended taking a closer look at the Q5.

On the ML, leather seats are an option, as well as Xenon, both of which should be standard on a "luxury" car!

Its crazy how companies in the shadow of their brand and Luxury can get away with it. The very fact that its luxury it should include all those creature comforts, which you can get in the mass market cars which are significantly lower in price.
I am surprised by us "customers" who also get sold on the idea that we need to keep paying more and more for all the goodies to be had.

I guess they charge for the car engineering ability and R&D cost associated with it. because if they sell at the true cost by including all the features then at $48-$50K many would not buy them, but when you start your price at $37,000 it becomes more affordable.

Anyways, could someone with premium with 2.0 be kind enough to post a pic of the interior.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I could easily live without the power lift gate, but it's now my #1 favourite feature of the Q5.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you think Audi is bad at this.... Go look at BMW. I've been recently looking at BMW for 3 series diesel or wagon and to get anything comparable as Audi, I'll be paying $5-10k more. The base trim with BMW 328i xdrive can be compared to a toyota corolla. Which is around $40k!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
If you think Audi is bad at this.... Go look at BMW. I've been recently looking at BMW for 3 series diesel or wagon and to get anything comparable as Audi, I'll be paying $5-10k more. The base trim with BMW 328i xdrive can be compared to a toyota corolla. Which is around $40k!
I have a BMW and I know they are the same as well. I may be wrong but I think of all the luxury brands Lexus probably provides more luxury for the money.

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0 premium or premium plus?