Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 3.0T 2013 or 2014

Old 05-28-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 3.0T 2013 or 2014

Hi All,

I have negotiated the price on the following Q5 to invoice form a dealer and still thinking if its better to wait/order a 2014 instead. Do you guys think 2014 will be more pricy and though to negotiate once they are out. I am not sure if this is good time to buy 2013 as 2014 are coming!

2013 Q5 3.0 Premium Plus
Exterior Color: Briliant Black or Phantom Black Pearl
Interior Color: Black leather
Audi MMI Navigation Plus Package
Bang & Oulfson Sound System
Sports Interior Package

MSRP :$50,025 Offered Price: $47,000

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford to wait and get the dealer to offer the same % discount (in writing) on a 2014, I'd wait.

That said, there aren't any notable differences between 2013 and 2014 like there were for 2012-2013 so there really isn't that much benefit to waiting unless you're going for one of the new Q5 releases. (SQ5 & 3.0TDi)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I spoke with another dealer and he said that he can do 2% above invoice on 2014 Q5 3.0T, he also suggested that the Q5 price might go up by 1-2% for 2014.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you can wait, and the price doesn't increase much, I always think the next model year is better. Here's why. Sure, the design might not be different but it's all the little, internal things, they fix that you don't see. The wiring harness that they improve, the computer chip that slightly better or they found a better supplier for part x. On the surface they may be the same car but I think underneath there are always differences. All that and your resale will be higher.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Willowdog
If you can wait, and the price doesn't increase much, I always think the next model year is better. Here's why. Sure, the design might not be different but it's all the little, internal things, they fix that you don't see. The wiring harness that they improve, the computer chip that slightly better or they found a better supplier for part x. On the surface they may be the same car but I think underneath there are always differences. All that and your resale will be higher.
I'm not offering an opinion on the original question so much as providing a little counter input from the engineering side ... Off years in product development also tend to be years for "cost reduction" -- shortening that wiring harness by 1", finding a cheaper supplier for part X, etc. A lot of great products have been de-contented and cost reduced into the dumper by cost engineering after launch.

Me? If I've decided I'm buying, I'd prefer to have it now rather than wait unless there's a compelling improvement in the later model. FWIW
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not much change with the 3.0 engine. But I heard they will bump up the 2.0 engine to 220HP from 211HP. If you can wait, its up to you. If you can't, get one now.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default I would just go w/ best price and options you want (3.0T specific)

If you find a 2013 3.0T exactly as you like it, price is right and options as you like, move ahead. Beyond a few color type tweaks and option shuffling, little new on 3.0T for next year since specs and order guide are now all known. Search on board for more details if you want. Ditto on hybrid. On other hand, for a straight 2.0T, some power increase but maybe more important a tweak that might help possible valve fouling worries w/ FSI might be worth a brief wait for 2014's.

From having owned a lot of Audi's and watched the mid life updates, little happens after that mid cycle refresh to a given model (by engine type). Well that was MY 2013, and the next gen is a few more years out, so likely they will be basically just running the same build from 2013 until the end. Along the way, they may have a few parts bins cleanouts like S line trim, some wheels, etc., but fundamental changes to come until end of current version are likely quite minor big picture. And in the used market, you will eventually basically see pre and post refresh broad price groupings, without a lot of difference beyond condition, included options and motor, and miles.

And hard to know on 2014 pricing. Initially a likely typical annual price modest bump as you mentioned. But, hard to know if in retrospect they will have built too many or too few QS5's, which would most likely be the one to pull buyers from the 3.0T. Back with my A8, they built too many S8's in 2007 as the economy slid, and it took them into early 2008 to work them off even w/ a lot of discounting. Watched it in early 2004 as they got stuck with a lot of high priced RS6's that turned out to have a very narrow initial following. Likewise, could they build too many or too few TDI's--does demand really follow, or is actually more an echo chamber with a small but enthusiastic primary following. Hard to know today, but by early to mid next year, some flavors may have better or worse demand than they thought with dealer pricing for cars on the lot (or coming in soon) adjusting accordingly. On the other hand, if you propose to do an order, less likely pricing fluctuation unless quasi allocated, and in that case given time of year it's a 2014 you would order by now anyway.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-28-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I see that some of you are getting invoice or close to invoice on your 2013 Q5's. What dealers are you speaking to? I am in Anchorage and would like to purchase remotely, fly down, and drive it back up here as a little vacation. Looking for a dealer hopefully in the Northwest somewhere. Thnx.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Omedon
I see that some of you are getting invoice or close to invoice on your 2013 Q5's. What dealers are you speaking to? I am in Anchorage and would like to purchase remotely, fly down, and drive it back up here as a little vacation. Looking for a dealer hopefully in the Northwest somewhere. Thnx.
I found the better price by emailing my requirements and my expected price to all the dealers in US North East states(I m from PA). Basically the dealers with high volume sales and one that has the car you need in their inventory will give you the best price! 2014's are expected to arrive late July, so this is the best time to get a good deal on 2013's. Happy hunting
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell me more about the valve fouling tweak. Am trying to make this decision right now between 2013 and 2014 2.0 Q5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 3.0T 2013 or 2014