Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 or allroad?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was hoping the Allroad would be more attractive on the price point.

A premium plus car with navigation is 47k. A prestige 1 color with 19" wheels and a sport package is 52 large.

That's a lot of bread and it makes the Q5 look like the better buy. My loaded up '11 Prestige Avant with the 19" sport package was just over 48k.

So $4000 more for the Allroad equipped seems kinda steep. I'd want the vent. seats and maybe even the air suspension at that price.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 05-05-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
I was hoping the Allroad would be more attractive on the price point.

A premium plus car with navigation is 47k. A prestige 1 color with 19" wheels and a sport package is 52 large.

That's a lot of bread and it makes the Q5 look like the better buy. My loaded up '11 Prestige Avant with the 19" sport package was just over 48k.

So $4000 more for the Allroad equipped seems kinda steep. I'd want the vent. seats and maybe even the air suspension at that price.
I'm curious . . . where are you getting your pricing. I read the allroad was expected to base in the $37 to $38k range, but with more standard equipment than the Q5. The Audi US website still doesn't have pricing or a configurator.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I'm curious . . . where are you getting your pricing. I read the allroad was expected to base in the $37 to $38k range, but with more standard equipment than the Q5. The Audi US website still doesn't have pricing or a configurator.
The Allroad is cheaper than the Q5 and should be in the high 30s as base and into the 40s with the various packages.
One thing to consider is safety. The Q5 sits higher, therefore from a frontal collision standpoint, it should be safer (the higher you sit relative to another car, collision forces are directed lower on your body which is better for survival).
One other thing you may or may not care about - is that in the US, wagons are typically driven by the female soccer moms. SUVs are little more evenly distributed among male and female.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

ahh but you see the allroad starts more expensive and will probably run more expensive with packages. A loaded Q5 2.0T with every option is $46k. I bet the allroad rings in with the same features for closer to $50k but at that point maybe the price difference isn't the biggest deal.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gheffty93
The allroad has 50 cubic feet of cargo capacity with the second row seats folded and the Q5 has 57.3 cubic feet. It just has more room.
I was allways under the incorrect impression that the avant had a larger trunk than the Q5.

Thank you for correcting me.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
I was allways under the incorrect impression that the avant had a larger trunk than the Q5.

Thank you for correcting me.

No problem! The old A4 Avants used to have more cargo capacity. I think the previous gen actually had 60 cubic feet but with the new, sleeker design, that decreased. To put it in perspective, it has about the same space as a Range Rover Evoque.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ahh but you see the allroad starts more expensive and will probably run more expensive with packages. A loaded Q5 2.0T with every option is $46k. I bet the allroad rings in with the same features for closer to $50k but at that point maybe the price difference isn't the biggest deal.
That's about right for the allroad - $39,600 base; $42,900 premium plus; $48,800 prestige (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2825701 ) The complete pricing including invoice and all the various options is also available on aol autos website.

Also, FYI, the MPG has also been released for the 2013 allroad (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....31242&id=31297) - unfortunately it's about the same as the 2012 Q5.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No problem! The old A4 Avants used to have more cargo capacity. I think the previous gen actually had 60 cubic feet but with the new, sleeker design, that decreased. To put it in perspective, it has about the same space as a Range Rover Evoque.
Fewer cubes, but more square. The cargo floor in the allroad is larger, but cubic storage suffers in comparison because of the lower roof. I rarely stack, so floor space is far mor important to me. Plus the allroads has the track system, which is ideal for me since I always have work gear sliding around.

http://autoranger.net/2013-audi-a4-a...-quattro-trunk
Old 05-06-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
The Allroad is cheaper than the Q5 and should be in the high 30s as base and into the 40s with the various packages.
One thing to consider is safety. The Q5 sits higher, therefore from a frontal collision standpoint, it should be safer (the higher you sit relative to another car, collision forces are directed lower on your body which is better for survival).
One other thing you may or may not care about - is that in the US, wagons are typically driven by the female soccer moms. SUVs are little more evenly distributed among male and female.
Sorry, I feel safer with a lower center of gravity. The higher center of gravity you prefer will also result in the Q5 rolling much easier. And of course handling is better as well.

As far as I'm concerned, wagons far surpass crossovers in terms of "coolness". So while it matters little to me, I would like to see the male/female breakdown for A4 Avant purchases. Until I see stats to the contrary, I'll believe what I see, which is that male Avant owners far outnumber females.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Sorry, I feel safer with a lower center of gravity. The higher center of gravity you prefer will also result in the Q5 rolling much easier. And of course handling is better as well.
And I agree with you...BUT, what if you are doing nothing wrong and you get T-Boned or hit by a drunk? You have no control over that situation and it sucks. Therefore the bigger heavier vehicle will be safer (if both designed with similar crash protection)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 or allroad?