Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Front license plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjaiello
Okay here's the front of my car.

From what I've found out I believe I do have the license plate "holder". It just seems odd that there are two molded holes (the two up top)that don't line up with holes on a license plate (although there's no female thread behind them either). Seems like it is there to mate with an actual "bracket" that the plate would then secure to.

Therefore, am I in fact supposed to screw the plate directly to this piece?
Mine has the holes for the top screws and the plate I want to put there has horizontal slots so they lineup. As you can see, you can see the grille thru the holes; no nutplates. So, how are you supposed to attach the plate? This really shouldn't be this hard or complicated with sensors, no sensors, plates, no plates, s-line, no s-line. If I had no plate and move to a state that requires plates, it costs a couple hundred bucks????
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running with no front plate for 2 years now
Old 04-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just ordered a 2012 Q5 which will have the S Line grill. Live California were a front plate is required. However the look of the license plate holder is UGLY. Has anyone removed one without having to take the grill out. I have been running a GL 450 without a front plate for 3 years and a E55 without a front plate for 9 years and haven't been busted yet. Was going to order the Q5 without the bracket but thought I had better in case I got busted and then would have to jury rig something.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pls5160
I just ordered a 2012 Q5 which will have the S Line grill. Live California were a front plate is required. However the look of the license plate holder is UGLY. Has anyone removed one without having to take the grill out. I have been running a GL 450 without a front plate for 3 years and a E55 without a front plate for 9 years and haven't been busted yet. Was going to order the Q5 without the bracket but thought I had better in case I got busted and then would have to jury rig something.
The plate bracket is just clipped on and there may be 2 screws in the front (below where the plate should be) that holds it in place. Be aware that if you have parking sensors, the panel below the the plate bracket may have holes that give clearance to the sensors. In the end you will need to have/purchase the filler panel that doesn't have the plate holder to look right.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I can still change my order since it was only placed about 10 days ago. I am going to take my changes and have the license plate bracket deleted. I assume the filler then will take it's place. If I get busted I'll zip tie it scotch tape it or something until Mr. Black and White leaves.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Surprisingly, the license plate holder (if you were to buy it) is cheaper (by about $40) than the filler panel

Check ECS Tuning to see what I mean
Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I looked at the ECS tuning and I see what you mean. The license plate holder is just Double Ugly and detracts from the beautiful front end look.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Q5 plate holder for sale

Hi,

I have a 2010 Q5 and register it in Florida. I recently swapped the front license plate holder, glossy black, for the license plate filler.

I'm interested in selling the license plate holder. It is in very good condition. I only have about 16,000 miles and garage my Q5 when I'm traveling.

The dealer charged me $240.00 for the filler plate. I'm not sure what they charge for the plate holder. I do not have parking sensors. It was the original equipment on my 2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus.

I've thought about selling it on ebay or craigslist, but thought someone here might be interested.

If I can upload some pictures here, I will.

Thanks,

David Cornwell
954-558-4133
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What did the dealer charge you to install the filler plate?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pls5160
What did the dealer charge you to install the filler plate?
The filler plate is very easy to install (just clips)... the plate holder usually has a couple screws (behind where the license plate would go) and then clips at the top/bottom (as per pic above)...

If you have the parking sensors, those are also clipped/snapped into the holes of the panel.

Quick Reply: Q5 Front license plate holder