Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Carbon on exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I think your dealer is dyslexic. Premium fuel in Germany is actually 98 RON, which equals 93 AKI (the octane scale we use in NA). Regardless, octane has nothing to do with tailpipe soot. Soot is most likely a function of the DI fuel delivery and DI engines typically run very rich on cold starts. If your driving pattern is typically lots of shorter trips with fewer long ones there'll be more soot. Also, any oil consumption will contribute to fouled tips.

I've owned four vehicles with DI, and the only one that didn't have a lot of tailpipe soot was an F150 which was 90% highway driven.
This car is typically driven 12 miles at a time on highway. I currently have 4100 miles and the display shows no oil consumption yet. Wish it had a dipstick though.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto. Briefly had a '13 3.0T that had chronic carbon drool. Knock on wood, but this has been a non existent issue with current TDi.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by plumber212
This car is typically driven 12 miles at a time on highway. I currently have 4100 miles and the display shows no oil consumption yet. Wish it had a dipstick though.
You do know you can buy one, right?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Once it's baked on, it can't be chemically removed (other than perhaps concentrated sulfuric acid and/or 30-40% hydrogen peroxide which will ruin your metal). This carbon is the same **** that coats the intake valves of DI vehicles.. Shaky dealers will try to sell you snake oil that will cure the intake valve carbon, but it's a total and complete waste of your money. The ONLY way is mechanical (hand scrubbing).

In the case of the exhaust pipes, if the carbon is old and baked, Never-Dull is a lot of work but at least it won't scratch the chrome plating. It comes in SECOND PLACE to Blue Magic and #0000 steel wool, which is the best.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 01-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours is driven short to moderate distances with an occasional longer haul. I'll be keeping an eye out for build up but I think it would have appeared by now. Good luck with getting a solution to your issue.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
You do know you can buy one, right?
a dipstick? no I was not aware of that. Do you have any info?
Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

a dipstick? no I was not aware of that. Do you have any info?
ECS tuning have it.http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q5-Qua...ick/ES2093747/
Old 01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Re: dipsticks you might want to read through this thread as the lengths / parts can vary.

http://www.myaudiq5.com/index.php/to...pstick/unread/
Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

it's what Elevens sez: it's the toxic crap created by the DI engines. It's very evident on both our cars.

I've found that you've got to attack it every week when the car is washed. Then removal isn't too bad. I treat it just like the 5th wheel and use a bit of wheel cleaner and a tooth brush to lift the stuff off. If it's hasn't been cleaned for a long time, you will need to attack with the #0000 steel wool and some type of cleaner or polish. Frequent cleaning is mandatory to keep it looking as good as the rest of the car.

I've got a dozen different metal polishes in my basement and have had measured success with all, but nothing truly impressive. Someone over on the detailing site suggest the Chemical Guys' product called Metal Shine Extreme Polish & Protection for Metal. I bought a bottle of this six months ago and have been really pleased with it in a number of applications. And it does appear to control the build up of the toxic goo in the following weeks and I can't report that with any of my other polishes.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually octane can effect it. Not sure if Audi does this but many cars are programmed to add fuel if it detects knock, and by running slightly rich it can leave deposits on the exhaust tips and the back bumper of the car. They really do need premium if you are going to push it at all. Under a load it could just be throwing a bit more fuel.

I do want to try the wd40 trick. Never done that one.

Quick Reply: Q5 Carbon on exhaust tips