Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only $25 at Wal-Mart

Name:  60edde15-806f-4546-8719-aa77ebf03fab.jpg
Views: 4338
Size:  58.7 KB
Old 12-09-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Nice write up, thanks!

My only comment is about your oil selection assuming you used the M1 5W30 pictured. It doesn't meet the written spec for the engine in your vehicle.

I think if we're going to self-maintain, we need to make every effort to use approved products as they establish a baseline minimum level of performance. You don't want anyone to be in a position to deny you future warranty coverage due to the use of inappropriate products
Jeff, thanks for the post, it will help me when I change the oil next month. My Q5 has 58K miles on it and the dealer changed the oil while it was under warranty. I had my mechanic change last time and he used Mobil 1. The Q5 2.0T has consistently burned about 1 qt per 2.5K miles but since the Mobil 1 was added, I am burning 1 qt every 1K miles. I just ordered some Ravenol HPS 5W-30, along with and Audi oil filter, which has the Audi approvals. Hopefully after I change the oil and filter the consumption with be more reasonable. I enjoy the ride, but the oil consumption and the Break Pad wear are the two negatives I see with the vehicle.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nolan,
I agree with your two negatives however at least you didn't have two add two dealer visits on a flatbed for coils; otherwise a fine vehicle.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Take a look at http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ they're probably the leading independent oil analysis lab. For about $25 you can find out many things, among them whether you need to change you oil more or less often.

A long time ago, some of the oil companies would well test kits for $20 for ten in a box, these days, fleet suppliers may still be a bargain if you have any contact for them.

But it really makes sense to see what is happening in your oil, which tells you many things about your engine, instead of changing it by the clock. Of course, any truly professional car dealer's shop would offer to have that done for you as well. Most of them buy bulk oil from one of those oil companies, already, so they should be able to get "fleet" rates and make a profit on it.

If the OP is still with us...I'd clean rubber parts with ArmorAll or something similar, not WD40. WD40 is mainly kerosene and like all petrochemicals, it attacks rubber. Makes it shiny, but softens and eats it in the long run.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Questionable oil change

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Yes, I see two messages. One is about next oil change, the other about service being due. I use VAGCOM to reset. I can't recall if there is a provision in the MMI to reset on some of these cars.
Don't mean to jump your post don't see how to post new subject.
I have a 2014 Q5 2L which is a lot of fun. At 5,000m Audi did the first oil change free. I believe the first one is the most important one. At 10,000m I go and get all the oil and Man oil filter, jack up the car, take down the cover under the engine and get ready to change the oil. The drain plugs looks like it has never been touched, no tool marks of any kind, no oil residue at all on the pan. I take a look at the filter, it has a green mark on the front like maybe from the factory. Again no tool marks looks like it has never been touched. To me this means the dealer never did the first oil change and the next scheduled service is at 15,000m. I have been changing oil in my cars for over 45yrs and no matter how hard you try you all ways leave some kind of tell tale signs you were there. I hope I am wrong but looks like screwed again by a dealer.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hogman, an oil sample sent out to Blackstone Labs (you'll find them on the web) will tell you if your oil is the original or has been changed. It will cost you about $25 but a baseline oil analysis can be a good thing anyhow.

IF your dealer did not change your oil, he's not just screwing you he's also defrauding Audi, who I assume pay the dealer for the warranty oil change, as most manufacturers do. In which case Audi-US should be most interested to hear about that, and the results of the oil analysis.

Dealers have been known to cheat on lengthy services that they feel improperly compensated for, but that can also result in a franchise being terminated. It has been known to happen.

As to showing no sign of being touched...years ago I had a friend who was into Porsches. The mechanics in the shop he went to wore white jumpsuits, and they stayed white and unstained all day--even when changing oil. It is difficult but not entirely impossible. For instance, using tools that are slightly softer than the metal they are touching, will result in zero tool marks.

Unlikely, but not totally impossible. I used to pull the wheel covers from my wheels by hand, to ensure no tool pry marks. Never met a shop that was that careful, although I have seen some very good and clean ones.

So...maybe the oil analysis, before you hit the Big Button and call Audi into things. (Ready, AIM, Fire.)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hogmanDon
Don't mean to jump your post don't see how to post new subject.
I have a 2014 Q5 2L which is a lot of fun. At 5,000m Audi did the first oil change free. I believe the first one is the most important one. At 10,000m I go and get all the oil and Man oil filter, jack up the car, take down the cover under the engine and get ready to change the oil. The drain plugs looks like it has never been touched, no tool marks of any kind, no oil residue at all on the pan. I take a look at the filter, it has a green mark on the front like maybe from the factory. Again no tool marks looks like it has never been touched. To me this means the dealer never did the first oil change and the next scheduled service is at 15,000m. I have been changing oil in my cars for over 45yrs and no matter how hard you try you all ways leave some kind of tell tale signs you were there. I hope I am wrong but looks like screwed again by a dealer.
Your dealer most likely did do your oil change. They, like most dealers now use a commercial extractor to remove your oil thru the dipstick plug. It's quicker, cleaner and simple. Your oil will turn black pretty quickly from the honey colored original but it's still doing it's job of cleaning and lubing.

Wife's Q was never lifted, except for the 5k to rotate the tires. Q had Audicare at 15,25,35 and 45 all done thru extraction. I now do extractions with a MITYVAC 7400 and its the easiest, cleanest oil change I've ever done on any car.

Also used a dipstick to check the oil immediately before driving off their lot. And now use the dipstick when filling the Q and checking the S5.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Used to use a mityvac as well. But even with an mv7201 that can both extract and dispense, always found it messy transferring the used oil into disposal containers.

Recently started using a fluid transfer pump instead...connecting up the mityvac hoses to the fluid transfer pump and then pumping directly into the disposal containers (usually wiper fluid or arizona iced tea gallon containers)

Then just spray out the transfer pump with brake cleaner and set it aside for next time. The one from harbor freight has lasted me about five oil changes so far.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We use the transfer pump on boat engines, where "drains" are not allowed because any potential oil leak would become a pollution control problem.

And they're a great solution when your only access is via the dipstick tube. But no one really likes them, everyone is convinced that no matter how carefully you use them, they will leave more residual old oil in the pan, than removing a conventional drain plug would.

Does an ounce of old oil leftover make any difference...Considering it also used to be normal to change the filter every 2nd oil change, not every time...

Probably "good enough" and much less expense (less time, no need to lift the car) for the shops. And of course no need to replace the gasket under the drain plug.(G)
Old 03-28-2014, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default old filter

Originally Posted by q5dave
PICKED UP MOBIL 1 , 0W40 oil and a Audi oil filter from the dealer, total $53.11 for 5 quarts and the filter
8010 miles I decided to change the oil. didn't even have to jack it up. Probably would have been a little easier to get to the rear screws for the plastic under cover but i managed it. Supposedly the 5k service was done according to the dealer(bought car with 7500 miles on it). I'm a little skeptical the oil was changed out at 5k. The mmi gage was down half way between min/max, couldn't find a wrench mark on the drain plug, the oil looked pretty dirty for only having 2500 miles on it. I cant be certain of course. changed it out. really easy the way the Oil filter is mounted , upside down. good design, oil drains right out. I pt just shy of the 5 quarts in as the manual says 4.9 qts. Fired it up, got it up to temperature, shut it down, pushed key back in, registered full on the MMi screen.
Hardest part is getting all the screws in and out of the undercover laying on my back on the garage floor. Where can I buy Audi filters in bulk?
I had the same no marks on the drain plug which is a torx I was thinking it would be a 19 mm. I was thinking when I saw the drain plug they sucked the oil out from the top. I don't think the filter was changed but back in the old days we changed them every other oil change. The filters today are considerably better at cleaning the oil so I will not worry over that but from now on it will be changed every time. I am new here and like it a lot. Thank you for the help

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change