AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Q5 Navigation (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/q5-navigation-2754751/)

rdp42 06-17-2009 05:05 AM

Q5 Navigation

There are 3 options when choosing map orientation
1. North - the map is orientated to the north (only available in 2D)
2. Dir of travel - the map is orientated in the dir of travel
3. Auto

I prefer to have the arrow showing my vehicle to point in my actual direction of travel i.e. if I am traveling south, the arrow should point down; east - it should point to the right, etc. - just like I was holding a paper map in my hands.

I have tried both north and dir of travel in 2Dand it seems like no matter what I select the arrow that represents my vehicle is always pointed up and the map itself orientates itself beneath it.

What am I missing? Is there a setting where the arrow that shows your vehicle actually is orenetated in the true direction of travel?

TIME89 06-17-2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rdp42 (Post 23806040)
There are 3 options when choosing map orientation
1. North - the map is orientated to the north (only available in 2D)
2. Dir of travel - the map is orientated in the dir of travel
3. Auto

I prefer to have the arrow showing my vehicle to point in my actual direction of travel i.e. if I am traveling south, the arrow should point down; east - it should point to the right, etc. - just like I was holding a paper map in my hands.

I have tried both north and dir of travel in 2Dand it seems like no matter what I select the arrow that represents my vehicle is always pointed up and the map itself orientates itself beneath it.

What am I missing? Is there a setting where the arrow that shows your vehicle actually is orenetated in the true direction of travel?

This is how navigation work . Not only on Audi - all navigation around the globe.

rdp42 06-17-2009 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by TIME89 (Post 23806090)
This is how navigation work . Not only on Audi - all navigation around the globe.

Not true. Other NAVs both onboard and aftermarket have a North UP orientation option. This shows the orientation of the vehicle to North which is what I am looking for. My Q5 NAV shows the orentation of the MAP to north, not my vehicle (arrow on the map)

AudiCO 06-17-2009 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by rdp42 (Post 23806098)
Not true. Other NAVs both onboard and aftermarket have a North UP orientation option. This shows the orientation of the vehicle to North which is what I am looking for. My Q5 NAV shows the orentation of the MAP to north, not my vehicle (arrow on the map)

Part of what makes a map a map is that it is always oriented to north...and south and east and west. In order to have your vehicle (and arrow) oriented toward north, you must be driving north.

TIME89 06-17-2009 07:54 AM

I have 3 navigation devices - 2 in cars and 1 in my Dell PDA. All of them work the same.
Actually, I will check tonight - maybe I was wrong. Let me get back to you after 5 pm.

FitzLA 06-17-2009 09:28 AM

Sorry, but your wrong. The map can be orientated north, but like others have said, in order for the arrow to display north, you must be driving north. I have had navigation in my last 5 cars, and this is always the way it is done. Your arrow can not display north unless you are driving north. That would defeat the purpose of navigation.

edwyun 06-17-2009 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by FitzLA (Post 23806165)
That would defeat the purpose of navigation.

+1

classicform 06-17-2009 10:28 AM

What original poster is asking for is the vehicle pointing in the direction of travel, not the map. On my Garmin I can set so the map always shows north up but if I am driving south the car/arrow will show me moving towards the bottom (south) of the map. Not sure how the Nav in the Q5 works as we haven't taken delivery yet on our black/black premium+ W/Nav. Not until this Saturday anyway:)

edwyun 06-17-2009 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by classicform (Post 23806204)
What original poster is asking for is the vehicle pointing in the direction of travel, not the map. On my Garmin I can set so the map always shows north up but if I am driving south the car/arrow will show me moving towards the bottom (south) of the map. Not sure how the Nav in the Q5 works as we haven't taken delivery yet on our black/black premium+ W/Nav. Not until this Saturday anyway:)

Isn't that what the directional compass on the review mirror is for?

FitzLA 06-17-2009 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by classicform (Post 23806204)

The arrow does show the direction of travel, even if you have the map set to always show north. At least mine does.