Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0 TFSI Engine Oil

Old 03-29-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 2.0 TFSI Engine Oil

Hello there, and appreciate the value and contributions brought by of all members to this forum!

The engine oil topic is very popular; I've have searched the forum and read for good 5 hours, and did not get a clear answer.
My wife's Q5 2015 model 2.0 TFSI had the last warranty paid service at a reputable Audi dealer in GTA. They performed the 70K KM maintenance inspection and
and replaced the oil and filter. Upon driving off the dealer parking, I've noticed 2 things that concerned me:

While checking the oil level via dip stick (I bought it specifically for this purpose) the level was higher over the max level. Also more concerning, the oil looks quite black and smells burned ... like it has been already been used for thousands km. The car has only 22K
and seldom used. I know that new oil should look much cleaner.

Dealing with the oil level, the technician said the dipstick which I've ordered to that dealer could be wrong length... they brought their own oil gauge used in the shop that has a variable length setting via a stopper nut and measured the level showing it to me that it is OK.
But easily moving up and down the nut marker that sets the length of the stick, any out level can be made to look in parameters.

I am very skeptical with this dealer since my first oil change on this car they put too much oil (car had 2000Km) and burring it like crazy .... people in the parking lot telling me that I got black smoke coming out the exhaust pipes ...It was a long story at the time... they drain too much oil than went back to top it.
Only after escalating at the General manager and 3 visits the issue was fixed.

Now, knowing what they can do and all BS they can come up with, I am asking how much is too much in terms of oil level (level now is .015" or 4mm over the MAX level on the stick ) and if it's normal for a brand new oil to look dark black after the technician test drove the car 3 km.
I used to change my oil on my old Infiniti QX and the oil stayed honey color and transparent even after 300 KM drive.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, the oil should not darken that quickly. I agree.

Why don't you check the oil level in the MMI, as intended?

How do you know the dipstick length you purchased is correct/accurate?

Their dipstick tool is accurate.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Why don't you check the oil level in the MMI, as intended?.
It reports full level in the MMI. However I need to drive it for sometime to settle.

How do you know the dipstick length you purchased is correct/accurate?.
Because it is the Part number ordered by the dealer and purchased for this engine for this vehicle model. And it was purchased by many other of this vehicle owners.

On another note: The reading in MMI is digital; on previous oil level the MMI also shown FULL Level OK.
However the level on the dipstick was in range. So the good ol' oil gauge does not lie...

Their dipstick tool is accurate.
Only if depth setting is set correctly. The service advisor said: "for this car should be at ...blah blah value" but thy can tell me anything...
Old 03-29-2019, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gajego
Now, knowing what they can do and all BS they can come up with, I am asking how much is too much in terms of oil level (level now is .015" or 4mm over the MAX level on the stick ) and if it's normal for a brand new oil to look dark black after the technician test drove the car 3 km.

Thanks!
If it's just 4mm over the MAX mark, you are ok. The tolerance is much bigger than that.

Once a Honda dealer put 6.5qts of oil into my car, and the spec is 4.5qts! It's inches above the MAX mark. I change my oil ever since. Just can't trust those people.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Get yourself one of these AU 40178, peace
of mind.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Get yourself one of these AU 40178, peace
of mind.
Thanks.

What is the OEM Engine Oil for the Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gajego
Thanks.

What is the OEM Engine Oil for the Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI?
My dealer use Castrol Edge 5W40, but depending on your local wether (colder/hotter) the grade might be different.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. My dealer wrote 5W30 EDGE SPT but I did not know it is Castrol/