Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
That's a huge assumption to make, as it relates to the OPs original question. CEL does not always = carbon buildup.

OP, I'd recommend step one that you actually pull a full VCDS log with all the error codes and then post that here. Then we should provide you some insight as to what might be the cause of the issue.

BTW, I'm VERY familiar with carbon build-up issues on the FSI engines, here's a write-up I did on it awhile back: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24523204

Oh and here's a great DIY on how to clean the carbon: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...clean-2764902/

Thank you , much appreciated. Here's what codes are coming up: P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range); P0300 Mulpile Cylinder Misfire: P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire; P0016 Crankshaft Position, Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A; P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire: P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire; P0304 Cylinder Cylinder 4 Misfire; P0506 Idle Air Control System RPM Lower than Expected.

Any suggestions on a fix to get it running again?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Lohnes
Thank you , much appreciated. Here's what codes are coming up: P0341 (Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range); P0300 Mulpile Cylinder Misfire: P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire; P0016 Crankshaft Position, Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A; P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire: P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire; P0304 Cylinder Cylinder 4 Misfire; P0506 Idle Air Control System RPM Lower than Expected.

Any suggestions on a fix to get it running again?
Couple of questions/comment:
  1. Looks like you ordered a generic scanner since all these codes are generic and aren't pulled via a VCDS
  2. Where are you located and perhaps somewhere here can recommend a good local independent garage for you to visit
  3. Have you read through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2919775/page2/
  4. Can you post a vid of exactly what you're experiencing and better yet another of the engine when you attempt to crank so we can hear the audio really well?
Thanks
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Couple of questions/comment:
  1. Looks like you ordered a generic scanner since all these codes are generic and aren't pulled via a VCDS
  2. Where are you located and perhaps somewhere here can recommend a good local independent garage for you to visit
  3. Have you read through this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2919775/page2/
  4. Can you post a vid of exactly what you're experiencing and better yet another of the engine when you attempt to crank so we can hear the audio really well?
Thanks
Thanks for the quick reply. I will grab a video or two tonight and will post. I did read through that thread...and it scared me . I'm located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada if anyone has a suggestion on a good independent. When key depressed, the engine will crank but not start. Giving it gas does nothing.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just notice that in my title of this thread I said 3.2L. My bad and typo, the engine is the 2.0T. Please clink on link for video of engine while trying to start it...

Could it be the crankshaft position sensor? Camshaft sensor?
Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Lohnes Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what I'm hearing is a bent valve contacting the top of a piston due to camshaft crankshaft miscoordination - translation chain/tensioner assembly has failed.I've been wrong once or twice in my life hah, and in this case I hope I am, but next step is a compression test.Report back.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Lohnes Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but what I'm hearing is a bent valve contacting the top of a piston due to camshaft crankshaft miscoordination - translation chain/tensioner assembly has failed.I've been wrong once or twice in my life hah, and in this case I hope I am, but next step is a compression test.Report back.

I see lots online about performing a compression test on my own, which I'm too afraid of doing. Anything to be cautious of? Any better way of doing it with this engine?
Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Lohnes
I see lots online about performing a compression test on my own, which I'm too afraid of doing. Anything to be cautious of? Any better way of doing it with this engine?
why are you afraid of such a simple troubleshooting test? Also, very strange how you didn't know that you had a 3.2 or 2.0T engine.

Here's the simple instructions: How to Check an Engine's Cylinder Compression - dummies

Basically it's remove spark plugs, install compression gauge, turn engine over for a few seconds and then watch what the reading are.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

why are you afraid of such a simple troubleshooting test? Also, very strange how you didn't know that you had a 3.2 or 2.0T engine.

Here's the simple instructions: How to Check an Engine's Cylinder Compression - dummies

Basically it's remove spark plugs, install compression gauge, turn engine over for a few seconds and then watch what the reading are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W0kQeTvURU

Lol, thanks. Just noticed my typo. Meant "not afraid" and not "too afraid". Appreciate your reply.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Just want to add that it wouldn't be bad to kill your fuel supply, pull a fuse to the lift (rear) pump,you're still going to get shots of high pressure fuel because the high pressure pump is engine driven and will pump whatever is left in the line from the lift pump.No smoking.Come back with the values you pull for all 4 cylinders.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is your Q5? Can you possibly post the manufacture date on the front engine sticker?

Im sorry to see this. It sounds like an A4 that I saw at a shop. It had the chain tensioner issue. I am praying our 2012 Q5 doesn't have this.

Quick Reply: Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start