Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Q5 Brake Pads warning light at 22k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBluu
Elevens/Reggie:

I think both of you are running Centric pads. Which part number did you get for the rears? It seems that Zeckhausen lists the wrong part number for the rear on the Q5. Centric's website lists 104.13860 vs Zeck's 104.10180.
Have not ordered them for the Q5 yet but email dave at Zeckhausen -He will will look into it.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
To make this comparison truthful you should tell the compound from each brake pads and Brinell or Rockwell hardness from rotors or you can skip the Brinell and tell actual molybden-chrom-etc combination of the steel used on rotors.

Even the car weigth is different so what is the point of comparison?

It's like me comparing Fiat Uno and Ferrari 599, hey those both are cars...

Hard driving doesn't mean much as your wife can be stanging on brakes all the time and it will wear out the pads.

Hard driving doesn't equal hard braking as I used to beat the crap out of familys 911 we used on race tracks and my brake need was depended on the track shape, not how fast I went and on some tracks I barely touched the brakes.

The track time shows on tires as the drifting will wear out the tire shoulders and tires itself.

Anyways, my point was...

Anyone who have been working with metals know that softer is the "donator", meaning one will always wear out.

Either pad lining material is soft (and generates dust) and it will be the pad wearing out.

Harder pads with normal rotos and the rotor will wear out.

Another story is if one changes to harder pads and harder rotors (or even to composite racing rotors)

Oh well, each of their own and when my rims get dirty I just wash the car on the driveway and if nothing else, at least I get some natural excercise...
I'm with you on this one!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Brake problem

E=jakek82;24050126]HI.

My Brake Pads warning light just came on. I have only 22K miles on the car but dealer is saying that it's normal for Q5.
I'm thinking of doing that service not at the dealer. Does anyone know what size pads I need?
Brake pads - 320x30mm - 320x30mm or Brake pads - 345x29.5mm - 345x29.5mm for a 2009 Q5.
Also, what else do I need - Just the pads and the sensor?

Will the warning light go away on it's own once the sensor is replaced? Or does the dealer need to changes something in the system.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Hi Jake, I got my 2013 q5 last May and have had it into the dealer 4 times due to brake issues. It started with the squeak and they cleaned the rotors. One week later it started again and they cleaned the rotors again. You guessed it, two weeks later it started again. This time they replaced the rotors and pads and the squeaking went away. About a month later I was driving on the highway with my wife and kids and had to brake going 70mph and the pedal fell to the floocarwnd I swerved to the shoulder and after pumping the brakes they came back. Then the same thing happened to my wife. Took it back to the dealer and one of the calipers was leaking oil and its still there today. I've had 7 other issues besides the brakes and its ridiculous. The dealer could care less. I told them it was staying there until they replace the car, I can't take the chance having the brakes give out and kill or Hurt my family. The Audi rep offered an extended warranty but that doesn't fix brakes that give out while driving. Sorry for the long post and I hope yours ends up better than mine.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's 2011 Q5 has 47k miles and the brake warning hasn't come on yet. Still running original pads and rotors. Was just at the dealer recently and they didn't even bring up the topic.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Some dealers are always looking to invoice more, no matter if needed

I lost confidence on my dealer and it is really bad, because now i cannot trust them - every time i take the car the find that they need to replace tires (in one case with less that 20K miles on them) or break pads - some juicy. The warning lights never actually came one, and when i ask them, it is always the same reason "well, they can still go for another 5 to 10k miles, but since you are here today" - It is not only unethical, but they should be fined by the environmental agency..... Greenwich CT