Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 DIY Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 DIY Fogs

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought some H11 xenon match bulbs from Hoen and wanted to share the installation process and comparisons with you. The installation was relatively simple, I did the work and had a helping hand to pass me tools and to reach in an extra hand to hold back the wheel well liner. Just be cautious not to drop the bulbs, cut yourself on and sharp edges, or touch the bulb itself. If you can hold a fork and knife, you can swap your bulbs too.

Here are some photos of the old fogs before the install.

First you set up some lighting and get your tools together, you need a light, a T25 torx screwdriver, and something to jam in between the bumper and wheel well liner (like a shoe or something, I used an armor-all wipes container), as well as steady hands.

Unscrew the three screws as pictured, keep note of which one goes where. I doubt they are different, but just in case.

Pull it away from the bumper, and put something in there to keep it open or have your helping hand hold it out of the way. By the way, a lot of crap soaks the liner. Don't do this in a hugo boss jacket.

The bulb is in there, you can't miss it. Just twist and gently pull out. Keep in mind that you can pull the bulb out of the tight space on the drivers side (NA, maybe different for Euro), but there is much less length on the passenger side, so do the easy side first. Here is twisting out the passenger side one.

Now, my apologies, but I didn't take a picture of how to disconnect the bulb from the wire. JohnBoyToo (thanks buddy!) had a picture that I referred to (I mean saved my bacon) for how to do it. Here's the link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/alb...ctureid=231201

Here's a picture of just the driver's side fog installed for comparison.

And pictures of the difference between the two Q5's, but it's much more noticeable in person than in this picture.

Old fogs

New Fogs

And that's all there is to it. I'll post some night pictures when I get the chance, that will be a better example of how nice these lights are. Send me a PM or just discuss on the thread if you have any questions. Cheers!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny - the passenger side on the 11 had enough length on the wires to pull out so I could see how to work with it... and drivers side had almost no slack !

The Hoen's ARE still going strong for us and we use them as running lites all the time... (we don't have no steekin' fog here!) lites up the roadside well...
Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks great! Maybe a inexperienced guy like me could even do it.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Perfect! Right on time. Just received the same bulbs from the mail. Can't wait to put them on. Your Q looks great with those matching fogs.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One can access the fog lights from fenderwell or from front

Pull off the front fog light cover and remove the light housing...

Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
One can access the fog lights from fenderwell or from front

Pull off the front fog light cover and remove the light housing...
Is yours non s-line? The s-line trim wouldn't budge.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have remove a sline foglight grille before, you have to pull it toward the side of the car and really yank on it.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried pulling on my non s-line, but not knowing how the clips were fastened, I was tentative and didn't want to break anything on the wife's new car

so I took the 5 minutes to pull back the wheel liner.

Now that I somewhat see how the clips are aligned in the pic above, if I need to go back in there, I may try it again...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone used the Hoen Endurance H11 kit? I prefer the yellow look. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Höen Fog Lights

Got my lights in today at 7:15. Popped off the front fog light grills and had both changed at 7:20. Couldn't have been easier.

Quick Reply: Q5 DIY Fogs