Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 misfires alot more !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 misfires alot more !!!!

I need help fellow Q5 owners.

I live in Omaha, NE and I recently bought a 2010 Q5 3.2 Prestige-S-line with 10.5k miles. The car is a beauty and a beast(in a good way).

Recently, the weather has gotten colder at night, but my car is parked in house garage. The weather shouldn't affect it.

But recently it doesn't start up on the first ignition try. Always on the 2nd try it runs.

About 2 weeks go I got the CEL to come on. I brought it into Audi service and left it for them immediately as I got the light.

The code reported a "misfire". They ran diagnostics and couldn't find anything wrong so they cleared the CEL. Well after 2weeks here we are...The car randomly does not want to start on the first try. It sounds like it starts then chokes out never getting past 1k RPMs.

Today it was warm and I was trying to go out for lunch, tried to start the car and the RPMs was struggling to get past 800, so I gave it a lil' gas and it stayed on.

I called Audi service to schedule something and told him that I am unhappy with the frequent engine starts regardless of what time of the day it is or temp. He told me that Audi cannot proceed unless there is a CEL code to conduct any resolution, but they will run tests when I bring it in next week. The single service guy at this place told me that it could be the quality of gas I am using that is causing it to choke out. I spend top f'in dollar at BP gas stations to get 92 octane!

For the money I spent on this car, I am really sad/mad/depressed that it doesn't fire up the first time everytime!!!

Please advise...
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

92 Octane.... I used to use that in my Chez Vega years back
Go for the real Mc....coy 94 octane this is a Audi

BCD-I
Old 10-07-2011, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by khobie402
I need help fellow Q5 owners.

I live in Omaha, NE and I recently bought a 2010 Q5 3.2 Prestige-S-line with 10.5k miles. The car is a beauty and a beast(in a good way).

Recently, the weather has gotten colder at night, but my car is parked in house garage. The weather shouldn't affect it.

But recently it doesn't start up on the first ignition try. Always on the 2nd try it runs.

About 2 weeks go I got the CEL to come on. I brought it into Audi service and left it for them immediately as I got the light.

The code reported a "misfire". They ran diagnostics and couldn't find anything wrong so they cleared the CEL. Well after 2weeks here we are...The car randomly does not want to start on the first try. It sounds like it starts then chokes out never getting past 1k RPMs.

Today it was warm and I was trying to go out for lunch, tried to start the car and the RPMs was struggling to get past 800, so I gave it a lil' gas and it stayed on.

I called Audi service to schedule something and told him that I am unhappy with the frequent engine starts regardless of what time of the day it is or temp. He told me that Audi cannot proceed unless there is a CEL code to conduct any resolution, but they will run tests when I bring it in next week. The single service guy at this place told me that it could be the quality of gas I am using that is causing it to choke out. I spend top f'in dollar at BP gas stations to get 92 octane!

For the money I spent on this car, I am really sad/mad/depressed that it doesn't fire up the first time everytime!!!

Please advise...
First I would switch gas stations - go to a shell texaco chevron station. Could be that the station has water in their tanks. You have to eliminate that as a cause.
Second it seems that the dealer should be able to give you a loaner so they can try to duplicate the problem when the engine is cold.
Yes they do need codes to help diagnosis the root cause but a good shop can do other things to find the cause.

Keep us posted
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember reading members' posts about something similar a while back, and it turned out to be bad fuel injectors. It can't hurt to have the dealership check that out. Here is a link to one of those threads.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=misfire
Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Classic FSI carbon buildup symptoms. If this is news to you, then you're in for a very rude awakening. Sorry.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My money is on leaky injectors.

Get your stealer to check for service bulletins relating to injectors.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by khobie402

Please advise...
if it isn't giving a CEL then the dealer can only guess as to what the problem is and they don't get paid to do that. It's perfectly understandable that they won't proceed.
The quality of fuel or leaky injectors could certainly be the problem. If injectors are faulty they'll likely get worse in short order. I would think that it's a little early to consider carbon build-up but not an impossibility.

It could also be that you are causing this problem. No way for me to know because I don't know your driving habits. Think back to the last time you had starting issues. The night before...did you start you "cold" Q and move it a very short distance and then shut it off... like repositioning it in the driveway? And then not attempt another cold start until the next AM? This chain of events can foul spark plugs. It happens a lot when owners wash their car. They move it out of the driveway...wash their car...then start it again to drive it back into the garage. BAD!

If you start a cold engine and shut it down after a few seconds and the enriched fuel mixture never quite burns away it stays in the combustion chamber and soaks the plugs. The next AM you repeat the cycle with another cold start and this time the enriched mixture is added to already suspect plugs and it won't start or misfires. In cooler weather this is a common occurrence in some cars. If you are guilty of this then just quit doing it. Make sure you run the engine for at least 3 minutes after a cold start.

Iif you want to check for leaky injectors just pull the plugs and note which ones appear wet and smell of fuel. It's as easy as that. Then report you findings to the dealer.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 10-08-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I second what others have said. Assuming low quality fuel is not an issue, it sounds like either carbon buildup (which the 3.2FSI engine is notorious for) or an injector problem.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money is on the injectors. I had the exact same issue and no it wasn't the gas, I didn't start it and drive 5 yards, it only had 1000 miles so no carbon buildup, and there weren't any codes. Took it to the dealer, asked them to check the injectors, and sure enough some were leaking. Haven't had an issue since. Seems to be a rather common issue here with the 3.2s.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
if it isn't giving a CEL then the dealer can only guess as to what the problem is and they don't get paid to do that. It's perfectly understandable that they won't proceed.
The quality of fuel or leaky injectors could certainly be the problem. If injectors are faulty they'll likely get worse in short order. I would think that it's a little early to consider carbon build-up but not an impossibility.

It could also be that you are causing this problem. No way for me to know because I don't know your driving habits. Think back to the last time you had starting issues. The night before...did you start you "cold" Q and move it a very short distance and then shut it off... like repositioning it in the driveway? And then not attempt another cold start until the next AM? This chain of events can foul spark plugs. It happens a lot when owners wash their car. They move it out of the driveway...wash their car...then start it again to drive it back into the garage. BAD!

If you start a cold engine and shut it down after a few seconds and the enriched fuel mixture never quite burns away it stays in the combustion chamber and soaks the plugs. The next AM you repeat the cycle with another cold start and this time the enriched mixture is added to already suspect plugs and it won't start or misfires. In cooler weather this is a common occurrence in some cars. If you are guilty of this then just quit doing it. Make sure you run the engine for at least 3 minutes after a cold start.

Iif you want to check for leaky injectors just pull the plugs and note which ones appear wet and smell of fuel. It's as easy as that. Then report you findings to the dealer.
I beg to differ!

We're talking modern direct injection engines here so no need for overly rich mixtures at start up. Don't you think the manufacturers test for this sort of thing until they are blue in the face?

Quick Reply: Q5 misfires alot more !!!!