Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
RE recent mileage improvements, gas just changed from winter to summer formulations. That alone will yield a mileage improvement.
Yes, that could indeed account for part of the increase. I should have also said that my weekday commute is mostly highway and I am able to avoid peak traffic hours so sipping gas is typically not difficult. When I refueled today - my second week after the oil and filter change it confirmed what the trip computer was showing all of last week- average mpg is now a shade over 29. I am chalking this one up to the dealer screwing something up.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Post needs to get a permanent place in forum....... now we need one for a TDI.....
Old 10-06-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've done numerous oil changes on the Q5 and as you can see, it is very easy. Just hit 70K miles.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default oil change

Originally Posted by jeff968
I've done numerous oil changes on the Q5 and as you can see, it is very easy. Just hit 70K miles.
I was wondering where you got the tube to go down into the dip stick tube to suck out the oil. I have a Q5 and it will be off the service plan soon so I will be changing the oil.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The tube comes with every "oil sucker". Thin tygon tubing or copper "icemaker" tubing is sold at every hardware store. Aquarium pump tubing from pet stores. Oxygen tank tubing (can't collapse under vacuum) from any pharmacy.

The world is full of tubing.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hogmanDon
I was wondering where you got the tube to go down into the dip stick tube to suck out the oil. I have a Q5 and it will be off the service plan soon so I will be changing the oil.
???? Take a look at photo #4. I use good old fashion gravity. No tube required. Remove the drain plug and all the oil drains out the bottom!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you so much for your article, just wondering, the Mobil 1 is ok right? Of course the company says use their oil...
Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the write up! I had planned to do this on my 2010 3.2L today, while it shares the same body I thought I would ask here. The 3 phillips/flat head screws at the rear of the belly pan are completely frozen and the heads are stripped. Because Audi has always sucked the oil out the top i believe they have never been removed.

I am thinking about drilling them out, but wanted to ask anyone who knows this hardware well if that is a good option. I know it mounts to the rear belly pan section and it looks like it also mounts to a cross member bar that is tied to the frame? If i drill out would it be easy to replace the hardware?

I have an oil leak so I really want to be doing my own oil changes so I can start to clean, observe, and trace down the culprit of the leak, as I know the dealer will not take the time and will just recommend endless service and gasket changes...
Old 10-30-2020, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Oil for Audi Q5 with 2.0t

Audi says that u need to add a quart every 1k miles but there is a top notch oil made in Germany just like our Audip's are its called Liqui Molly full synthetic 0w40 Liqui Molly comes highly recommended for our engines so I'm just sharing my knowledge and research, and I just ordered it so I'll be doing my oil change this weekend! I Will get back to you guys as soon as I get it done and put about 1k miles on!! AND THE POST WITH STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ON DIY IS EXTREMELY APRECIATED..
Old 11-04-2020, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have just done the first oil change on an Audi Q5 2014. It's really easy, and pretty much the same as all other car, just adding the quick step of removing the under pane. Don't let removing the under pane scare you. It's really quick & easy.

I also add a Fumoto Valve. With Audi Q5, you can reach the oil plug / Fumoto valve from the top. Adding the Fumoto valve mean I can do the oil change all from the top and don't even need to get under the car next time.

Quick Reply: Q5 2.0T DIY Oil change