Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Oil Consumption

I have a 2012 Q5, 173,800 approx. miles on it. I'm burning a quart of oil every 2 weeks. I called Audi of Kansas City, scheduled oil consumption test. They confirmed excessive oil consumption(Pistons need replaced). Was told Audi had had recall on on 2009 - 2011 models, not 2012. No leaks what so ever, new oil breather valve put on 3 weeks ago now this issue. $6000 repair estimate. Is this 2012 model covered under the Audi recall/class action for this issue. Any help is welcome or feedback.

Thanks
T. Carr
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

2012s were affected indeed, not sure about your particular case as you have a high milage car that might not be covered. Did you call AoA? What did dealer say when you mentioned the Oil Consumption Lawsuit? In case you are to pay for the repair please don't pay $6K to the dealer, a reputable indy shop can do it for $3,500-$4,000 using original parts.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TCarr
I have a 2012 Q5, 173,800 approx. miles on it. I'm burning a quart of oil every 2 weeks. I called Audi of Kansas City, scheduled oil consumption test. They confirmed excessive oil consumption(Pistons need replaced). Was told Audi had had recall on on 2009 - 2011 models, not 2012. No leaks what so ever, new oil breather valve put on 3 weeks ago now this issue. $6000 repair estimate. Is this 2012 model covered under the Audi recall/class action for this issue. Any help is welcome or feedback.

Thanks
T. Carr
The class action is only good to 80K miles, you far exceed that. And it was only for 2.0T engines.

You should kiss your Q5 every day that it only consumes a quart of oil every 2 week with that high mileage. Most Audi's with that mileage are usually in the scrap yard by then. Anything over 100K miles with out major issues is a bonus.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Anything over 100K miles with out major issues is a bonus.
Do you mean oil consumption related issues? I know a couple of people with "fixed" 2.0T engines from 2009 (Q5 & A4 Quattro) that are well over 120K miles with no major issues, I'm talking about well taken care cars, both cars where dealer fixed at around 70K miles.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
Do you mean oil consumption related issues? I know a couple of people with "fixed" 2.0T engines from 2009 (Q5 & A4 Quattro) that are well over 120K miles with no major issues, I'm talking about well taken care cars, both cars where dealer fixed at around 70K miles.
When you say Indy shop, clarify that for me? I take it you don't mean just any automotive shop. It is a Q5 and what makes it so bad, the damn car is in excellent condition. I've just had the car 2 months, bought it to keep mileage down on my other car. The main issue is I bought a extended warranty because of the high mileage understanding that I was buying a car with a lot of mileage. The warranty is a POS and that was my first and last time buying a extended warranty. Now, if I can find a indy shop as you say that will do the repair for $3000 to $4000 that would be better for me all the way round.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When you say Indy shop, clarify that for me? I take it you don't mean just any automotive shop. It is a Q5 and what makes it so bad, the damn car is in excellent condition. I've just had the car 2 months, bought it to keep mileage down on my other car. The main issue is I bought a extended warranty because of the high mileage understanding that I was buying a car with a lot of mileage. The warranty is a POS and that was my first and last time buying a extended warranty. Now, if I can find a indy shop as you say that will do the repair for $3000 to $4000 that would be better for me all the way round.

Thanks
By Indy shop I meant a car repair shop specialized in German brands like Audi, BMW, Porsche. You can even find a used engine in eBay for a fraction of the money the dealer asked you but you have to know exactly what to buy.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Gotcha, Thanks for the input
Old 09-19-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Gotcha, Thanks for the input
I'd recommend going to a shop which specializes in VAG vehicles: VW, Audi, etc... vs. a general German Auto shop, since BMW and Porsche's don't share many component components or even engine types (i.e. interference engines).

You can always post here where you are located and folks could recommend local shops that know their way around your specific vehicle.

OP, you stated you recently purchased the vehicle, did you get a good PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done prior to purchase. I know it can be $200+, but the piece of mind and the fact you get to see the car up on a lift and see an noticeable leaks is a BIG advantage.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im not sure if this is the correct way to reply, I have a 2009 A4 and I have been on this case since the replacement of my rings and pistons, which by the way doesnt even cover all the damage that was done on the rest of the motor, its a ridiculous overcharges band aid. My A4 was done at 65K miles at which time the dealerships were givin the option to change out the timing belt or not, after 43K miles my timing belt jumped a tooth and blew the motor. I did just receive a claim form for problem related to the timing belt, but there is always a problem when youve starved a motor and its components of oil. As far as i know they put this motor out for 5 years so yes your car is included sadly your too late, yes Audi continually sold these ****ty motors that were poorly engineered knowing many of these cars would not make past repayment. to compound the painful expense they put choices into the dealerships hands, as if they give a crap, because they dont. Sorry for the bad news but unfortunately replacing the pistons and rings are infact just a bandage, that does not fix the actual problem. People should get what they though they were purchasing and not this half assed service.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

$6000 will buy you 750 quarts of oil. (1500 weeks...28 years, or reverse the logic. If you want/try to keep it for 5 years you only need 130 quarts $1040. LOL.) As bad as it sounds I would probably just keep dumping the oil in it til it dies if you can't get them to cover it. No friend to the environment but I think that is not a factor. It is only worth maybe $5k even less if it has major problems as stated. I probably wouldn't even bother with full oil changes either. Maybe just change the filter once a year since it is on top/easy. It does suck that your extended warranty is useless, but that happens a lot unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Q5 Oil Consumption