Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a weird thing and happens to every third driver so i guess it isn't inappropriate.
Use a proper back protector that will help you in staying away from this all.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by runmiller
Is there anyone else who is experiencing back pain while driving the Q5.
I too have the sports seats and, while 2 hours is the longest I've driven so far, I've found the seats very comfortable indeed - as have my passengers (front and back). Steve
Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I feel very comfortable and supportive with the regular Q5 seat than the others like Dodge, Nissan, Toyota....
Every body feels different with the same seat.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gossip Girl
Try this:
Amazon.com: Obus Forme High-back Backrest, Black: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Obus Forme High-back Backrest, Black: Health & Personal Care

I used to reverse the headrest on my other cars...cannot do on New cars because of "safety". I think the headrest on all cars these days is too much angle for correct posture.
"Headrests" really aren't for resting heads. They're for safety in a frontal or rear-end crash. If you're leaning your head against one you're in too relaxed of a position to pay adequate attention and drive properly. Jus' sayin'.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
"Headrests" really aren't for resting heads. They're for safety in a frontal or rear-end crash. If you're leaning your head against one you're in too relaxed of a position to pay adequate attention and drive properly. Jus' sayin'.
These days they are referred to as head restraints most of the time.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey everyone- new to Audi world and Audi in general. I've had my 2012 Q7 s line since October 2016, and have terrible right hip pain that shoots down my rear into my knee down to foot-- odd maybe- I'm 32-- I went from a Honda Accord to a Audi so I'm still learning things but I've been reading on the forum about back pain in audis in general-- I've tried everything. Went in for X-rays guys yesterday saw some mild arthritis in my right hip and lumbar- alright no biggy I was a cheerleader and in gymnastics back in my younger years- I never had much hip pain in my Accord, so now in more steroids and meds to see if it will curb it-- I believe form reading I have the standard seats- any one have any advice for me- I'm 5'4 about 190 so not the skinny soccer mom running around town in my cute Audi, I'm in real estate in and out of my car all day now and long 4 hour road trips..
Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Cici-
If you have a chiropractor (they're not all quacks) or orthopedist who is familiar with your problems, ask them if they can come down to the car with you and take a look at your seated posture, from both sides. As a paid consult if need be. The "right" positions for best support and comfort are not necessarily the ones that feel comfortable when you get in, so ask them about that. The seat should have enough adjustments to fit you somewhere, and at 5'4" you should fit into the design range for the car.
Personally, I find the stock seat on my Q5 was very comfortable in the showroom, on the test ride, or riding around town. But the first time I hit the interstate...after about six hours it is simply inadequate. And I'm used to fiddling a bit with the seat every few hours, to break up the ride and feel. (Doesn't quite help on the Q5, maybe the sport seats would have done better.)
But there are also all sorts of extra backrests and support pads you can add, and if you can find something that really works for you, any auto upholstery shop (very hard to find!) can actually change the padding IN the seat to match.
Good luck.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
Cici-
If you have a chiropractor (they're not all quacks) or orthopedist who is familiar with your problems, ask them if they can come down to the car with you and take a look at your seated posture, from both sides. As a paid consult if need be. The "right" positions for best support and comfort are not necessarily the ones that feel comfortable when you get in, so ask them about that. The seat should have enough adjustments to fit you somewhere, and at 5'4" you should fit into the design range for the car.
Personally, I find the stock seat on my Q5 was very comfortable in the showroom, on the test ride, or riding around town. But the first time I hit the interstate...after about six hours it is simply inadequate. And I'm used to fiddling a bit with the seat every few hours, to break up the ride and feel. (Doesn't quite help on the Q5, maybe the sport seats would have done better.)
But there are also all sorts of extra backrests and support pads you can add, and if you can find something that really works for you, any auto upholstery shop (very hard to find!) can actually change the padding IN the seat to match.
Good luck.
Thank you for the fast response- all those steps are in the works- I get the same pain in the passenger seat too. We just did a 30 Sunday morning drive in Oklahoma City, ok. I think the nerve sciatic is just too mad now cause anyway I sit I hurt now. Thank you for all these ideas.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by runmiller
New to this forum stuff. But I thought I was going crazy. I have had my Q5 for two years and I drive a lot of miles. I noticed my back began to ache after I began driving the Q5 more frequently as my main vehicle. Recently I have experienced such bad pain that I can not drive for more than 20 minutes before the pain is so intense...I get to my destination and walk for a while and the pain subsides. I drive our second car which is a Volkswagen Jetta and their is no issue. on a whim I Google Audi Q5 and back pain, and found some older threads about this issue with the Q5. Is there anyone else who is experiencing back pain while driving the Q5.
I am sort of comfortable in Q5 only if the lumbar support is fully retracted and is all the way up.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had in my A7 sport seats, and I changed them to comfort. Now it's more comfortable to me when I go on a long distance trip. I don't feel any more back in my pain.

Quick Reply: Q5 Back Pain