Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

B&O for pop music

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default B&O for pop music

I remember reading that the O&B have less bass, was not much lounder and was less appropriate to listen to pop music than the Concert system...

Most off the Q5 in stock here have the O&B option and considering the price of that option and that I listen only pop music, I'm wondering if I would be better to order a Q5 without the B&O instead.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I've always believed that music is music whether pop or classical. I had the B&O (not the O&B btw) in my A4 and also now the high end version in my A6. While bass is subjective, IMO, unless you want to bounce the car and break glass, the B&O systems have plenty of bass if quality source material is used, especially with an SD card as the media. Tweaking the settings can make a big difference. The sound is tight and clean but not booming. The price for the option in the Q5 is a good value (way less expensive than $5900 for an A6 or A8).

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-12-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
... While bass is subjective, IMO, unless you want to bounce the car and break glass, the B&O systems have plenty of bass if quality source material is uaws, especially with an SD card as the media. Tweaking the settings can make a big difference. The sound is tight and clean but not booming. The price for the option in the Q5 is a good value ...
+1

There's not a lot of bass, but it is accurate and clean. Unless you want overwhelming bass, the I believe you'll find the B&O pleasurable listening, especially in the Q5's quiet cabin ...

my CA$0.02
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I am not satisfied with the B & O, the sound quality is ok but the strength of the bass is very bad, a special version without navigation
Real Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System is built into the A6 and A7, but the price is also real for B&O

Last edited by spijun; 09-12-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I am not satisfied with the B & O, the sound quality is ok but the strength of the bass is very bad, a special version without navigation
Real Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System is built into the A6 and A7, but the price is also real for B&O
You know if the strenght of the base in better with the "stock" system?
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I test drove the standard audio, and relative to the B&O it does not provide more bass, maybe slightly, but I definitely did not think the bass was as clean as what comes with B&O.

Some people like to "feel" the bass, as if it should "hit you in the stomach" ... this is rare in any unmodified car audio system, and certainly includes either system that comes with the Q5.

Search this forum ... at least a couple of owners have updated their systems specifically for bass. A few have simply replaced the rear bass speaker, others have gone as far as also installing a different amplifier ...

HTH
Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Believe it or not to me is a better bass have "stock" system - Audi sound system
Of course it is best to go to the dealers and compare systems

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...O+sound&page=2
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...6amp%3BO+sound
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...6amp%3BO+sound
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...O+sound&page=3

Last edited by spijun; 09-12-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had both systems. The stock system has a more muddled sounds across the board. It make seem to have slightly louder low frequency bass. However, the B&O has a cleaner tighter bass with more punch to it.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always felt that each potential buyer needs to listen to the sound system themselves to determine if it's right for them. Everyone's ears are different. If it sounds good to you go for it - If not keep listening until yo find one that works.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading that the O&B have less bass, was not much lounder and was less appropriate to listen to pop music than the Concert system...

Most off the Q5 in stock here have the O&B option and considering the price of that option and that I listen only pop music, I'm wondering if I would be better to order a Q5 without the B&O instead.
I agree with comments on B&O being crisp and bass punchy, but not necessarily overwhelming. To me though, it's at the right level.

Bass aside, it's not the genre of music really that matters, but the source. If you're just listening to the radio or iPod, your better off with the standard sound system and saving $850. If you plan to listen to CD's or other higher quality digital music, you'll notice how great the B&O can sound. I've noticed well recorded CD's sound significantly more crisp than radio/iPod.

Quick Reply: B&O for pop music