Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

matte black emblems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default matte black emblems

So I purchased Matte Black emblems for my wife for christmas from Parts4Euro.com. We were HIGHLY disappointed with the product, ended up being too small, didnt fit our grill, we have a 2010 Q5. I will admit I wasnt 100% sure how Parts4Euro measured their product, but they had the emblems listed as fitting a Q5. Anyways, the quality is also VERY sub par. They state on their FB page they have only high quality OEM parts, that statement is far from true! When you hold the emblems compared to the factory emblems they are very cheap feeling and sounding.

Anyways, does anyone out there have a good place to pick up matte black emblems? I have seen different links about painting them, using Plasti Dip and a few other things. I would prefer to just swap out emblems and keep the factory ones just in case I need to change them back. I am not too worried about price, I dont want to pay an arm and a leg, but I do want a quality part. Any suggestions on where to find quality Audi aftermarket parts would be greatly appreciated.

This was the first step to changing parts on the Q5 to make her look like we want. And any help in sure I get quality parts would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say Parts4Euro is no longer on my list of places to buy parts.

Hope Everyone had a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen it in person, but what about Plasti Dip? You can keep your current emblems and get the look you want until you're tired of it, or until you sell the car.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I second Plasti Dip. Easy to apply, and if you want to trade in the car you can easily get ahold of OEM emblems to put back on. (that way you don't have to keep track of where you stored them for 3 years until you trade it in). Or, you can easily remove Plasti Dip by letting it soak in Goo-Gone and scrub it off.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

PlastiDip worked well for me. Front and back emblems; front grill. Still got to do the trim around the windows.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Give it a shot!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all. I have seen the Plasti Dip. Still not 100% sold on it. But I am considering it.

Bleh - how long has your plasti dip been on there and is it holding up good? Does it hold of up washing, waxing and everyday use?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1 for PlastiDip. I sprayed the door handles on my MegaCab gunmetal grey to match the body color (OEM handles are black). 4 months later they still look great. Considering how much "use" door handles receive I am a confident badges will hold up nicely.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

PlastiDip is great stuff; it comes in a lot of colors, it is tuff, lasts a long time and if you get tired of it, or do a bad job putting it on it's not a lot of work to remove. Buy a can and give it a shot.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

ok, so i bought a can of plasti dip today. And the light bulb came on when I saw the spray can! lol I have used the dip can version of this stuff to add grips to pliers and other misc hand tools. I dont know why i didn't put two and two together. Either way, I am going to see how it all looks and turns out. still not 100% if I want to have a "rubber grippy" emblem and other trim pieces, but it seems like a good place to start and see how it goes. Worse cause I peel it off and try something different.

I will post some before and after pictures once i get it done. Hopefully tomorrow or this weekend before I have to go back to work.

Thanks all!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Plasti-Dip is the way to go. And if some comes off, peel it and do it again, I just did the whole car a while ago as a test. Amazing stuff.

Quick Reply: matte black emblems