Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 aftermarket battery options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Bob, I've wondered about what you describe, but I've never seen it documented.

I will agree that the battery should be coded if VCDS is available.
About a year ago we had a long discussion about this on the Ross-Tech forum.

Just so everyone that reads this post is on the same page, most aftermarket batteries that are not European made and labeled do not have the proper Audi coding information on the label.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Battery Replacement: 2009-2016 Audi Q5 - 2010 Audi Q5 Premium ...
Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Incidentally, JCI bought out the US rights to Bosch and Varta a couple of years ago. They make a lot of brands (or labels(G) so anyplace that can sell you an Optima battery (another JCI brand) should be able to get you a gen-you-whine Bosch OEM replacement, which will be made by JCI in the USA.

There are also $5-10 gizmos that plug into the cigarette lighter socket and use a 9V battery to keep a car's computer memory alive during battery changes. This might work on Audi, obviously the "ignition" has to be on to allow that.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Incidentally, JCI bought out the US rights to Bosch and Varta a couple of years ago. They make a lot of brands (or labels(G) so anyplace that can sell you an Optima battery (another JCI brand) should be able to get you a gen-you-whine Bosch OEM replacement, which will be made by JCI in the USA.

There are also $5-10 gizmos that plug into the cigarette lighter socket and use a 9V battery to keep a car's computer memory alive during battery changes. This might work on Audi, obviously the "ignition" has to be on to allow that.
I think that's what sears does or something like that. Last battery and everything was the same on my infiniti.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have one that connects to the OBDII port and I use a gel cell 12V battery with it to keep settings, works on any vehicle, and no need to turn on the ignition switch.

Just a comment here this 12V memory saver device will save a lot of Audi/ECU settings, but it has nothing to do with coding a new battery replacement to allow the power management system to work correctly. You need a VCDS or dealer to do it.

Yes, most batteries in the US, including Sears, Walmart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Pepboys, etc., are made by Johnson Controls, except Interstate and Delco.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The ODB2 port is a better way to go, just may not be as common.
The problem with using a 'keep alive" gizmo is that so many cars are using complex charge management controllers with largely undocumented functions. If you connect a voltmeter in a Q5, whether it is in the cig lighter or at the battery doesn't matter. You may see the system voltage ranging from 12.6 to 14.4 during a day's drive, with no obvious relation to which systems are turned on, or what speed you are running at, or how long you've been on the road. I've done this and frankly, after being used to old cars where it just said "14.4" all day and dropped maybe to "13.8" when idling or heavy loads were on...The logic Audi is using has me baffled. It makes me suspect that the controller is actually reading the battery state of charge as well as the system loads, and allowing the battery to intentionally float rather than stay at max voltage. Without debating the esoterics of charging systems, there ARE systems that get more complex than that, usually on larger systems. But hey, this is Audi.

It is indeed *possible* that the charge controller is quietly saying to itself "OK, I can never exceed a charge voltage of ### because this battery will only be overcharged by it" and like an odometer, only running the numbers one-way until it is reset. I asked some SEALs to grab a few Audi engineers for me, so I could force the hostages to talk, but they said no, Merkel gets upset about stuff like that. What can you do.

AFAIK Deka/East Penn, Exide, and JCI are the three biggest US battery makers. But even when a chain store contracts with one of them, the chain may contract with more than one source, because shipping a battery from Texas or Pennsylvania for three thousand miles just costs too much. Splitting national chains into geographic areas saves them gobs of money. And really, if they put out the same purchase specs? It doesn't matter who builds it, as long as they meet those specs. Special cases like Odyssey (TPPL) and Concorde/Lifeline (aviation spec AGM) are only going to come from one source, but that's hardly mass market.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The ODB2 port is a better way to go, just may not be as common.
The problem with using a 'keep alive" gizmo is that so many cars are using complex charge management controllers with largely undocumented functions. If you connect a voltmeter in a Q5, whether it is in the cig lighter or at the battery doesn't matter. You may see the system voltage ranging from 12.6 to 14.4 during a day's drive, with no obvious relation to which systems are turned on, or what speed you are running at, or how long you've been on the road. I've done this and frankly, after being used to old cars where it just said "14.4" all day and dropped maybe to "13.8" when idling or heavy loads were on...The logic Audi is using has me baffled. It makes me suspect that the controller is actually reading the battery state of charge as well as the system loads, and allowing the battery to intentionally float rather than stay at max voltage. Without debating the esoterics of charging systems, there ARE systems that get more complex than that, usually on larger systems. But hey, this is Audi.

It is indeed *possible* that the charge controller is quietly saying to itself "OK, I can never exceed a charge voltage of ### because this battery will only be overcharged by it" and like an odometer, only running the numbers one-way until it is reset. I asked some SEALs to grab a few Audi engineers for me, so I could force the hostages to talk, but they said no, Merkel gets upset about stuff like that. What can you do.

AFAIK Deka/East Penn, Exide, and JCI are the three biggest US battery makers. But even when a chain store contracts with one of them, the chain may contract with more than one source, because shipping a battery from Texas or Pennsylvania for three thousand miles just costs too much. Splitting national chains into geographic areas saves them gobs of money. And really, if they put out the same purchase specs? It doesn't matter who builds it, as long as they meet those specs. Special cases like Odyssey (TPPL) and Concorde/Lifeline (aviation spec AGM) are only going to come from one source, but that's hardly mass market.
Johnson Controls has at least 10 manufacturing plants througout the US. I just read that Interstate batteries are now produced by JC. JC. recently announced that they will speed $500 million to increase battery producton output, especially AGM.

Yes, the the variable charging voltage is done to not over charge the battery to some extent. The main reason for the variable charge voltage is to reduce the alternator load on the engine to reduce fuel consumption. Most modern vehicles do this.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Variable alternator output for better mpg? That's interesting, and even logical. Once the computer power is cheap enough so that this kind of housekeeping can be run without impacting anything else, I guess that makes sense. But even the 1970's Delcotron's had that much sense. They always put out 14.3-14.4 volts, they simply changed their output pulse rate in a range from something like 100Hz to 10,000Hz, just tickling the battery constantly to keep a full charge on it. Swinging the entire system voltage over a much wider range...almost sounds like some engineer took up a dare. Or a double-dare.
I suppose there must be something somewhere that goes into these things, but modern charging logic somehow isn't on the Times Best Seller list. Or at the corner coffee & book store.(G)
Old 07-16-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Variable alternator output for better mpg? That's interesting, and even logical. Once the computer power is cheap enough so that this kind of housekeeping can be run without impacting anything else, I guess that makes sense. But even the 1970's Delcotron's had that much sense. They always put out 14.3-14.4 volts, they simply changed their output pulse rate in a range from something like 100Hz to 10,000Hz, just tickling the battery constantly to keep a full charge on it. Swinging the entire system voltage over a much wider range...almost sounds like some engineer took up a dare. Or a double-dare.
I suppose there must be something somewhere that goes into these things, but modern charging logic somehow isn't on the Times Best Seller list. Or at the corner coffee & book store.(G)

Here is one of many examples where Audi does it........

Alternator control dynamics
(drive load response)

When the heated rear window is switched on, the
alternator voltage is not increased immediately,
but rather adjusted within 3, 6 or 9 s as a function
of engine speed and temperature. This
continuous, infinitely variable regulation of the
alternator torque results in uniform engine

I also read where they are now switching the alternator off under heavy acceleration, only using the battery to supply the electrical load, to improve acceleration performance by not mechanically loading down the engine.

Just more gizmos and modules to fail later in life.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for batterry replacement, can i just put a battery charger on the Q5 (battery post at front)?

and do i need to have accessory key at "on"?

Quick Reply: Q5 aftermarket battery options?