Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 shakes bad on some Freeways/roads but not on smooth one's

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 shakes bad on some Freeways/roads but not on smooth one's

Hello I just bought a 2014 Q5 had two mechanics give me the all clear and test drove perfectly fine on new freeway in North county San Diego. Then on driving home when going over certain parts of the highway started to shake really bad and then when the road would get smooth again no shaking took it to my mechanic who told me he couldn't find anything wrong with it and he test drove it w no problems. I then took it back next day told him to please check again then he actually drove on freeway with uneven part and called me and said wow that thing shakes like crazy and something is definitely wrong but he still couldn't find what it was he said probably the axel or transmission and have an appointment set with a allignemt shop he likes later this week... Pretty nervous already 14500 in to it and terrified I'm gonna have to replace the transmission. Would love to hear if anyone has had a similar issue and what the cause ended up being?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JimWing
Hello I just bought a 2014 Q5 had two mechanics give me the all clear and test drove perfectly fine on new freeway in North county San Diego. Then on driving home when going over certain parts of the highway started to shake really bad and then when the road would get smooth again no shaking took it to my mechanic who told me he couldn't find anything wrong with it and he test drove it w no problems. I then took it back next day told him to please check again then he actually drove on freeway with uneven part and called me and said wow that thing shakes like crazy and something is definitely wrong but he still couldn't find what it was he said probably the axel or transmission and have an appointment set with a allignemt shop he likes later this week... Pretty nervous already 14500 in to it and terrified I'm gonna have to replace the transmission. Would love to hear if anyone has had a similar issue and what the cause ended up being?

How many miles on it?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Mine used to vibrate at 75-80 mph on the highway, took it for an alignment and it turned to be a bad set of tires, they were out of shape, new tires, alignment, balancing the wheels and problem gone. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes one of the common vibration at speed sources is a "shifted belt" in one or more tires.It's really hard to diagnose.What brand of tires and how many miles on them ?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Besides tires, also possible it is worn suspension parts. Try moderate braking from freeway speeds and see if it shakes through steering. If it shakes and/or pulses through brakes, do not automatically assume it is warped brake rotors BTW, as many do. Also look for wear on inside edges of front tires. Check and report back.