Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hogmanDon
I had the same no marks on the drain plug which is a torx I was thinking it would be a 19 mm. I was thinking when I saw the drain plug they sucked the oil out from the top. I don't think the filter was changed but back in the old days we changed them every other oil change. The filters today are considerably better at cleaning the oil so I will not worry over that but from now on it will be changed every time. I am new here and like it a lot. Thank you for the help
Look at the paperwork you should have received when you picked up the vehicle - if they didn't list an oil filter as one of the parts used/changed, it didn't get changed.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Probably "good enough" and much less expense (less time, no need to lift the car) for the shops. And of course no need to replace the gasket under the drain plug.(G)
And no angry customers complaining the wrench scratched up their shiny drain plug.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just did my first oil change (the 15,000 oil change) on my wife's Q5. I used my Mityvac to siphon out the oil from the top. The only problem I had was removal the oil filter. I was unable to do it by hand, and was also unable to do with crescent wrenches. I went to Autozone I purchased a oil filter removal socket for $5.99. Even with the socket I needed a breaker bar to break it loose! Apparently the socket I purchased was a little snug and now I can't remove it from the old filter. Does anyone know the proper size of the proper oil filter removal tool and where to purchase it at a local store? I want to purchase another one for future use (although hopefully I won't need it since I only hand tightened the new filter).
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Ganny, try putting the old filter & cap wrench (socket?? wrench??) in a plastic bag into the freezer overnight. Get 'em good and cold and they should be easier to pop apart.

If I had to take out a dozen screws to drop a road pan to access a drain plug...I might use an oil sucker too. I suppose Dzus fittings would be banned by German law, huh?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

An OTC 6903 oil filter wrench fits the Q5 oil filter perfectly. It's intended for Mazda/Ford applications (I bought it for my daughter's Mazda 3).
Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just did the change at 46,000 kilometres as I'm doubling up on the Audicare schedule. Jeff's photos of the underbody panel removal were an excellent help and the rest of the change was really straightforward as everything on the 2.0 engine is really accessible. Only difference was the oil drain plug on my '12 is a T45 Torx vs the 19mm bolt on Jeff's.

I found jacking up the drivers side front very helpful - especially for accessing the 3 screws at the back of the underbody panel.

Although underbody panel replacement was also easy it took a lot longer than removal due to the number of fasteners and use of a hand screwdriver vs a power screw driver I used for removal. I'm guessing panel replacement took me nearly 15 minutes for a total time of ~40 minutes - and I was taking my time.

It's been a while since I've changed oil on a vehicle but really enjoyed doing this one - a nice break from sitting in front of a computer all day. Plus I know it was done right - after all previous changes done at the dealer the oil was pretty much as black as when I took it in which made me wonder about how diligent they were in the extraction process.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Just did my first DIY oil change

2013 Q5 2.0T. Dealer supposedly did 5000 mile oil and filter change but was not happy that average mileage had fallen below 20 mpg right after that service. Thought at first that it was a coincidence or weather related (live in the SF Bay Area so weather really should not be an issue). Went on a road trip to La Jolla and yet only got about 26 mpg highway. Very disappointed. Dealer gave me some B.S. that the car needed to be broken in for 10k miles- called Audi and they said not true. Finally read this thread, bought a $12 Mann-Filter W 719/45 Spin-on Oil Filter from Amazon (apparently oem w/o the 4 rings logo) and a $25 five quart jug of Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic oil. Extracted over 4 quarts of very blackened oil and changed filter. Whoa- mileage has averaged close to 28 now. Again- could be a coincidence but glad that problem solved. Thanks to this thread and this forum!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If the shop somehow put in the wrong oil, a higher viscosity, that could affect mileage but a change from 28->20 is a bit extreme. If you had a couple of ounces of the suspect oil left, you could send it to Blackstone for about $25 and find out what it really is.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

RE recent mileage improvements, gas just changed from winter to summer formulations. That alone will yield a mileage improvement.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Only if you are lucky enough to live someplace where they haven't switched to E10 all year round. As many places have now.

In theory our flex-fuel engine computers are supposed to be compensating for fuel changes though. A "dumb" car loses 2-10% mileage, that would reduce 28mpg to 25mpg in the worst case.

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change